PDA

View Full Version : I need to go to a meeting or something, as I'm in the grip of saw addiction

Gene Davis
03-17-2016, 11:26 AM
I've no real hand tools to speak of. My few saws are garbage. The dovetails I have cut were done with a $10 Sharksaw and Sears chisels, plus a cheap coping saw.

With some more drawers to make, I have been wasting time on YouTube watching skilled guys cut tails and pins, always using bright and shiny things from Lie Nielsen and the like.

So I ordered a Gyokusho (I think that is what it is) #372 and it will arrive tomorrow, but even now, before getting it, am onto a slightly used LN 15 TPI rip dovetail saw, asking price (CL) $100.

Stop me! Help!

Next thing, I'll talk myself into one of those spacey looking coping saws, you know what I mean, $100 or more. Then some serious chisels.

Nick Stokes
03-17-2016, 11:46 AM
before you miss out on the LN, buy it. The resale pricing on those is fantastic. So you could try both saws, if you didn't like the LN you could sell it to someone else...

However, I use this same methodology, and I can never bring myself to sell the LN version.....

Brian Holcombe
03-17-2016, 12:14 PM
I'm due to attend the same meeting, having bought 5 saws this month.

It's hard to have too many options when it comes to saws when you do everything from breaking down stock to cutting fine and small joinery.

You're pretty close on the spelling it is Gyokucho.

Jim Koepke
03-17-2016, 1:12 PM
I'm due to attend the same meeting, having bought 5 saws this month.

Do they have a chisel an plane chapter?

jtk

David Bassett
03-17-2016, 1:47 PM
Are these the meetings (http://mwtca.org/tool-meets.html) to which you refer? :-)

They don't seem to come this far west, but they're widely reported to be the perfect venue to foster a tool addiction!

Chris Hachet
03-17-2016, 2:06 PM
I've no real hand tools to speak of. My few saws are garbage. The dovetails I have cut were done with a $10 Sharksaw and Sears chisels, plus a cheap coping saw.

With some more drawers to make, I have been wasting time on YouTube watching skilled guys cut tails and pins, always using bright and shiny things from Lie Nielsen and the like.

So I ordered a Gyokusho (I think that is what it is) #372 and it will arrive tomorrow, but even now, before getting it, am onto a slightly used LN 15 TPI rip dovetail saw, asking price (CL) $100.

Stop me! Help!

Next thing, I'll talk myself into one of those spacey looking coping saws, you know what I mean, $100 or more. Then some serious chisels.

I just dropped $ 215 on the Knew concepts titanium 5 inch fret saw. It is wonderful.

Mike Allen1010
03-17-2016, 2:54 PM
[QUOTE=Brian Holcombe;2543140]I'm due to attend the same meeting, having bought 5 saws this month. It's hard to have too many options when it comes to saws when you do everything from breaking down stock to cutting fine and small joinery.

+1 To Brian's comments. My name is Mike and I am a handsaw addict. This is where there should be some sort of disclaimer "hand saw addiction is indeed a slippery slope":). I've been at the bottom of the slope or some time with no table saw, but lots of handsaw's. Honestly I've never regretted getting rid of the TS. FWIW, just like you may find that having a number of different planes set up for specific tasks can make woodworking faster and more enjoyable, IMHO the same is true of having several handsaw's that are optimized for specific sawing tasks. Do you need more than 3 full sized saws and a couple back saws -no, but is it more fun? I think absolutely! -then again, I have a bad hand saw problem.

All the best, Mike

Javed Akhtar
03-17-2016, 3:29 PM
I just dropped $ 215 on the Knew concepts titanium 5 inch fret saw. It is wonderful.

I'm with you on this - for a long time I used a coping saw from Home Depot. I recently picked up a Knew Concepts from the local LV. I didn't get the fancy titanium fret saw, but I did get the aluminum one (the red one, for $120-ish). Wonderful indeed.

Tom M King
03-17-2016, 3:38 PM
Rehab is for quitters.........that is, unless you are into rehabbing old saws.

Patrick Chase
03-17-2016, 4:08 PM

Stop me! Help!

The spacey looking coping saw actually adds some value (though you might want to consider his fretsaw instead. I have both and mostly use the latter). More so than serious chisels IMO.

EDIT: I have the aluminum spacey looking coping saw and fret saw. While it would be cool to say I have a titanium coping saw I don't think it makes much technical sense. The aluminum ones are already rigid enough that other factors become more limiting than frame stiffness, particularly for the fretsaw.

Patrick Chase
03-17-2016, 4:09 PM
Are these the meetings (http://mwtca.org/tool-meets.html) to which you refer? :-)

They don't seem to come this far west, but they're widely reported to be the perfect venue to foster a tool addiction!

Err, that's more like when your dealer comes to you right after you get out of rehab. Different sort of meeting.

Mike Allen1010
03-17-2016, 9:28 PM
Err, that's more like when your dealer comes to you right after you get out of rehab. Different sort of meeting.

Patrick, absolutely hysterical!

Okay, I probably need to develop some broader interest in my life – that said, the Cave by the Creek here is one of my favorite places!

