PDA

View Full Version : Seco jointer

Craig Zettle
09-14-2005, 8:42 PM
Any of you guys ever heard of them? I googled and got basic info, no actual owners. Made in Taiwan, which is actually better (in my opinion) than China.

Craig Zettle
09-15-2005, 7:11 AM
Since there was such a crush of information on this jointer I thought I would update you all on it. I found the price of a new one to be 995, and the auction got one bid at the starting price of 600 for a 14 year old model.

Ebay never, I mean never ceases to amaze me. 14 years ago that thing might have sold new for that price. Maybe people either don't research what they are buying or just have so much money they don't care.

Bill Lewis
09-15-2005, 7:33 AM
People do the same at live auctions too. It has happened at every one I've ever attended. I guess it goes to show that something is only worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it, even if that means paying more than retail.

Earl Kelly
09-15-2005, 8:57 AM
Craig, I have one in an 8" model. It's served me well, better than a Grizzly but maybe not as good as a DJ 20. My machinery sales guy convinced me to get this versus a powermatic, it had a 2hp versus 11/2hp for the PM and it has a 4 knife cutterhead. I will trade up one day but with sharp blades this one does the job for now. Just wish it was 2" wider and 10" longer. Oh yeah, I paid 900 something 5 yrs. ago.

Craig Zettle
09-15-2005, 9:30 AM
Thanks for the info Earl. The current 8" model has a 3hp motor, and that is what caught my attention, as most jointers in that size-price point have a 1 1/2 to 2hp motor.