PDA

View Full Version : Under Mount Drawer Slides

Scott Welty
03-17-2016, 3:13 PM
I'm planning on building a stack of 3or 4 drawers for a office counter/cabinets. All cherry face frame and cherry frame and panel doors. I'm thinking of making nice cherry boxes for the drawers with finger joint corners. I don't want the slides to show so looking at under mount slides. I've put in many side mount slides but never under mount and, as usual, the array of choices is all over the place. These will be like office drawers and not holding heavy things. Probably 22 in deep and 16-18 wide. Each drawer around 6-8 inches deep. So help on slides and ok to build with 1/2 inch cherry for the boxes with 3/4 false front?

Scott

Malcolm McLeod
03-17-2016, 3:20 PM
Look at Hettich 'Quadro' under-mount, full extension, soft-/self-close. They are half the cost of the big names and work well. I did my entire kitchen with them.

As for cherry boxes, it would be expensive, but mechanically I can't think of any reason they would not work as well as any other hardwood drawer materials.

Scott Welty
03-17-2016, 5:05 PM
Yes to the cherry being $$$ but wanted to look nice when open drawer and with the finger joints. I usually make drawer boxes out of baltic birch ply but looking to upgrade.
scott

Jamie Buxton
03-17-2016, 7:08 PM
Yup, undermount slides work. What's your question?

JAMES LYBARGER
03-17-2016, 7:22 PM
Blum soft close are the best and very easy to install.

Robert Chapman
03-17-2016, 7:53 PM
Can't beat Blum IMO

Michael Weber
03-17-2016, 8:02 PM
Yes to the cherry being $$$ but wanted to look nice when open drawer and with the finger joints. I usually make drawer boxes out of baltic birch ply but looking to upgrade.
scott
I'm building my kitchen drawers from hard maple except for the sub front where I'm using walnut I have. Just to highlight the finger joints. Of course no one but me will ever notice:(

Ellen Benkin
03-18-2016, 1:58 AM
check out the latest edition of Wood magazine. It has an article on drawer slides.

Scott Welty
03-19-2016, 6:47 AM
Thanks all. When I look under mount slides at Cabinet Hardware (http://www.cabinetparts.com/c/drawer-slides?gclid=CjwKEAjw8bO3BRDp0bP_vL-7_lASJACL_d6wsJpo3WzLOSkUApgFJKWOc75N6u9UaWcn9bBeR i6mFRoCa2fw_wcB)it gives two choices for box material thickness: 3/4 and 5/8. Can I not use 1/2" stock?

George Bokros
03-19-2016, 8:30 AM
Can I not use 1/2" stock?

Yes you can. I do it all the time. If you use 1/2" material I would use the ones that say max 5/8". The thickness given is the max thickness you can use.