PDA

View Full Version : Removable Picture Window??

Rich Riddle
03-16-2016, 6:08 PM
Do they make such a thing as a removable picture window? We purchased a home with a small family room. About the only way we could get a couch in it with all the angles would be if I went through a window. Right now they are single hung and won't work. We are considering building a bay window but that would necessitate the center window being removable. Thanks.

Neil Gaskin
03-16-2016, 9:24 PM
I've never seen such an animal that would be commercially available. I could think of a few ways to custom fabricate one though it would be fairly unconvential.

Dan Hunkele
03-17-2016, 8:20 AM
Why not a set of glass patio doors?

Jerome Stanek
03-17-2016, 8:33 AM
Most windows are made so the sash can be replaced.

Bill ThompsonNM
03-17-2016, 11:25 AM
Do they make such a thing as a removable picture window? We purchased a home with a small family room. About the only way we could get a couch in it with all the angles would be if I went through a window. Right now they are single hung and won't work. We are considering building a bay window but that would necessitate the center window being removable. Thanks.

Or just remove it and reinstall. They're usually not that hard. I've done it to get a metal wood stove into a house with too small a door. One of my buddies hired someone to do it in an apartment in Boston to get his expensive leather couch into the apartment.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-17-2016, 11:32 AM
Rich,

Could the couch be stood on end and moved around the angles. I worked for Sears part-time years ago while in the US Navy. Often, we were able to stand a couch on end on a moving blanket. With one person pulling on the blanket, and the other stabilizing the couch we were able to move them through tight spots, corners, etc.

Jim Koepke
03-17-2016, 1:16 PM
Rich,

Could the couch be stood on end and moved around the angles. I worked for Sears part-time years ago while in the US Navy. Often, we were able to stand a couch on end on a moving blanket. With one person pulling on the blanket, and the other stabilizing the couch we were able to move them through tight spots, corners, etc.

Most of the time there is a way. My parents had a furniture and appliance store. Guess who grew up on furniture moving. There are a few places we could not get through the main entrance with a longer sofa.

My brothers and I were pretty much in agreement that one of the requirements for becoming an architect should be two years employment as furniture movers.

jtk

John K Jordan
03-17-2016, 1:52 PM
I had to do that to get a player piano into and out of the last house I lived in. I removed the entire steel window frame, put the piano through, then reinstalled the window. If the current windows are not easily removable I think I would do like what you are proposing, just build a custom window and make sure it could be removed the next time.

JKJ

Myk Rian
03-17-2016, 2:07 PM
I had to do that to get a player piano into and out of the last house I lived in. I removed the entire steel window frame, put the piano through, then reinstalled the window. If the current windows are not easily removable I think I would do like what you are proposing, just build a custom window and make sure it could be removed the next time.

JKJ
We had to take a window out and build a new one. Years later we did all the windows in the house.

Ed Labadie
03-17-2016, 2:12 PM
The guy across the street does it, they're replacement windows, he can pop it out in 5 minutes.....but, he used to install them for a living.

Ed

Steve Peterson
03-17-2016, 4:49 PM
There was an episode of Friends on TV where they cut the couch in half. It probably didn't end well for the couch.

Steve

Jim Becker
03-17-2016, 5:08 PM
The center glass of our large bow windows is "removable". They happen to be Pella units and were custom made due to the large, unusual size. They put the glass in after installing the frame.

Bruce Wrenn
03-17-2016, 9:43 PM
The glass in a "picture window" is usually a fixed sash. You may have to cut caulking on outside, before you remove stop on the inside.

Rich Riddle
03-17-2016, 10:12 PM
The couch is 101" tall and the ceilings are less than 8' in this area. I could envision replacement windows working now that someone mentioned them. Jim, what is enter glass?

Rich Riddle
03-17-2016, 10:29 PM
I am pondering sliding windows in lieu of the picture window. It appears as though Pella makes some decent designs. Sliding windows are what we used to build the greenhouse.

Jim Becker
03-18-2016, 10:02 AM
Jim, what is enter glass?

It's a very special thing...a mis-spelling. :) I fixed it. "Center" glass. ;) While these are a fixed pane, as someone else already noted, they are generally removable, especially on large units.

Mel Fulks
03-18-2016, 10:18 AM
They make inflatable sofas. Just saw one for under 65$.

Brian Elfert
03-18-2016, 11:41 PM
I would reconsider on sliding windows. They leak the most air of any window design as far as I know. They are usually only used on inexpensive houses since they tend to be less expensive. My current house had sliding windows that were rotten. I had them replaced with casement windows.

My previous house I had a whole row of picture windows. The carpenters installed them in the wrong order and the builder had a glass guy come out to remove the glass and put the glass in the right sashes. The windows that had the glass swapped were never as nice as the ones finished at the factory.

Sam Murdoch
03-19-2016, 9:32 AM
As this is a "small family room" you aren't likely talking about a super sized sofa. If you bought a sofa that had removable legs there are quite a few double hung and/or awning windows with easily removable sashes that would allow you to pass a sofa through.

The awning would seem like a huge window but a 32" wide x 36" +/- (overall sash sizes here) with both sashes being removable would be a big window but not oversized. An Andersen 400 series is my reference. Still pushing $ 800.00 or so for such a unit with screens but far less expensive that sliders. (I have not looked at the spec book so I'm not offering a definite solution. Your sofa your window.)

The money that you save on the new window could go to buying a nice sofa :)

Pat Barry
03-19-2016, 1:23 PM
I'd be shopping for a smaller sofa myself. Much better option that the removeable window

Rich Riddle
03-22-2016, 10:38 PM
The sofa was a present from the wife and purchased for our current home. The retirement home is the one we are discussing. She likes the sofa more than she likes me. Windows are cheaper than wives.

Myk Rian
03-23-2016, 11:43 AM
Windows are cheaper than wives.
Ain't that the truth.

Larry Frank
03-23-2016, 7:03 PM
I always explain to my wife that a big project needs some new tools....

When we redid a bathroom, we had to take out a window to get a whirlpool in....ended up with a new bay window.

Brian W Smith
03-26-2016, 7:39 AM
All windows are removable,just ask my kids(grown men now),golf balls,baseballs,rocks etc,haha.

Cost vs benefit on making a "sub-frame",for lack of better term.It houses said glass,fits into rebated jamb.