PDA

View Full Version : Minimax MM16 Generational Differences

Patrick Kane
03-18-2016, 1:06 PM
Looking at upgrading my band saw, and I have a few used mm16s within striking distance. Can someone explain the primary differences to look for in these saws over the years? My simple research shows there were about 3 generations of the saw. Looks like it started as a 3.6hp 16" throat saw with 12.5" resaw capacity. Roughly weighed 400-450lbs. Then, sometime around 2003-2005, they switched to 14" resaw capacity and maybe a 4.8hp motor, but this seems uncertain. It could have still been a 3.6hp saw with 14" resaw capacity. Finally, the latest edition is a 4.8hp motor with 16" resaw capacity, standard with carter guides, and weighs around 500lbs.

I guess I need help unraveling what it all really means. Did something major change over the last 10-15 years? gaining some weight, 4" of resaw capacity, and 1 more hp are nice ugrades, but did the design or structure/performance change at all? I ask because im looking at 3 machines, and one is the 3.6hp variety and half the asking price of the newer 4.8hp saws. If I am looking at minor improvements in resaw capacity/power then they certainly aren't worth the extra dough. 12-13" resaw is plenty for me. However, if the entire saw changed then it could be worth the extra money to get the best saw I can. Thoughts on 2003ish MM16 versus 2011-2016 MM16? Finally, is there a way to look up the exact age of the saw via a serial number? Thanks for your help

David Kumm
03-18-2016, 1:13 PM
Erik should be able to help. Also look at Charlie Plesums' site solowoodworker.com. Dave

Bill Maietta
03-18-2016, 1:29 PM
I have an MM116. Great machine. Pretty sure I bought it in 2011, maybe 2010. It has 4.8hp and 16" resaw, which it eats through with ease. While it's rare to need the whole 16", having it makes 12-13" cuts more smooth. No idea on the serial number question. My only regret is that I didn't listen to their sales rep. and get the 24", thinking I don't need that much. Seems projects tend to grow over time. Hmm...

Erik Loza
03-18-2016, 1:44 PM
SCM Group does record serial numbers of bandsaws sold to customers but it's not in a format I can access.

Patrick, you are correct on the various generations. Aside from the resaw capacity getting taller, the motors got bigger and then, around 2005, the switch from a cast table trunion system to the steel hinge-type tilting mechanism of today. Various guide systems have come and gone but the resaw capacity, motor size, and trunion design have been the only structural changes. Hope this helps,

Erik

Patrick Kane
03-18-2016, 2:00 PM
Hey Erik,

Thanks for the response! Honestly, 1hp and 3.5" of resaw doesn't sway me much--well, doesn't sway me $1200 I should say.

Can you expand upon the difference in trunion design? Is this a pivotal improvement in stability/tilting table?

Are you somewhat familiar with the early 2000s MM16? Still a good saw?

Erik Loza
03-18-2016, 2:28 PM
Well, I'll let the MM16's track record speak for itself. The new design table mount makes table tilting tool-less (you need a wrench if it has the trunions) and also spread out the mounting bolts a bit, for extra stability.

Erik

Robert LaPlaca
03-18-2016, 4:04 PM
I own a Gen I MM16 vintage 2002 or so.. It's a really nice bandsaw, if I had the chance to buy any generation mm16, I think I would error towards the greater resaw height saws. i have used every bit of the 12.5 resaw height more often than I have longed for more horse power, 3.6 hp has been more than plenty.

I can tell you the table tilt feature on the gen I Mm16 is a royal pain in the azz to use, I used it once and never again.

I kind of though the plate on the machine that contains the serial number, also has the build year, but maybe I am thinking of the MM jointer/planer machines..

Mike Heidrick
03-18-2016, 4:35 PM
I did not think they were Carter guides.

Steve Wilde
03-18-2016, 4:39 PM
I bought a MM16 last fall and I couldn't be happier. I used it today to resaw some 5/4X10" soft maple fro drawer stock. I'm using a 1" lennox blade and it cut through like butter, and came out almost perfect. I was a little nervous that I wouldn't be able to get two 1/2" pieces out of it but my lumber was pretty square and straight and the saw did an amazing job. I've got it all clamped ups for a few days hoping it won't cup too much, but so far so good. I'd buy it again in a heartbeat.

