PDA

View Full Version : Hello all! New to wood working in IN....

Josh Ware
03-17-2016, 10:26 PM
First and foremost I wanted to introduce myself to all of the experienced members I've been secretly stalking for the last couple of weeks :)

I'm new to wood working, so far I've built some shelving and a work bench from 2x's in my garage (nothing I'd be proud enough to share here lol).

So I have a few basic power tools like a decent Dewalt circular saw, an old (older than me probably) B&D jigsaw, and Craftsman sander. As of now I'm looking to buy either a table or miter saw. I'm leaning toward the table saw as of now, a coworker is a fairly experienced wood worker and has suggested the table saw would be more versatile at the start. I've perused the local craigslist ads, eBay, even looked at a couple of pawn shops and just don't see anything that piques my interest. At the on set I was looking at Dewalt and Delta job site saws due to space limitations, but after some research I think I'm willing to cut my bench down to fit a contractor/hybrid saw in my garage. Right now I'm eye balling the Ridgid R4512, Craftsman 21833, and Delta 36-725. The Delta is top of my list right now, though admittedly it's the only one I've seen in person yet. I know that model is discontinued now for the 5000 series so I'm hoping to haggle Lowes down on their price since it's the floor model.

Moral of my long intro and blabbering story, what do you all suggest? I've read countless posts but none seem to be recent enough for the Delta to have any real opinions.

Keith Downing
03-17-2016, 10:44 PM
First and foremost I wanted to introduce myself to all of the experienced members I've been secretly stalking for the last couple of weeks :)

I'm new to wood working, so far I've built some shelving and a work bench from 2x's in my garage (nothing I'd be proud enough to share here lol).

So I have a few basic power tools like a decent Dewalt circular saw, an old (older than me probably) B&D jigsaw, and Craftsman sander. As of now I'm looking to buy either a table or miter saw. I'm leaning toward the table saw as of now, a coworker is a fairly experienced wood worker and has suggested the table saw would be more versatile at the start. I've perused the local craigslist ads, eBay, even looked at a couple of pawn shops and just don't see anything that peeks my interest. At the on set I was looking at Dewalt and Delta job site saws due to space limitations, but after some research I think I'm willing to cut my bench down to fit a contractor/hybrid saw in my garage. Right now I'm eye balling the Ridgid R4512, Craftsman 21833, and Delta 36-725. The Delta is top of my list right now, though admittedly it's the only one I've seen in person yet. I know that model is discontinued now for the 5000 series so I'm hoping to haggle Lowes down on their price since it's the floor model.

Moral of my long intro and blabbering story, what do you all suggest? I've read countless posts but none seem to be recent enough for the Delta to have any real opinions.

Welcome Josh! This site is the best thing to ever happen to newbies to woodworking and tools!

I'm not as experienced as others here, so you may get some different answers from them but for me:

My first "big" purchase was a dewalt miter saw. I love it and I've used it for more projects than all my other tools combined. You certainly won't regret buying one IMO.

The question really though, is what are you planning to build? What are your goals?

If you're going to build cabinets or large furniture for example, you probably can't (easily) do it without a table saw. Most of us simply can't make perfect cuts with a circular saw and you're going to run into issues duplicating pieces.

But on the flip side you can get a great miter saw for considerably less than similar quality table saw. And you can do a lot with it, especially if you'll mostly be doing little jobs like shelves, benches, etc.

If you really plan to be a serious hobbyist, you'll probably need both in the end. The only reason I would lean towards a miter saw first, is that you'll probably be happy with your purchase for awhile (and it's compact). If you buy a contractor style table saw or something with a small-ish motor, and you decide this is a passion for you, you may very well be replacing it in the near future.

Again, just my opinion. Everyone's needs and tastes are different.

Best of luck with your future work!

