PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Handplane

Don Emmerling
03-19-2016, 6:08 PM
This may be a problem with me or just a common problem with planing. Let me describe the situation. I can take any one of my handplanes (Stanley and others) an plane a smooth piece of wood and I get nice thin shavings. The plane goes over the board nicely. Set the plane down pick up a similar smooth board and try that plane again. Only this time I do not get far at all as the plane blade takes to big of bite and it comes to a screeching halt. What goes on there? Is it just as though I had lowered the blade too far, only I have not changed the blade setting. Can differences from board to board be that different when one is apparently planing what seem to be two identically smooth boards? Appreciate anyone that can enlighten me.

Thanks

Brian Holcombe
03-19-2016, 6:12 PM
Don, perhaps the lever cap is loose and you're loosing your adjustment. Tighten the nut until the cap tightens nicely by hand.

David Wong
03-19-2016, 7:00 PM
Could you be planing against the grain, in the second case? Happens to me if I read the grain incorrectly.

Robert Engel
03-19-2016, 7:40 PM
What they both said ^^^.

Warren Mickley
03-19-2016, 7:54 PM
Here is one possibility. Some guys don't quite plane to the edge of the board. When planing the face of a board, you really should take some passes with the plane about half off each edge to keep from planing a hollow. So it could be that your first board was very slightly hollow from your planing and the plane was adjusted to compensate. Then when you planed on another board that was much flatter, it revealed the real depth of cut of your iron.

Jeff Keith
03-20-2016, 11:04 AM
Are you getting full shavings of uniform thickness on the first board?

Don Emmerling
03-20-2016, 11:22 AM
Thanks Brian for responding. At the out set I thought maybe that was happening, so to exclude that as a possibility, I just kept the plane in my hand and changed the wood I was planing. Same result. This does not happen on every board I try. Some board switches plane just as good as the first. It seems to be related to the next board I am planing. I carefully set the depth of cut on the first board, make a nice smooth cut, without setting the plane down I use another board and it bites to deep. Pick a third board and it may or may not take a big bite. Stumped.

Don Emmerling
03-20-2016, 11:24 AM
Thanks all. I will have to try all of your suggestions. I am sure it is something small and I am just not seeing it.

Don

Jim Koepke
03-20-2016, 12:54 PM
One way to possibly narrow down what is taking place is to have a test piece. Either the board you have set up with shavings coming off as you first set them or a small piece of scrap wood as is done in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpQSDI0SNIc

This then becomes your reference so you can determine if the plane is changing or if it is the wood.

My guess is if it is happening with more than one or two planes from different previous owners, then it is changes in the wood you are using.

If the plane is changing during or between uses there are a few possible culprits.

jtk

Brian Holcombe
03-20-2016, 3:14 PM
On the board that does it, spin it around 180 and make another pass, if the problem is solved than David's suggestion was accurate and you were planing against the grain.

Dave Beauchesne
03-20-2016, 8:04 PM
Are you using the same species of wood??
When doing a set up block, make sure it is the same species of wood. Every species ( and even between trees ) has different characteristics and the results can vary widely.
The other responses contain good advice. Good luck.