No need to be bashful boys, please keep it coming. Poor desperate souls like me count on this forum to provide some sense of perspective in our lives.

Cheers, Mike

Stew Denton
03-17-2016, 11:43 PM
Hi All,

I'm with Jim...a plane and chisel chapter is needed.

Following Mike's example: Hi, my name is Stew, and I am a metal bench plane addict. I'm doing better though....I'm down to just looking for parts for ones I already have, and...ah.... well....one more jointer plane.

Stew

Gene Davis
03-17-2016, 11:50 PM
Gonna see it in the morning. If OK, I'll buy.

These don't lose value, right?

Patrick Chase
03-18-2016, 1:28 AM
Gonna see it in the morning. If OK, I'll buy.

These don't lose value, right?

Nah, they're just like home prices: Up and to the right, can't possibly go down...

May I offer you a no-down-payment, negative-amortization, stated-income/stated-assets loan with which to buy that plane?

Brent Cutshall
03-18-2016, 7:08 AM
I knew what Gene was talking about right when I saw this thread. I'm proud to saw, I mean say I'm a saw addict, but I can't buy 'em up like y'all. No allowance and I only get money when I saw, I mean sell vegetables in the summer and when I sell my works,so I'm in the position of tribulation. So that Knew Concepts coping saw's that good? This thread ain't helping none. Hmm, coping saw, let me go check the funds, DERN IT!

Patrick Chase
03-18-2016, 12:42 PM
I knew what Gene was talking about right when I saw this thread. I'm proud to saw, I mean say I'm a saw addict, but I can't buy 'em up like y'all. No allowance and I only get money when I saw, I mean sell vegetables in the summer and when I sell my works,so I'm in the position of tribulation. So that Knew Concepts coping saw's that good? This thread ain't helping none. Hmm, coping saw, let me go check the funds, DERN IT!

The Knew concepts saw isn't necessary by any stretch. You can set a $15 Olson up well enough to do top-notch work, and plenty of people have done so. What I meant when I said that it delivers more tangible benefit than a premium chisel is that there's more immediately perceptible difference. It's easy to set up, it's easy to tension to the point where it works well on the push stroke (that's how mine is set up), the 45 deg detents are handy, etc. It's just way more pleasant to use IMO.

EDIT: IMO the real star of the Knew Concepts show is the fretsaw. which is perfect for cleaning dovetails etc. You can't tension it as much as the coping saw because of fundamental limitations in how fretsaw blades attach (they're held by friction rather than pins in holes), but it's still way better than conventional fretsaws and maneuverable enough to get into dovetail corners etc.

Brian Holcombe
03-18-2016, 1:01 PM
The knew concepts saw is pretty good, I like the fact that it has detents and also that you can change out the blades so quickly. A little bow-saw would be a bit sexier, but we can't have it all, now can we?

Patrick Chase
03-18-2016, 1:08 PM
The knew concepts saw is pretty good, I like the fact that it has detents and also that you can change out the blades so quickly. A little bow-saw would be a bit sexier, but we can't have it all, now can we?

I thought long and hard about that 12" TFWW bow saw back when I got the Knew Concepts coping saw. If I'd known I would end up using a fretsaw for most dovetail work anyway I probably would have gone with the bow saw instead of the coping saw.

Brian Holcombe
03-18-2016, 1:45 PM
Agreed, I feel I should have gotten the fret saw and the bow saw...one more saw than necessary won't kill me though, hehe.

steven c newman
03-18-2016, 1:55 PM
When you have so many saws that they are hanging from the ceiling joists..
And have more in the tool chests....THEN you have a problem. Oh, BTW, I've had to add a few more hooks to hang even more up on....

Brent Cutshall
03-18-2016, 6:10 PM
Steven! You've got to stop showing pictures of your saws. I'm breaking into a sweat looking at 'em here.:D

steven c newman
03-20-2016, 10:40 AM
Don't need no fancy saw for dovetails...
This MIGHT be a Disston No.4.......
seemed to do a decent job
That a chisel could clean things up.
Saw is about 14" long, 9ppi, filed rip. That board is Pine.

Chris Hachet
03-21-2016, 7:24 AM
I thought long and hard about that 12" TFWW bow saw back when I got the Knew Concepts coping saw. If I'd known I would end up using a fretsaw for most dovetail work anyway I probably would have gone with the bow saw instead of the coping saw.

The TFWW bow saw is on my short list also....

Chris Hachet
03-21-2016, 7:24 AM
Steven! You've got to stop showing pictures of your saws. I'm breaking into a sweat looking at 'em here.:D

He surely works into a sweat using them....

Niels Cosman
03-21-2016, 3:08 PM
Rehab is for quitters.........that is, unless you are into rehabbing old saws.

^^^^^^^ What he said.

It's not saw a true saw addiction until the number of saws you have squirreled away at least doubles the number you can actually use.
Get the LN, it's a good saw to start you down the rabbit hole.

Niels Cosman
03-21-2016, 5:46 PM
^^^^^^^ What he said.

It's not saw a true saw addiction until the number of saws you have squirreled away at least doubles the number you can actually use.

....Or your living room looks like this :D:D:D