David Eisenhauer
03-17-2016, 11:37 PM
Welcome Josh to the forum and to woodworking. Lots of good stuff to learn here and lots of opinions on tools and techniques. As Keith said, your next tool purchase sort of depends on what you want to do as for projects in the future, but, it is entirely possible that you end up changing your direction after a while anyway. If you dive very deep at all into woodworking, both a table saw and a miter saw will be much used tools, so it is a tossup as to which one should come first. My advise is to buy quality tools that fit into your own particular budget. Buying what is considered a less than acceptable quality or performing tool just to get something "right now" usually does not work out in the long run. Only you have a handle on your budget for woodworking equipment, so that one is on you. My own opinion is that a table saw starts most of the ball rolling when it comes to actual "woodworking" (cabinetry, furniture, etc) projects, and I would save for a saw with solid, flat tables and decent motor power for that. If you have an amount of home remodeling or exterior building stuff in mind, the miter saw may be a better first choice. I would save money and read lots of reviews and forum discussions when other folks ask machine related questions before I bought anything (unless a jewel just falls into your lap). Good luck.

Keith Downing
03-18-2016, 12:13 AM
One other thing I suggest if you're truly strapped on the budget:

You can get a lot of invaluable experience taking some classes at a place like woodcraft or joining a tool cooperative or maker space in your area. Usually not too expensive and you'll get a much better idea of what the different tools can do and what you like doing.

Josh Ware
03-18-2016, 5:47 AM
One other thing I suggest if you're truly strapped on the budget:

You can get a lot of invaluable experience taking some classes at a place like woodcraft or joining a tool cooperative or maker space in your area. Usually not too expensive and you'll get a much better idea of what the different tools can do and what you like doing.

This is a really good idea, can't believe I never thought of this lol. I'll try and see what's in my area, if anything is available. I plan on making just about any and all furniture I can, i.e. Shelving, tv stands, maybe even a dresser or bed once I get enough experience but that's way down the road. I've always been quite handy, and I do have quite the number of upgrades to my home going and planned for the near future. I definitely don't plan on buying right now unless like you said it's a jewel or just a total steal on something that would suit my needs. I started with that Delta and moved on to include the Ridgid and Cman, also considered the lower end contractor/hybrid Grizzly's, but I'm just not sure I can justify spending that kinda cash on something (now or in the future). Thanks for the advice, definitely helped persuade my thoughts/decisions.

Matt Day
03-18-2016, 7:11 AM
Welcome!

If you think you'll be woodworking for a long time, do yourself a favor and skip the contractor/hybrid and track down a used cabinet saw. You will inevitably want one in the near future. I suggest cruising the tools section of Craigslist a few times a day for a used saw and/or going to auctions/estate sales. I got my cabinet saw for about $400 and have been using it for about 10 years now.

Good luck!

scott spencer
03-18-2016, 7:14 AM
Welcome Josh - I think you're smart to go with a TS over a miter saw....a miter saw is limited to crosscuts, and the TS can do all the a miter saw can do, and more. It's the heart and soul of most shops. You're also smart to skip to portable bench top type saws and go with a full size cast iron belt drive saw. The Delta 36-725 is the best of the $500-$600 entry level new saws IMO. It has a better fence and a better track record than the R4512 or 21833 (both of which had a history of alignment issues that effected many units, but not all...there have been claims that the issue is fixed, but it's still something I'd want to know about going in). The ABCs of Table Saws
(http://lumberjocks.com/knotscott/blog/32154)

Checking your local used market is always worth a look. It's a variable, but you never know what might be waiting for you. $500 can buy a really good used saw.

Regardless of which TS you end up with, the end performance of any them will be greatly dependent on how well you set it up, and the blade you choose.

Mike Heidrick
03-18-2016, 7:21 AM
Check you private messages.

Lee Schierer
03-18-2016, 8:17 AM
Welcome. I agree with the others that feel you should get a table saw as your next woodworking tool. I started with a jig saw and radial arm saw. I finally figured out that a table saw was a better choice and now my RAS gets little use. Get a saw with a good fence system or plan on upgrading to a good T-square type fence. We look forward to seeing some of your work and helping answer your questions.

Josh Ware
03-18-2016, 8:36 AM
Welcome!

If you think you'll be woodworking for a long time, do yourself a favor and skip the contractor/hybrid and track down a used cabinet saw. You will inevitably want one in the near future. I suggest cruising the tools section of Craigslist a few times a day for a used saw and/or going to auctions/estate sales. I got my cabinet saw for about $400 and have been using it for about 10 years now.

Good luck!