Erik Loza
03-18-2016, 4:40 PM
If it's an early machine, it would have been the Euro-style guides, the ones with the gold locking rings (there have been two variations of Euro guide; ones with the gold locking rings and ones without, which are a friction fit in the housing). The Carters were only used recently, for maybe 2 years.

Erik

David Zaret
03-18-2016, 7:07 PM
ironically, i have one of each generation in my shop. both are great. we keep the resaw blade on the 4.8HP one, and a curvy blade on the "smaller" machine. prior to that, the resaw blade was on the smaller one. doesn't matter. both great machines.

Bruce Page
03-18-2016, 7:08 PM
I have a MM16 bought new in 2004. It is all the band saw I'll ever need. I did upgrade the euro-style guides (with gold locking rings) to Carters a few years ago.

Erik Loza
03-18-2016, 7:15 PM
... I did upgrade the euro-style guides (with gold locking rings) to Carters a few years ago.

That is funny. You know, no matter what kind of guides Minimax ships with a saw, half the customers will love it and half will hate them. I've had customers switch from Carters to the Euro's and vice versa. Personally, I wish the machines could ship with a blank head, so guys could do what they want, but that's not realistic.

By the way, for folks wanting ceramic guides, you do not need to spend a fortune. These guys sell just the thrust bearing or the whole enchilada for a lot less than the bigger names...

http://spaceageceramics.com/

About $150 to outfit your whole MM16 with ceramic guides.

Erik

Chris Padilla
03-18-2016, 7:22 PM
I have the Euro guides on my MM20. They seem to work just fine and get the job done but then again, this in my first (and last?) bandsaw so I haven't worked with anything else.

Has the MM20 gone through similar changes, Erik? How can I figure out what gen my MM20 is?

Jim Andrew
03-18-2016, 7:25 PM
I bought my 04 model in 05 when they were on sale. I prefer the euro guides.

Erik Loza
03-18-2016, 7:26 PM
Chris, MM20 went through the same changes as the MM16. You'll be able to tell by the motor size (3.6hp vs. 4.8hp), the trunion design (black cast iron or powder-coated white steel assembly) and resaw height (16" vs. 20").

Erik

Chris Padilla
03-18-2016, 7:30 PM
I'm pretty sure I have 3.6 hp and 16" resaw but don't recall the trunion design as it's been a while since I last tuned the blade perpendicular to the table.

Bruce Page
03-18-2016, 7:58 PM
That is funny. You know, no matter what kind of guides Minimax ships with a saw, half the customers will love it and half will hate them. I've had customers switch from Carters to the Euro's and vice versa. Personally, I wish the machines could ship with a blank head, so guys could do what they want, but that's not realistic.
Erik

It's all in what you're used to. Every BS I have ever operated from Peerless to Marvels to DoAll's in my 30+ years as a machinist had roller bearing guides.

Matthew Hills
03-18-2016, 11:11 PM
By the way, for folks wanting ceramic guides, you do not need to spend a fortune. These guys sell just the thrust bearing or the whole enchilada for a lot less than the bigger names...

http://spaceageceramics.com/

Do you know which ceramic guides are used for the carters that were shipping with the s400 saws in recent years?

Matt

Jim Becker
03-19-2016, 10:09 AM
I have the earlier MM16 with the ~12" resaw capacity and 3.6hp motor (20 amp requirement) and it does everything I need it to do. They did evolve not long after I bought mine to the taller version with the heavier motor. (and 30 amp requirement) Every one of these machines, regardless of generation, are well-made and designed saws. Unless you really need the heavier and taller version, if you can take advantage of the cost benefit for the earlier saw, it's not going to be painful at all.

Erik Loza
03-19-2016, 11:56 AM
Do you know which ceramic guides are used for the carters that were shipping with the s400 saws in recent years?

Matt Let me look into that. I'm sure they can, just need to figure out the correct combination of parts.

Erik