PDA

View Full Version : General Lathe Questions

John Branam
09-14-2005, 4:40 PM
I am looking at buying my first lathe. Currently I am still at the research stage and have a couple of questions:

1. What does swing over bed mean? I am assuming that it is the distance from the centerpoint to the bed of the lathe?

I plan to start by turning bowls and candle sticks and as I learn more move into more ambitous projects so;

2. What are the basic turning tools that I will need to get started turning?

Thanks in advance!

Jim Ketron
09-14-2005, 5:21 PM
I am looking at buying my first lathe. Currently I am still at the research stage and have a couple of questions:

1. What does swing over bed mean? I am assuming that it is the distance from the centerpoint to the bed of the lathe?

I plan to start by turning bowls and candle sticks and as I learn more move into more ambitous projects so;

Thanks in advance!
1*If you have a 10'' swing over bed lathe for an example, that means that this is the largest piece the lathe can swing (to the max) so you will only be able to turn things under the 10" size. on a lathe this size! The distance would be from center to the bed ways would be 5"
2*I would sugest getting the 8 pc set from Harbor Freight its HSS and go from there for the spindal work and add on as you need diff ones.
I would get a good bowl gouge in the 3/8 to 1/2 inch size to start out with There are many good brands to choose from.
you will need a grinder or some way to keep your tools sharp, and also look at getting a wolverine jig with the vari-grind, to make sharpining the bowl gouges and all your lathe tools much easier;)
also you might want to get a good chuck for the bowl work to hold your bowls. I would get a good brand name.
I could go on all day with this thread.:D as you develop your turning skills and want to do diff things on the lathe you can add tools as needed
(JUST A WARNING) your getting ready to go down a slipery slope.

Don Baer
09-14-2005, 5:23 PM
I new to wood turning and use a old metal lathe but as I do more I can see some merit in getting one designed for turning wood. That said.

Yes from the center of the spindle

I picked up a set from Harbor freight that are High speed steel and they make a great starter set. They sell for around $36. Here is a link 47066-3VGA (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=47066)

Harry Pye
09-14-2005, 8:38 PM
Swing is the diameter of the largest piece that can be turned over the bed of the lathe. Often the manufacturer will also quote the maximum diameter that may be turned over the tool rest. Both specifications have meaning. Often the tool rest design and the way it is positioned will allow you to turn larger diameters than the "over the tool rest" diameter indicates.

What tools should you buy? That is a really tough question. If you are going to turn nothing but bowls, get a swept back bowl gouge, some scrapers and a parting tool. Oh, I forgot, get some lessons! Whatever you spend on tools, chucks, lathes, the lessons will be most valuable.

Get a copy of Bill Grumbine's video. It is excellant and will walk you through all phases of bowl turning. Go to the American Association of Woodturners site and look through the list of turning clubs. With clubs now in all fifty states you should be able to find one close to where you live. Many clubs have a mentoring program.

But the best advise, "Have fun." This is a hobby/business that offers nearly instant gratification. A little time at the lathe will make a lot of the day's problems disappear.

John Branam
09-15-2005, 10:20 AM
Is this a good starter lathe:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=45276

Mike Ramsey
09-15-2005, 10:37 AM
John, I don't think you will be happy with that lathe especially if you want to turn bowls. I have the 12x36 variable speed from HF with a 3/4HP motor that I started with and it is a decent lathe with some upgrades. I use mine as a spare since I upgraded to a better lathe. And you should get a good self centering 4 jaw chuck, slow speed grinder with the white wheels 80-100 or 120 grit to sharpen your tools and the wolverine sharpening system is hard to beat for pricing & ease of use.

Jim Becker
09-15-2005, 4:47 PM
Is this a good starter lathe:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=45276

If you want to do HFT, you will be better served by the 34706 12" lathe. It's a knock-off on the Jet 1236 and has "standard" interfaces and is heavier than the 45276 you ask about. I started out on the 34706 and although I outgrew it quickly, it was a decent machine for the (sale price) $149 I paid for it.