I hadn't thought about estate sales or auctions, I'll see if I can find some going on around my area. As it sits now I'll be in my current house for the next few years so I need something that I can run on 110 rather than 220. I'm also probably going to go try and talk to a Lowes manager about the Delta and see if I can't work them down on price, its a floor model and is discontinued from what I can find. I'd like to get roughly 20% knocked off of it which would put it at around $480, think that's a fair price?

My issue with going the used route is a matter of I have no idea what I'm looking at/for to make sure it's a good deal. I don't know enough yet to recognize a good saw from a crap saw on the used market.

Scott I actually found the ABC's of table saws via google search that landed me on this website. Ironically that's also how I found this site :) thanks for the link, it's the top bookmark right now lol. I'm not running out to purchase today or anything, but it's fore front on my mind so I'll keep looking and possibly report back here if I find something I think may be worth while.

Daniel O'Neill
03-18-2016, 9:58 AM
I hadn't thought about estate sales or auctions, I'll see if I can find some going on around my area. As it sits now I'll be in my current house for the next few years so I need something that I can run on 110 rather than 220. I'm also probably going to go try and talk to a Lowes manager about the Delta and see if I can't work them down on price, its a floor model and is discontinued from what I can find. I'd like to get roughly 20% knocked off of it which would put it at around $480, think that's a fair price?

My issue with going the used route is a matter of I have no idea what I'm looking at/for to make sure it's a good deal. I don't know enough yet to recognize a good saw from a crap saw on the used market.

Scott I actually found the ABC's of table saws via google search that landed me on this website. Ironically that's also how I found this site :) thanks for the link, it's the top bookmark right now lol. I'm not running out to purchase today or anything, but it's fore front on my mind so I'll keep looking and possibly report back here if I find something I think may be worth while.

I have a hybrid Jet. For what it's worth I like it a lot and if I hadn't gotten it from my Dad for free I'd be in the same boat as you. The cost is hard to swallow sometimes especially starting out. There is an estate sale website (estatesales.net) that could help you find some deals. New or old you'll likely still have to tune the saw a bit to make sure things are square. You mentioned that you're not in a hurry which will give you time to learn what to look for then you can get a lot more used saw for the purchase. TBH I don't think I've purchased a new tool yet and I pretty much have a full 120v shop now. Dust collection too. One trick I like is to make a search on Craigslist and just bookmark it. Then when you want to check for any new items just click your bookmark. Another one is to use the IFTTT app/webpage. It allows you to set recipes and will alert you to each new item meeting your search criteria. One thing is that when you find what seems like a good deal you can ask the guys here and you'll likely get a couple responses or things to think about that will help your purchase decisions. Also! Welcome :)

Mike Heidrick
03-18-2016, 10:39 AM
Huge power in web services and IFTTT!

Greg Hines, MD
03-18-2016, 10:48 AM
If a stationary tool is your goal, you cannot do better than a well tuned table saw. If not, I would recommend a router, preferably one of the package deals where you get a couple of bases, as it is an extremely versatile tool, and you can do a great many things with it.

Doc

Josh Ware
03-18-2016, 12:55 PM
I'll definitely keep my eye on that estate sale site, as well as CL for now. If the opportunity arises, is the Delta worth 500 or less? Or should I steer clear period? I'm keeping an eye on it since its a floor model and seems to be decent enough quality for me.

I do have one question though on saws in general, is there a way of zeroing out the bevel indicator? On that Delta model, when you put the blade perpendicular the bevel indicator is WAY past 0 degrees. Is that a problem that can't be fixed, or easilt fixable?

Matt Day
03-18-2016, 1:12 PM
All half decent saws are adjustable, some easier than others. Plan on having to tune any new or used saw you buy.

Regarding your power requirements, if you have a drier outlet close by you can use that to plug in your saw.

I understand about not being informed enough to buy a used saw, but do some homework on here and you might change your mind. There are a million threads on "what to look for when buying a used XXX".

Josh Ware
03-18-2016, 1:16 PM
All half decent saws are adjustable, some easier than others. Plan on having to tune any new or used saw you buy.

Regarding your power requirements, if you have a drier outlet close by you can use that to plug in your saw.

I understand about not being informed enough to buy a used saw, but do some homework on here and you might change your mind. There are a million threads on "what to look for when buying a used XXX".

Awesome, thanks. I'll search these threads a bit deeper. Unfortunately I don't have a drier line close enough to utilize :/

You all are great, especially for someone like me who is handy (aircraft mechanic) just knows squat about wood working.

