PDA

View Full Version : I am a lucky boy

Dave Beauchesne
03-16-2016, 10:35 PM
Am fortunate enough to be attending six weeks at a WW school here in BC, Canada.

It is based on the teachings of James Krenov. We have made three ' Krenov ' style planes: a Jointer, Smoother and a round bottom plane, all with Hock irons.

When tuned up, they sure give sweet, wispy thin shavings. The shaving shown is only poplar, but they perform very well overall.

Frederick Skelly
03-17-2016, 6:17 AM
Man, I am green with envy. I looked hard at attending their 6 wk course and just couldn't make it work right now. Looked like a great place. How about posting a review or a summary when you finish up?

(Oh. And nice plane, too.)

Fred

Tony Zaffuto
03-17-2016, 7:16 AM
Man, I am green with envy. I looked hard at attending their 6 wk course and just couldn't make it work right now. Looked like a great place. How about posting a review or a summary when you finish up?

(Oh. And nice plane, too.)

Fred

Six weeks! I'd be lucky to do six weeks over six years!

Jim Koepke
03-17-2016, 9:59 AM

My wife might be overjoyed at the idea of packing me up and sending me away for six weeks. :eek:

jtk

Joe A Faulkner
03-17-2016, 10:16 AM

Tony, for $55 you can buy David Fink's book and video. No where near as much fun as six weeks in wood working school, but doable. Fink studied under Krenov.
http://www.davidfinck.com/book.htm

Dave Beauchesne
03-17-2016, 11:25 AM
I have to say, Finck's book is really well done, but it is fun being in a school setting.
Our instructors are superb, and troubleshooting on errant plane performance are done on the spot.
The three we made so far are in Acacia: pretty nice wood to work. I am doing a 1-1/4 inch jointer on Cocobolo/ Ebony, as well as a 6-1/2" utility plane ( 1" ) in Cocobolo as well.

Tony Zaffuto
03-17-2016, 11:32 AM
I'll have to look at the book & DVD.

Jim-it ain't my wife that wouldn't get rid of me, more my work requirements!