PDA

View Full Version : Replacement sandpaper for a Jet 16-32 drum sander?

Greg Urwiller
03-19-2016, 9:05 AM
Years ago I built my own drum sander. Works great but you have to push the wood through by hand and it's easy to get a divot in the wood if you slow up too much. Unfortunately it's hard to see it sometimes UNTIL you get the piece finished. Anyway, I just found a 2 year old Jet 16-32 plus close to me and ended up buying it. The sandpaper it's got on it is pretty coarse. I'd like to have a finer grit on it. The sander I built uses a velcro type setup. I have a roll (or two) of cloth backed paper sitting here. Suppose it would be possible to use this paper on the Jet? It would be easy enough to remove the existing paper and use it for a pattern. No big deal ordering new paper for the Jet, but just thought I make use of what I had. Thank you. Greg

John K Jordan
03-19-2016, 9:16 AM
The rolls you have should be fine.

I buy rolls for my Performax 22-44 and use the original as a pattern. The rolls are cheaper per change than the pre-cut strips, especially when I catch them on sale on Amazon.

JKJ

Greg Urwiller
03-19-2016, 10:59 AM
I didn't think the thicker backing should cause any problems. Thanks.

Jeff Bartley
03-19-2016, 3:00 PM
Greg, using a thicker sandpaper might require a readjustment of the pressure rollers but otherwise it would be fine. I found that the Abranet rolls work pretty good with a velcro set up.