Garth Almgren
03-18-2016, 2:21 PM
You all are great, especially for someone like me who is handy (aircraft mechanic) just knows squat about wood working.
One of the most important things to keep in mind, no matter what tool you're using, is where the blade is at all times.
Visualize any cut ahead of time, and think through where your hands are going to be. Use any combination of push sticks, push blocks, and/or featherboards to keep the stock under control and your hands away from the blade. If a cut feels like it is going to be awkward, there might be a better way to do it.

Also, resist the temptation to remove any guards that may be in place. If you get a newer saw with a riving knife and blade guard, it'll be much easier to keep the guards in place than an older saw with fewer to no safety features.

Saleem Hodge
03-18-2016, 6:36 PM
Hey welcome to the community, I'm new just like you so I'll be keeping an eye on your progress. I ended up hitting a Grizzly G0715P hybrid saw for my first saw but haven't used it yet, other than a few cuts to test it out. One thing to consider is your time in going to check out used equipment and hauling it back to your house. Used deals can be great but if your going a long way to get it, it may not be the best overall value.

David Helm
03-18-2016, 7:04 PM
Just want to second what Garth said. Think things through. There is nothing worse than having fingers meet spinning blades. I have been at this stuff for over forty years; first as a carpenter then as a woodworker. Since I still own all my fingers I will tell you my rules. One: always be aware of where you are and Two: NEVER turn on a power switch till after you turn on your brain. The best safety tool of all is the human brain. Use it.

Earl McLain
03-18-2016, 7:39 PM
Welcome to the Creek. I live up in the northwest corner of the state, and can say with 100% accuracy that the best deals on used cabinet saws post to the Indy Craigslist--the day after i come back from a weekend working at IMS!! Never fails--and it always seems to be when it'll be 2 or 3 weeks before i'm coming back down. Same is true for every other power tool as well for some reason!! :rolleyes:

I've had a Craftsman 21833 for 3+ years, and it's been a good saw, holds it settings well for me. For a hobbyist, it will pretty much fill my needs--but it doesn't cure the itch i have for an older 3 hp PM 66 or a left tilt Delta Unisaw. There is a newer model left tilt Unisaw in Warsaw right now (South Bend Craigslist)--1.75 hp 110v, a few freshly sharpened blades with it, listed at $850. I normally look at "bonus blades" in used saw sales as junk (which they normally are), but given that the 4 blades in the pic are newly sharpened, they are likely pretty decent--nobody wastes money sharpening throw-away blades. If the blades are worth $200 used ($100 each new), that saw might be worth a look.

earl

Josh Ware
03-18-2016, 8:41 PM
Welcome to the Creek. I live up in the northwest corner of the state, and can say with 100% accuracy that the best deals on used cabinet saws post to the Indy Craigslist--the day after i come back from a weekend working at IMS!! Never fails--and it always seems to be when it'll be 2 or 3 weeks before i'm coming back down. Same is true for every other power tool as well for some reason!! :rolleyes:

I've had a Craftsman 21833 for 3+ years, and it's been a good saw, holds it settings well for me. For a hobbyist, it will pretty much fill my needs--but it doesn't cure the itch i have for an older 3 hp PM 66 or a left tilt Delta Unisaw. There is a newer model left tilt Unisaw in Warsaw right now (South Bend Craigslist)--1.75 hp 110v, a few freshly sharpened blades with it, listed at $850. I normally look at "bonus blades" in used saw sales as junk (which they normally are), but given that the 4 blades in the pic are newly sharpened, they are likely pretty decent--nobody wastes money sharpening throw-away blades. If the blades are worth $200 used ($100 each new), that saw might be worth a look.

earl

Awesome a fellow Hoosier!! I wish I could look at that Delta, but unfortunately it's way over budget for me. This is strictly a hobby for me, making things for the home and the occasional relative (maybe). As of now I'm keeping my options open on a table saw, my biggest issue is room. After looking at the Delta, Ridgid, and Craftsman in more detail, I don't think I have the room for them in my current situation. Really I guess I had no idea they would be that long (wide) with the rails. The Delta is some 62" and the most I think I can make room for is 40, maybe 45. I kept seeing specs say 40" wide table, maybe I was just being naive about how wide they really are lol. I'm looking at possibly cutting my workbench down to fit, also thought about cutting the saws rails down a little but that makes me cringe on a $500+ brand new saw. I think I'm going to go the route another member suggested and try and catch a nice miter for now and continue using the straight edge I made for my circular saw. However if you ever see a good deal in Indy that you aren't jumping on (or if you upgrade and sell you Cman :)), I'm all ears!

