PDA

View Full Version : Shelf Pin Holes -- Drill before or after finishing?

George Bokros
03-19-2016, 10:29 AM
I have always drilled after finishing but now want to drill before finishing. My thought is that the finish will run into the holes and the pins will not fit easily. I could redrill after finish to clean them out.

What do you do?

Thanks

Cary Falk
03-19-2016, 10:42 AM
I always drill before because I want the holes stained with the rest of the project so they don't stick out like a sore thumb. I have never had a problem with the pins not fitting.

Gerry Grzadzinski
03-19-2016, 10:59 AM
If you're spraying the finish, it won't get in the holes.
Brushing, otoh, may give you problems.

Jamie Buxton
03-19-2016, 11:00 AM
How are you applying finish? I usually spray cabinets, or occasionally wipe on varnish, and neither of those give a problem with finish in the holes. If you're brushing, the edge of the hole may well scrape a lot of finish into the hole.

Martin Wasner
03-19-2016, 12:06 PM
Unless you're painting with a brush '
there isn't going to be enough that fills the holes that you'll notice. I have a builder that everything painted is done with a brush, things like bookcases I just put a 5mm bit in a cordless drill and ream the holes in reverse if they're really gunked in.

Lee Schierer
03-19-2016, 1:01 PM
I always drill the holes before finishing. I even use a q-tip to get stain down in the holes if the wood is stained. I've had a few holes get enough finish in them that the pin doesn't want to go in. I have an old drill chuck that I put in a 1/4" bit into and hand ream the holes that are too tight.

Von Bickley
03-19-2016, 2:16 PM
I drill the holes first......

John TenEyck
03-19-2016, 6:34 PM
Same here, first. If you get any tear out on an already finished surface it's ugly. A little tear out before finishing disappears during the finishing process.

John

John T Barker
03-19-2016, 8:58 PM
I would think any sort of error or blemish would be the reason for first?

John T Barker
03-19-2016, 8:59 PM
If you're spraying the finish, it won't get in the holes.
Brushing, otoh, may give you problems.

Why wouldn't spray get in a hole?