PDA

View Full Version : Are breadboard ends necessary?

Tim Sander
09-14-2005, 9:13 PM
Hi, first time posting but been to this site many times and have learned alot from you guys. I'm building a trestle table out of QSWO and was wondering if I need breadboard ends. I think I can make them if I had to but they sound time consuming and a bit of a hassle. I'm also wondering if I did use them (I'm spraying lacquer) would the finish crack or peel with yearly movement. Also how would you size it,flush,slightly smaller or bigger. I was hoping with QSWO that movement or cuping of any kind would be minimal, moisture content is about 8%. I live in the northwest and expect some movement. Any experience would be much appreciated. By the way I'm using 6/4.

Jim Becker
09-14-2005, 9:27 PM
They are not "needed"...it's a style thing. That said, they can be helpful in controlling a top that has less support under it and a trestle table is a good example. You usually only have two (or maybe three for a really big table) cross pieces to both support the top and keep it flat. Sprayed lacquer is generally relatively thin so it is unlikely you'll have any unsightly "cracking" at the joint from the movement that will occur.

Steve Clardy
09-14-2005, 9:52 PM
I feel they look better with bread board ends, and help support the top somewhat, from bowing, etc.

By the way, Welcome to the Creek!!

Steve

Jim Young
09-14-2005, 10:10 PM
When building our table last year I decided to not go with the breadboard ends. My top is made out of mahagony using five seperate boards. To date there hasn't been any noticable movement in the top with respect to flatness. If you were using really wide boards I would add the breadboard ends.

http://marsh-monster.com/forum/wiki/uploads/Projects/jy_Table2.jpg

Gail O'Rourke
09-14-2005, 10:25 PM
Tim, I have a client who I will building a trestle table for next month. They requested the breadboard ends...some informative person directed me to the fine woodworking edition on the trestle table, I ordered it and it is very helpful. The number is #141, you may want to check out the way they do theirs...

Good luck.

Sam Blasco
09-14-2005, 11:22 PM
Needed is a strong word... But, they work, are attractive, show off your skills (really doesn't require that much advanced know-how, tools or set up), and most importantly of all - you will have so much fun doing them. Always use an odd number of tenons - 3 for 24" or less, 5 up to 36", 7 up to 48", etc. Just a little dab of glue on the even numbered tenons and let the offset pins in the elongated holes do their job. Here's a sample of a dining room table:

[/IMG]

Tim Sander
09-15-2005, 2:45 AM
Thanks, Sam your breadboard ends look great. One question, I thought your suppose to only glue the center 4 inches or so.

Keith Weber
09-15-2005, 6:56 AM
Tim,

If you do do breadboards, I would do as you say and secure it only in the center and use the elongated holes on either side of center.

Keith