Josh Ware
03-19-2016, 4:55 PM
Hey all, found a Delta 36-650 at a pawn shop in my area for 199. Worth it? Don't know condition yet, haven't been to check it out

Trevor Remster
03-19-2016, 10:49 PM
Hey all, found a Delta 36-650 at a pawn shop in my area for 199. Worth it? Don't know condition yet, haven't been to check it out

Yes Josh it is worth that. I own several of those saws plus a few of the older versions. We have cut hundreds of thousands(maybe millions) of feet on them over the last 25 years and they work well. In fact, I don't remember ever having a real problem with any of them. Just general maintenance and cleaning. I have several cabinet saws too and they are nice for sure, but this saw can serve you well for many many years. They are easy to tune up, and have just enough power to get the job done as long as you are not greedy. Like all table saws, keep the elevation and bevel gears clean and lubricated and it will work well. I'm not far from you and I can make myself available if you buy it and are having problems.

Cheers,
Trevor

Josh Ware
03-19-2016, 11:40 PM
Yes Josh it is worth that. I own several of those saws plus a few of the older versions. We have cut hundreds of thousands(maybe millions) of feet on them over the last 25 years and they work well. In fact, I don't remember ever having a real problem with any of them. Just general maintenance and cleaning. I have several cabinet saws too and they are nice for sure, but this saw can serve you well for many many years. They are easy to tune up, and have just enough power to get the job done as long as you are not greedy. Like all table saws, keep the elevation and bevel gears clean and lubricated and it will work well. I'm not far from you and I can make myself available if you buy it and are having problems.

Cheers,
Trevor

Man you are close! I'm in Plainfield all the time, I'd rather go there than Greenwood for shopping any day. I'm going to go look at it probably Monday since they are closed tomorrow. My concern with it is the motor hanging out the back, how much deeper does it make the footprint? Main reason I was looking at the Delta 725 and Cman and Ridgid is the depth from front to back was just about perfect for my tiny garage. Does the motor hanging off the back add considerable depth?

Rod Mortensen
03-20-2016, 9:22 AM
welcome to site,

I would have to agree make sure your table saw is a cabinet saw you will thank me later. I went though three different table saws before I landed on something I was happy with. I spent 700 on mine and I am glad I did I love it.

Robert Engel
03-20-2016, 9:38 AM
While I do believe a TS is a necessity, my advice is don't get carried away with power tools.

Invest (key word: INVEST) in the best quality hand tools you can, because this is where (I believe) you're best ww'ing will be born out of.
I've seen so many guys fiddle and fiddle around to make a cut on a power machine fit right off the saw, and while you can do that, you're always better off using hand tools to fine tune. You will see what I'm talking about when you make your first mortise and tenon joint.

I think a minimal starter set would be chisels, a marking knife, marking gauge, combo square, bench plane, and mallet.

Its a wide, wide world out there when it comes to tools and we all have to figure it out individually.
You will find lots and lots of opinions and disagreements as a result.

My basic advice is, whatever ww'ing you do, whenever you can, always buy the best quality tools and machines that you can.
As far as TS's you --IMHO--you will not find them at Home Depot, Lowes, or Sears or Harbor Freight.
With this in mind, I would get a cabinet saw. If $2500 is not in the budget, then try to find a old Unisaw, PM or Jet on CL.
Just stay away from the consumer lines of saws.

Trevor Remster
03-20-2016, 10:47 PM
Yes the motor hanging off the back will add some depth when in use. Without measuring, I would guess slightly less than a foot. The nice thing is that the motors are designed to be removed and reinstalled in just about half a minute. You can do it by your self. So when you have to store the saw against a wall, the motor can be off and out of the way. Good luck!

