PDA

View Full Version : Redsail x700 head speed issue

Stuart Hampton
03-19-2016, 7:51 AM
Hi Guys,

Firstly, thanks for all the great info on here, it has been a real help.

Sadly, I have hit something I have not seen on the boards.

I have bought an x700 60W laser from ebay that works fine on MDF and acrylic, however I am now starting into paper and card cutting and have a problem.

I cannot get the laser speed to go above 400mm/s. The laser is advertised as being able to do up to 1000mm/s but I just cannot get that.

Given that the laser is through eBay, I dont expect any great help from the seller. I hope you guys can help.

It uses an RDC644XG Control System. I am using RD Works v8 through Corel Draw X5 and the files setup just fine. However, when I run them on the laser, if the speed is above 400mm/s, it only cuts at 400mm/s.

Anyone else had this? What do I change in the setup to get the higher speeds?

Cheers,

Stuart

Clark Pace
03-19-2016, 8:24 AM
Hello,

I have x700 is a little older, and I had a similar issue. Nothing past 500mm. The 400mm is likely hard coded into the board on the machine like mine. But you can change it. I bumped mine up to 700mm, No you can do more, but I didn't want to push it. I would say update the speed a bit. Like 50mm at a time and do a test run. At some point you will not get a reliable cut. That is the belts may start to slip.

Now how to do it. Go to your vendor setting on the the software. I run laser works, not sure what you are using. It's a version of rdworks Go to vendor settings. It will ask for a pasword. My mine was rd8888. Once you get in you can tell the machine to read current settings. You can also save current setting to your hard drive or usb(what ever). I would do that. Once you read the settings go down to your speed. It should say max 400mm. Change it to what you want. Save the setting back to the machine, and try it out.

That is how you do it on mine. So like everything here. The risk is all yours, and I take to responsibility for problems that may arise while doing changes. I guess that it's inferred. But if you try it and need any extra help let me know.

Stuart Hampton
03-19-2016, 9:19 AM
Hi Clark,

Thanks for the fast reply and thanks for the password.

I have had a look at the software, and the max speed is ste in RDWorks as 1000mm/s (see photo).

The problem must be on the laser itself, any ideas?

One thing I should mention - I use the software seperate to the laser. I generate the files and then take them to the laser on a USB stick. Would attaching the PC directly to the laser allow for altering the settings in the laser?

Cheers,

Stuart

Jerome Stanek
03-19-2016, 9:28 AM
Once in did you do a read.

Stuart Hampton
03-19-2016, 9:32 AM
Hi Jerome,

Missed that bit in my haste. Thanks for the prompt.

Cheers,

Stuart

Stuart Hampton
03-20-2016, 5:23 AM
Hi Guys,

I have got the laptop hooked up to the laser and I am sending jobs to the laser OK. So the laser and laptop are talking.

I have read the laser settings (then saved them) and changed the speed.

Nothing. The software says that the setting is higer than 400mm/s but the laser still only reads as cutting at 400mm/s regardess of what speed I send it.

Help!

Cheers,

Stuart

Stuart Hampton
03-20-2016, 5:27 AM
Hi Clark,

I have got the laptop hooked up to the laser and I am sending jobs to the laser OK. So the laser and laptop are talking.

Nothing. The software says that the setting at 600mm/s (also tried 450,500 and 550) but the laser still only cuts at 400mm/s regardess of what speed I send it.

Help!

Cheers,

Stuart

Jerome Stanek
03-20-2016, 8:04 AM
Hi Clark,

Nothing. The software says that the setting at 600mm/s (also tried 450,500 and 550) but the laser still only cuts at 400mm/s regardess of what speed I send it.

Help!

Cheers,

Stuart

After you changed it in the software did you write it back to the laser?

Stuart Hampton
03-20-2016, 8:09 AM
Yep, the software seemed to react OK. I (in desperation) even turned the laser off and on again, then re-read the settings.

The new setting was set in the laser according to the software, however, the laser itself does not run at higher than 400mm/s.

Clark Pace
03-20-2016, 9:11 AM
What about engraving speed. Sorry I can't help on the cutting part. I've never cut past 200mm. I have never needed to or tried. I have only engraved up to 700mm. So maybe mine stops at 400mm as well when it comes to cutting.

Stuart Hampton
03-20-2016, 12:49 PM
Hi Clark,

Not too sure about the engraving speed, but you have already been a great help.

I will persevere and post if I have any success.

Cheers,

Stuart