PDA

View Full Version : Ipe hand work

David Ragan
03-18-2016, 11:25 AM
Anyone ever use hand tools to work Ipe?

Am trying to build a small box, but this stuff is so hard, that it is frustrating.

If I want to do total hand work, just keep my chisels sharp, get over a bench leg, get a mallet, and have at it?

Mahogany would certainly be easier....

Any thoughts?

As always, thanks

Mel Fulks
03-18-2016, 11:45 AM
Thoughts?...What you said is right on. And it usually has a surprising moisture content and shrinks a lot, so even a small project might show that. Workability of material has always been an important factor,so unless you can enjoy the challenge just move to some other wood.

Malcolm Schweizer
03-18-2016, 12:21 PM
I would actually prefer to work ipe to mahogany. Mahogany can be very tricky because the grain tends to be very inconsistent. It likes to split along the grain, and it loves to tear out. Ipe is hard, but it works well. Drill out any mortices first. Keep your plane well tuned.

Are you using a microbevel on your tools? The added angle gives some strength to the edge, but also it makes touching up the edge easier. You can keep a fine stone handy and just dress it on that stone periodically and keep working.

Barney Markunas
03-18-2016, 12:37 PM
You might quiz Derek about what he does with some of the tough timbers (e.g. gidgee) that comes from down under. I would think their working properties might me reminiscent of ipe. Sharpen early, sharpen often... good luck.

Brian Holcombe
03-18-2016, 1:03 PM
I have worked a small amount of Ipe by hand, it's not enjoyable (IMO), but it is able to be done.