Andrew Pitonyak
03-21-2016, 11:02 AM
I own a SawStop. I LOVE my SawStop. I expect that any decently tuned Table Saw will suffice. I insist on a few specific safety features (like a riven knife). Some people dump their TS and go for a rack saw, but some cuts are difficult without a system (on a track saw) like cutting multiple parts to exactly length. Wait, did you say that you work metal. "exact length" means something different to a wood worker than a metal worker from a tolerances perspective.

It is more work, takes more time and skill, but you can accomplish the same thing using hand saws (as in no electricity).

I purchased a miter saw when I replaced the trim around my garage door. It needed to be done and it was cheaper for me to purchase a miter saw and do the work myself than to pay someone else to do it.

I have often heard it said that you should purchase the tool that you need for your next project... :-)

Josh Ware
03-22-2016, 8:23 AM

Cheers,
Trevor

Never made it to look at the Delta at the pawn shop, but this one is right down the road from me. I'm going to message him to find out the depth with the motor mounted as I'm still worried it's too deep for the limited space I have, but do you think it's worth it? Or should I haggle down or skip it? Seems kinda high for an older saw with and older tube style fence rail

https://indianapolis.craigslist.org/tls/5502252522.html

Trevor Remster
03-22-2016, 11:09 PM
Never liked that fence Josh. Otherwise the saw looks good. All things considered, too much money and I would pass.

All the contractor saws have their motors hanging out the back. The only saws made that I'm aware of that don't have the motor hanging out the back & have an induction motor that runs on 120v are the hybrid saws. Never used one, so I have no specific opinions on them. Can't imagine why a hybrid wouldn't suit you though. They don't come up for sale on the used market as often that I have seen.

Josh Ware
03-23-2016, 5:33 AM
Never liked that fence Josh. Otherwise the saw looks good. All things considered, too much money and I would pass.

All the contractor saws have their motors hanging out the back. The only saws made that I'm aware of that don't have the motor hanging out the back & have an induction motor that runs on 120v are the hybrid saws. Never used one, so I have no specific opinions on them. Can't imagine why a hybrid wouldn't suit you though. They don't come up for sale on the used market as often that I have seen.

Great thanks! Good thing is even though I'd like to pick one up soon, I am pretty patient. I like to buy my last tool first rather than buying and rebuying when I realize it's not enough. I'll keep my eyes on CL, but in the meantime the Delta 36-725 is still just sitting at Lowes waiting on someone to haggle the price down lol. And if that doesn't work I like the lower end Grizzly's. Whenever I do decide and buy one, I'll post it back here. Thanks again everyone for the warm welcome wishes and all the great advice!

Robert Engel
03-23-2016, 7:34 AM
I like to buy my last tool first rather than buying and rebuying when I realize it's not enough. I'll keep my eyes on CL, but in the meantime the Delta 36-725 is still just sitting at Lowes waiting on someone to haggle the price down lol. And if that doesn't work I like the lower end Grizzly's. Whenever I do decide and buy one, I'll post it back here. Thanks again everyone for the warm welcome wishes and all the great advice!All kinds of advice, but you'll do what you think is best. I'll reiterate my previous post: stay away from the consumer saws you see at the box stores and Sears.

If the first part of your statement is really true, then forget about the saws at Lowe's or HD. You should be looking at a cabinet saw or minimum a hybrid saw. If you really mean it and want the buy the last tool first, then go straight to a 3HP cabinet saw.

If money is a problem, you will do well with the 2HP Grizzly hybrid. They are in the $800 range, I believe.

Putting in a 240 outlet should not be a reason not to buy a saw. It is a simple thing to do.

Josh Ware
03-23-2016, 8:50 AM
All kinds of advice, but you'll do what you think is best. I'll reiterate my previous post: stay away from the consumer saws you see at the box stores and Sears.

If the first part of your statement is really true, then forget about the saws at Lowe's or HD. You should be looking at a cabinet saw or minimum a hybrid saw. If you really mean it and want the buy the last tool first, then go straight to a 3HP cabinet saw.

If money is a problem, you will do well with the 2HP Grizzly hybrid. They are in the $800 range, I believe.

Putting in a 240 outlet should not be a reason not to buy a saw. It is a simple thing to do.

