PDA

View Full Version : question for Neils Larson about his Festool TS 55 Saw

timothy mckee
09-14-2005, 5:22 PM
Hi Neils.... I did a search for this saw on the forum and found a thread where you said you owned the Festool TS 55 plunge saw. Have you had an opportunity to compare or use this model against the ATF model on sale. The TS55 will be coming available around January...just trying to decide if I want to get the ATF(which is on sale here in the United States), or the newer version.The TS model has some upgrades but it would be more expensive and I'd have to wait. Any input would be great!

Gene Collison
09-14-2005, 5:28 PM
I have owned the ATF 55 for several years now, I am well satsfied with it. Don't know anything about the latest and greatest but if an ATF 55 were offered to me at a good price I would be inclined to jump on it if I were you. Particularly in consideration of how the prices are escalating.

Gene

Dave Falkenstein
09-14-2005, 6:44 PM
I also have the ATF 55 saw, and several other Festools. All wonderful stuff. There was a thread recently on the Festool Owners Group at Yahoo that discussed the differences between the older ATF 55 and the newer TS 55. Check out that thread for lots of knowledgeable input. The clearance price on the ATF 55 makes it really attractive, and the new features are relatively minor improvements, except for easier blade changes, IMHO.

Michael Ballent
09-14-2005, 7:15 PM
...except for easier blade changes, IMHO.

Who does that ;) :rolleyes::cool:

John Stevens
09-14-2005, 9:40 PM
The TS55 will be coming available around January

Tim, how sure are you of that?

Ian Barley
09-15-2005, 2:17 AM
I have the TS55. I can't make a direct comparison because I have never used the ATF. The TS55 is the best engineered, most user friendly, most pleasant to use handheld power tool that I have ever experienced. Dust collection is breathtaking and the accuracy is excellent. The blade chage really is easy but, like Michael says, I still don't use it much.

Can't speak for the price difference you are looking at but if you get the TS55 the pleasure of the quality will last a lot longer than the pain of the price.

Niels J. Larsen
09-15-2005, 1:50 PM
What Ian said :D

/Niels

Niels J. Larsen
09-15-2005, 2:03 PM
Seriously - the TS 55 is a wonderful piece of machinery.
I haven't used the ATF, but looking at the pictures/specs from the Festool website, I'm pretty sure that some of the features the TS 55 have (and the ATF doesn't) are :

- pivotable dust extraction port - meaning the port on the saw will turn (it's in a fixed angle) with the hose attached. This makes it easier to move the hose away from any obstacles as you make your cut.

- base made of solid cast aluminium (from what I can tell, the ATF is made of steel ?)

- broader RPM range (2000-5200 for the TS55 - 2000-4800 for the ATF55)

- cut depth at 45 degrees is 43mm for the TS55 - 41 for the ATF55

- the TS55 weighs 4,5 kg - the ATF55 weighs 4,8 kg

- SBS-engine brake - meaning that the saw blade will stop within about 1 second after you release the button on the TS55 (don't know if the ATF has this)

- detachable power cord (plug-it) on the TS55 (don't know if the ATF has this either)

/Niels

Christian Aufreiter
09-15-2005, 2:55 PM
Seriously - the TS 55 is a wonderful piece of machinery.
- base made of solid cast aluminium (from what I can tell, the ATF is made of steel ?)

- SBS-engine brake - meaning that the saw blade will stop within about 1 second after you release the button on the TS55 (don't know if the ATF has this)

As far as I know, the TS 55's base is made of magnesium.

IIRC the European ATF 55 was available as ATF 55 EB model. This means that the Euro ATF already had the engine brake mentioned. I guess that Festool USA had to remove it from their saws in order to get UL approval. Sounds strange and is strange IMO but I think it also happened with the OF 1400 router.

Some more features of the TS 55 series:
- Detachable splinterguard in order to get splinter free cuts on both sides.
- Adjusting the base of the saw on the guide rail doesn't require tools.
- Fast Fix blade change.
- Spring loaded riving knife. The riving knife automatically retracts when a plunge cut is made.
- Soft grip.

Hope this helps,

Christian

timothy mckee
09-15-2005, 3:12 PM
Thanks Niels(sorry for misspelling your name!) and others for your input..it just makes me want the new saw even more, even though I would have to wait!

timothy mckee
09-15-2005, 3:16 PM
John, I talked to a representative at Festool in Goleta, Calif. and he told me that Jan. 1, 2006 was what he had heard, but it is not conclusive. It could still change. But I have also found that the members of this forum seem to know more about the tools themselves than any of the Reps form Goleta.

Gene Collison
09-15-2005, 6:53 PM
An easy way to remove the blade on the ATF 55 is to plunge the blade between the jaws of your bench vise. Tighten it enough to hold the blade and have at it. Very simple.

Gene