PDA

View Full Version : Attended a Lie Nielsen Event in a Tavern

Rich Riddle
03-16-2016, 6:15 PM
Lie Nielsen hosted an event in Covington in a local tavern. It went about as great as it sounds. After you made it through the door and around ten large-breed dogs, you got to look at planes amongst the local non-woodworkers who were sloshing beer all over you and the tools. One man dropped two of their planes. At least they didn't break.

Jeffrey Martel
03-16-2016, 6:17 PM
I was expecting some drunk bar patron putting a chisel through their hand.

Jim Koepke
03-16-2016, 6:23 PM
Sounds like the start of a joke.

A plane, a chisel and a spokeshave go into a tavern...

jtk

Rich Riddle
03-16-2016, 6:26 PM
I was expecting some drunk bar patron putting a chisel through their hand.I forgot, one brilliant fellow decided to check for the sharpness of a plane but running his fingertip over the edge. He seemed shocked how sharp the plane was. I am not certain who the brilliant thinker was on this location.

Malcolm Schweizer
03-16-2016, 7:05 PM
Too much awesome in this thread. How does one guy drop two planes? Wait- do I want to know?

Frederick Skelly
03-16-2016, 7:09 PM
This is a joke, right Rich? LN has way more class than to do this in a tavern. (Don't they?)

lawrence munninghoff
03-16-2016, 7:54 PM
No joke. Was not the best LN event i have been to by any means. The LN people were condensed in a small area with other plane makers. Had a hard time even trying out the hand planes. I think they had it at braxton brewery because it was close to Lost Art Press's new shop.

Chris Fournier
03-16-2016, 10:29 PM
That sounds like heaven.

Michael Peet
03-16-2016, 10:39 PM
That sounds like heaven.

Have to agree. I'd put on a buzz and look with my eyes, not with my hands.

Glen Canaday
03-16-2016, 10:43 PM
I read about this as a future event on the lap blog. Didn't this correspond to their open house?

Chris Fournier
03-16-2016, 10:46 PM
Have to agree. I'd put on a buzz and look with my eyes, not with my hands.

With large breed dogs all around you! Come on, it doesn't get better! I will buy you a pint at the next event Michael. The crotch sniffing will be courtesy of the large breed dogs, I'm a shy guy.

Chris Hachet
03-17-2016, 7:25 AM
I went, it was a pretty decent event. Picked up a copy of the anarchsits design book.

Steve Voigt
03-17-2016, 1:47 PM
Funny, I thought the event went very well. It was stressful for everyone involved in it, just because it was such a big show, but for spectators I thought it was a great event. An enormous number of tools to try and look at.

The only dicey moment for me was when three drunken frat bros staggered up to my bench. They were obviously there for the basketball game and the brews, not hand tools. It went something like this:

Moron #1: HEY, HOW DO I CARVE SOMETHING?

Me: I'm a planemaker, I can't really help you with carving.

Moron #2: PLANES, LIKE FLYING? [picks up $400 plane and places it in various inappropriate positions on the bench--upside down, toe first, sideways, etc.]

Me: Umm, I think you should put that plane down.

Moron #3: TEACH US TO PLANE SOMETHING! [sloshes beer onto my bench and sample boards]

Me: Fellas, you're spilling beer on some expensive gear. Everyone please step away from the bench.

Fortunately, that was the end of it; they didn't get belligerent (thank goodness). And the rest of the event went very smoothly. Thanks to everyone who stopped by and gave the planes a try!

Adam Cruea
03-17-2016, 1:58 PM
Sounds like the start of a joke.

A plane, a chisel and a spokeshave go into a tavern...

jtk

I find alcohol and razor sharp objects always go well together. Coupled with a Costco sized box of bandages, it's endless fun. :D

Daniel Rode
03-17-2016, 2:10 PM
I saw a video of that event featuring Steve Voigt discussing wooden planes.

I had just posted a response about how I prefer lighter metal planes and mentioned that I'm afraid I'd be hooked if I ever tried a good wooden plane. Steve's first answer to Why wooden planes? "They're so much lighter" :)

The universe is conspiring against me...

BTW - Steve, that was a great demonstration of how simple wooden planes are to use and adjust.