Good point on the 240 outlet, I just didn't want to put the effort into it in my current house. We plan on moving in the next couple of years as we're currently in the planning stages of having a custom home built. What's the reasoning on staying away from those brands? Is it purely because they are consumer brands? I do like the Grizzly hybrids, and the 2HP version you mentioned. I've looked at the other brands (Shop Fox, Jet, Powermatic, etc) but they seem to be over what I could rightfully justify as a hobbyist.

Tim Cooper Louisiana
03-23-2016, 10:07 AM
Good point on the 240 outlet, I just didn't want to put the effort into it in my current house. We plan on moving in the next couple of years as we're currently in the planning stages of having a custom home built. What's the reasoning on staying away from those brands? Is it purely because they are consumer brands? I do like the Grizzly hybrids, and the 2HP version you mentioned. I've looked at the other brands (Shop Fox, Jet, Powermatic, etc) but they seem to be over what I could rightfully justify as a hobbyist.

The reason to avoid the box stores is that they don't sell saws that are likely to be your last. I'm a newb myself, but from my unscientific research - most serious woodworkers end up with a cabinet table saw or no table saw at all.

Garth Almgren
03-23-2016, 10:57 AM
Yeah, I have the Rockwell version of the same saw and it is a solid performer, but it would need to have a really nice fence or a couple Forrest WWII blades to make it worth $400. Around here that saw would be going for $250 max, and probably closer to $200.

Earl McLain
03-23-2016, 1:23 PM
The reason to avoid the box stores is that they don't sell saws that are likely to be your last. I'm a newb myself, but from my unscientific research - most serious woodworkers end up with a cabinet table saw or no table saw at all.

I see 3 paths to take in buying a table saw on a price point budget (like mine)...
1. Good quality used cabinet saw (PM 66/2000, Unisaw, older General, Grizz 690/1023 and up, higher end, etc) from the beginning.
2. Lesser saw in the beginning, then trading up.
3. #1 or #2, then quitting the hobby or deciding to work with no TS.

# 2 is more expensive than #1--at least it will be for me, and i'll still have to sell #2 somehow.
If #3 happens, #1 will most likely give a higher percentage return of your money than #2 (kind of like buying a new car).

I should have done #1, didn't because of the fear that i wouldn't know enough to make a wise choice/good decision. Did #2, so ultimately i'll pay a little extra to do #1, but i've had good results from #2, so i'm not whining--just sharing my view.

As for the the 240 volt--if you got the openings in your box and can run wire without tearing out the walls (mine are stud, if they hadn't been i could have used conduit) it's not too bad. I think i was under $80 total to do mine, with 2 drops. Well worth it even for only a few years. Plus--the prospective buyer may find that appealing.

Good Luck!!
earl

Josh Ware
03-23-2016, 2:34 PM
I see 3 paths to take in buying a table saw on a price point budget (like mine)...
1. Good quality used cabinet saw (PM 66/2000, Unisaw, older General, Grizz 690/1023 and up, higher end, etc) from the beginning.
2. Lesser saw in the beginning, then trading up.
3. #1 or #2, then quitting the hobby or deciding to work with no TS.

# 2 is more expensive than #1--at least it will be for me, and i'll still have to sell #2 somehow.
If #3 happens, #1 will most likely give a higher percentage return of your money than #2 (kind of like buying a new car).

I should have done #1, didn't because of the fear that i wouldn't know enough to make a wise choice/good decision. Did #2, so ultimately i'll pay a little extra to do #1, but i've had good results from #2, so i'm not whining--just sharing my view.

As for the the 240 volt--if you got the openings in your box and can run wire without tearing out the walls (mine are stud, if they hadn't been i could have used conduit) it's not too bad. I think i was under $80 total to do mine, with 2 drops. Well worth it even for only a few years. Plus--the prospective buyer may find that appealing.

Good Luck!!
earl

You make a very valid point concerning prospective buyers. I hadn't thought about it that way. Problem is the location of my garage doesn't permit any access to the ceiling, there's a room directly above, and the walls are dry walled already. Though I may look into it and see if I can make it work, even if I have to unplug the saw and roll it to its storage spot (though in all honesty that would most likely be the case anyway). Thankfully my neighbor is a journeyman electrician for Ermco, maybe I can enlist him for help. Seems overwhelmingly towards buying a used cabinet saw, so here's my next question. Is a hybrid enough of a step down that I would regret that?