PDA

View Full Version : First, you get a box of parts...

steven c newman
03-18-2016, 1:38 PM
And see what you can build with them......

A friend sent me a large box of his "spare" plane parts. Base castings, frogs, handles, bolts, and a couple chipbreakers...combined with what I had on hand..
One of the spare frogs. There was almost enough parts for a Stanley #1204, lacks a chipbreaker and iron. Three block plane bases. And enough parts for that Stanley #5
Well, there was two #5 bases, this type 16 and a type 6. The frog matched the type16. Still need the T-6 frog. Handle got a replacement, after I had glued up the broken one from the box. I had a tote bolt in my box of spares. Adjuster wheel, too. Chipbreaker MIGHT be from the 1204, and the irons for both were mine. The one I used for this #5 is from Home Depot, when they were selling 2" replacement irons. Got busy, and shined the rest of the parts up..
Looks a bit more respectable? Lever cap was in the box, not quite a T-16 style, maybe a bit older. Needed the end ground a bit, big chunk was missing from one corner...
Japanning was almost 80% intact...
And, after a bit of fettling
Edgegrain from a White Oak panel.

Now, I may or may not finish out the Handyman #4.......as for some of the other parts? Block plane bases are 2 No.110s and a #220. Rusty ones. May shine them up for the bay? The T-6 base? Needs a LOT of parts, and a lot of rust removed. otherwise, it may go on to the Bay, as well. Not sure yet. The just finished #5 can be my "Rough Work" plane, so I can keep the "better" ones for more "Fine" work.

Not a bad way to spend a lazy afternoon...:rolleyes:

Chris Hachet
03-18-2016, 1:53 PM
Looking good, Steven!

Jim Koepke
03-18-2016, 2:00 PM
Now all you need is a way to catch a bolt of lightning to turn those Frankenplanes into real planing monsters. :D

People are always looking for parts on thee bay.

steven c newman
03-23-2016, 10:14 PM
Apparently not.....had to relist a few times for a couple #26 plane parts, finally just gave up. haven't had time to work up a listing for the bay......single parts? Or, a large "lot"?

The Jack plane seems to be working just fine......just needs the correct lever cap.

Stew Denton
03-23-2016, 10:47 PM
Hi Steven,

Good job!

I do think Jim is right on the parts though. I am looking for parts on the Bay fairly often, unfortunately, but the right parts don't show up too often, and I have limits what I am willing to pay. So on those rare occasion when the right part shows up I sometimes get outbid. I am getting less patient though, so may start paying more than I would like.

Other times, I think that people sometimes want too much for parts, though, and that is sometimes why you see the same part listed month after month. It isn't that people aren't interested, it's just that people like me won't pay $45 plus shipping for the frog for a $70 plane. Even if I need the part, I just won't pay that much. Sooner or later the part may show up for a more reasonable price, and if it doesn't I still won't pay that much, unless it is for a tool that has some family history.

I am not saying you do that, but I think it can be a factor in why parts don't sell for a long time sometimes..

Stew