PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning my lathe

Brian Kent
03-19-2016, 11:47 AM
All of the working parts are clean. The ways are clean. The problem is the paint and plastic.
Over the last several years I have accumulated countless layers of de-waxed shellac, wipe-on Poly, WTF, sawdust, and who knows what else. I have accidentally formed a finish which neither alcohol nor paint thinner removes.

Is there a safe chemical that will remove the mess without removing the nice Delta Grey paint job?

Paul Williams
03-19-2016, 1:08 PM
No. Maybe sandpaper. I think any solvent that removes a combination of those finishes would also remove the grey paint.

Brian Kent
03-19-2016, 1:40 PM
I just lightly sanded with a sanding sponge. It is getting through a couple of layers, and I wonder if using paint thinner on the sanding sponge will get some more.

John Grace
03-19-2016, 3:14 PM
You could try either 'Goof Off' or 'Rust Off' on a 3M scrub pad...I've had good luck with Goof Off and it's readily available at Depot or Lowe's. Good luck...

Mark Greenbaum
03-19-2016, 4:23 PM
MEK if you can get it, will cut through everything, but evaporates quickly. It even removes permanent magic marker from painted walls without hurting the paint.

robert baccus
03-19-2016, 10:22 PM
Leave it be! You have created the ultimate rust proof patina finish that shows you are an old pro!

Reed Gray
03-19-2016, 10:47 PM
Yea, like Robert said.... Patina! I can still read most of the labels on my Beauty...

robo hippy

Joe Kieve
03-20-2016, 8:35 AM
"MEK if you can get it, will cut through everything, but evaporates quickly. It even removes permanent magic marker from painted walls without hurting the paint."

Wear a respirator if you use MEK; it's potent stuff. We used to use it at work and it was called "methyl ethyl death". IIRC it accumulates in the liver or kidneys. Can't remember which.

Michael Schneider
03-20-2016, 8:55 AM
My shop is in the basement so I don't have the best ventilation. I switched to low VOC finishes and solvents. I use Citra Solve cleaner and degreaser. It is very concentrated and does an amazingly good job on many things.

You can get it and many places, but I usually just order from amazon http://www.amazon.com/Citra-Cleaner-Degreaser-Concentrate-Valencia/dp/B007GMTW2W/ref=pd_bia_nav_t_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=04ENTVHC0TP1856RE4H3

Mark Greenbaum
03-20-2016, 9:20 AM
Citric cleaners if left on too long will strip to bare metal. Don't ask how I know.

david privett
03-20-2016, 11:49 AM
maybe you could try a heat gun to soften and a careful use of a flat razor scraper

Brian Kent
03-23-2016, 12:32 PM
Two things are working. First - sandpaper takes the bumps of junk down a little. Second - Windex with sanding sponges.

And then as a follow up for a couple of chipped paint parts I am following the recommendation of an old Sawmill Creek post and ordered Rustoleum Light Machine Grey spray paint.

Prashun Patel
03-23-2016, 12:46 PM
If it were me, I would have hit it with some Micromesh as you have done so successfully in the past, and rub out that finish so it becomes a feature not a bug ;)

Hope you are well, Brian!!! Don't see you around the flat parts any more. You and JK have sadly left that world!!!

Brian Kent
03-23-2016, 3:44 PM
I am well, Prashun. What flat things are you working on now?

Prashun Patel
03-23-2016, 4:24 PM
Aw, this and that. Nothing compares to our first love, though. That Rocker thread has close to 100,000 views...

Brian Kent
03-23-2016, 4:55 PM
Aw, this and that. Nothing compares to our first love, though. That Rocker thread has close to 100,000 views...

Oh, my goodness!

Paul Engle
03-23-2016, 6:04 PM
I vote for the patina ! mine has 7 years on it and .... I like it !