Mike Brady
03-17-2016, 2:25 PM
Cincy area may not have any other suitable venue for such an event, ie. a woodworking-related business or school. In Chicago, Lie-Nielsen for years has used the studio of Jeff Miller, but this year chose the Chicago School of Woodworking to host it's hand tool event. In a city of eight million people, I can't think of another place to stage it that would be accessible / affordable. Bars, we have; if that is the future. Maybe the bar venues will feature the bronze version of L-N tools. They don't rust.:rolleyes:

Steve Voigt
03-17-2016, 3:33 PM
I saw a video of that event…

Dan, thanks for the compliment. Where can I find the link to that video? I'm sure I will cringe in agony, but I should probably check it out…

Daniel Rode
03-17-2016, 4:51 PM
Here it is. Popular Woodworking posted it to their channel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvA008CFt1E

Nicholas Lawrence
03-17-2016, 5:53 PM
Funny, I thought the event went very well. It was stressful for everyone involved in it, just because it was such a big show, but for spectators I thought it was a great event. An enormous number of tools to try and look at.

The only dicey moment for me was when three drunken frat bros staggered up to my bench. They were obviously there for the basketball game and the brews, not hand tools. It went something like this:

Moron #1: HEY, HOW DO I CARVE SOMETHING?

Me: I'm a planemaker, I can't really help you with carving.

Moron #2: PLANES, LIKE FLYING? [picks up $400 plane and places it in various inappropriate positions on the bench--upside down, toe first, sideways, etc.]

Me: Umm, I think you should put that plane down.

Moron #3: TEACH US TO PLANE SOMETHING! [sloshes beer onto my bench and sample boards]

Me: Fellas, you're spilling beer on some expensive gear. Everyone please step away from the bench.

Fortunately, that was the end of it; they didn't get belligerent (thank goodness). And the rest of the event went very smoothly. Thanks to everyone who stopped by and gave the planes a try!

So you're telling me you have a "scratch and dent" plane that smells like beer that you need to get rid of at a healthy discount?

Stanley Covington
03-17-2016, 7:22 PM
I attended a Lie-Nielson show held in Southern California winery some years back with craftsmen selling stuff and doing demonstrations. Lord Thomas hisself hisself was there holding court. No dogs, no police, no ambulances, but some nice tools, none of which ended up on the floor. I think I bought some Aurio floats.

Perhaps a tavern in Kentucky, even a town with an elegant name like Covington (which I have been to many times for work) is a slightly rougher neighborhood. But then, I don't drink or show my endgrain.

Stan

Steve Southwood
03-17-2016, 8:12 PM
I was there both days and didn't really have a problem with the extra folks milling about. Great time and learned a lot. Also went to the LAP open house, another great time.

Chris Hachet
03-18-2016, 8:20 AM
I was there both days and didn't really have a problem with the extra folks milling about. Great time and learned a lot. Also went to the LAP open house, another great time.

We should have had a Sawmill Creek Lunch at the event or something, so everyone could get to know each other.

Kees Heiden
03-18-2016, 10:21 AM
I propose to do that in Amsterdam!

Steve Voigt
03-18-2016, 10:38 AM

So, a bunch of people with the munchies, planing verr-yy slow--ly?

Bill Satko
03-18-2016, 10:59 AM

I was glad to hear you were there and was able to keep our friend out of trouble.

Kees Heiden
03-18-2016, 11:56 AM

So, a bunch of people with the munchies, planing verr-yy slow--ly?

I had to look up the word munchies. I suppose it really could apply here. But otherwise, Amsterdam is a very nice town with a lot of interesting history.

Steve Southwood
03-19-2016, 11:47 AM
I was glad to hear you were there and was able to keep our friend out of trouble.

Bill we had a blast. Met lots of great folks. Spent too much coin. But hey that's why we went

Wade Holloway
03-21-2016, 5:37 PM
I thought it was a great event. It was the first one for me. They don't have them very often in Texas and even if they do it is just about as far as this one was from me. As far as being in a Tavern it helped out a lot. My wife was a lot more agreeable to my purchases after she had a few. :)

They used to have at Popular Woodworking there in Cincinnati but the last couple of years it was not well attended, at least that is what I was told.

Michael Peet
03-21-2016, 8:27 PM
With large breed dogs all around you! Come on, it doesn't get better! I will buy you a pint at the next event Michael. The crotch sniffing will be courtesy of the large breed dogs, I'm a shy guy.

It's a deal! *clink*