PDA

View Full Version : Steve Voigt, being Schwarzt!

Kees Heiden
03-18-2016, 4:17 AM
I hope you are ready for this!

http://blog.lostartpress.com/2016/03/17/steve-voigt-on-cap-irons/

And a video from Popular Woodworking: http://www.popularwoodworking.com/woodworking-blogs/editors-blog/steve-voigt-on-using-wooden-planes

I really like the piece of maple you use on that woodworking show. It has a nice big knot in it! Not the type you would see usually in shows like that. Often they have just a piece of straight grained lumber, and a lot narrower than that too.

Nicholas Lawrence
03-18-2016, 7:00 AM
It looks great Steve. And I really liked the blog post. Where did you come across that old advertisement?

Mike Holbrook
03-18-2016, 7:39 AM
Congrats Steve, nice planes!

ken hatch
03-18-2016, 7:52 AM
I'm glad I got my order in early :-).

Looking forward to the second post on cap irons.

ken

Brian Holcombe
03-18-2016, 7:54 AM
Congrats Steve!

Chris Hachet
03-18-2016, 8:18 AM
Of all of the planes I test drove at the show, I liked Steve's the best honestly. Quite a compliment given the other tools that were there....Since I am not into building planes, methinks at some point next eyar I will give the try plane a try....

Steve Voigt
03-18-2016, 9:04 AM
I hope you are ready for this!

LOL, thanks Kees. I am very grateful to Chris and Megan for the publicity, but it is a bit much at the moment. I don't think it will be the overwhelming crush that people might imagine, but it is definitely be a nice boost.

I really like the piece of maple you use on that woodworking show. It has a nice big knot in it! Not the type you would see usually in shows like that. Often they have just a piece of straight grained lumber, and a lot narrower than that too.

Thanks, Dave and I were just talking about this…I tried to go for realistic samples that you'd actually use in a project.

Derek Cohen
03-18-2016, 9:09 AM
Couldn't happen to a better bloke.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Steve Voigt
03-18-2016, 9:10 AM
… I really liked the blog post.Where did you come across that old advertisement?

Nick, the Carruthers ad is mentioned in Charles Hummel's book With Hammer in Hand. It has been mentioned lots of places…I think I first saw it on the Old Street website. Warren has posted it as well. I tracked the hard copy down at an archive at Florida Atlantic University.

The other two passages, Salivet, and Nicholson, were also brought to my attention by Warren. For anyone who's been following the cap iron discussion on forums since it started (in spring 2012), none of this is new. I'm just trying to compile the highlights into a coherent narrative. Glad you liked it--thanks for reading!

Warren Mickley
03-18-2016, 9:55 AM
The Carruthers ad was also mentioned in Jay Gaynor's (1993) book on 18th century woodworking. Todd Hughes mentioned the ad in a double iron discussion on Woodcentral in 2006. I posted a picture of the ad on Woodcentral in 2011 in a discussion with David Weaver. Double iron discussions did not start in 2012.

Judson Green
03-18-2016, 10:18 AM
Alright alright alright... Way to go dude!

and having a booth in arms reach of a tapper, S-M-R-T!

Steve Voigt
03-18-2016, 10:29 AM
Double iron discussions did not start in 2012.

Yeah, that's true. But prior to 2012, the discussions that I saw consisted of you (and one or two others) saying "double irons work," and many, many more people saying "no they don't." It was basically "he said, she said," with virtually no information on how to make the double iron work.

What happened in 2012, spurred by the subtitled version of Kato/Kawai, was that people began to discuss the how. Prior to that, I know of exactly two people who managed to teach themselves, based on your hints, the use of the double iron (Dave Weaver and Bob Strawn). After 2012, I would guess that thousands have learned how. So I would say that the fruitful discussion of the double iron began in 2012. It's a pity that more detailed information wasn't forthcoming in earlier discussions. Many people, including me, might have learned the double iron much earlier.

Robert Hazelwood
03-18-2016, 10:54 AM
This is great, Steve. Congratulations.

I guess the chipbreaker wars happened just before I started really getting into woodworking, so I had the benefit of this knowledge from the outset. It seems crazy to me that this knowledge was lost, after seeing how it can transform the function of a tool.

Patrick Chase
03-18-2016, 1:18 PM
Wow Steve, congratulations and nicely done!

Schwartz has also moved himself up a notch or two in my estimation, by acknowledging the work of others this way.

Frederick Skelly
03-18-2016, 6:09 PM
Congraatulations Steve!

Steve Voigt
03-18-2016, 6:11 PM
Thanks for the huzzas, everyone. I appreciate it.

Graham Haydon
03-18-2016, 7:42 PM
Great stuff Steve, very cool to see some of the most effective woodworking tools getting an airing. On a side note, if I understand this correctly it was a LN tool event? If so it is excellent to see such a diverse range of tools and makers in attendance.