PDA

View Full Version : Epilog Legend EX24 vs Helix24

Ed Lang
09-14-2005, 2:47 PM
Are there _and_ Legend EX24 users out there? How do you like your machine?

I need to decide between a used EX24 60W unit and a new Helix 24 45W unit.

I will get the air assist pump, rotary attachment and Photo Grav software with either unit.

Any comments???

Roy Brewer
09-15-2005, 2:46 PM
I need to decide between a used EX24 60W unit and a new Helix 24 45W unit.

Ed,

Take into account that I am an Epilog/Xenetech distributor (not in your terriroty) when you consider my comments.

Unless the EX is *much* less expensive, go with the Helix. The new Radiance Optics(TM) alone is reason enough. But the improved belt paths, protected linear encoders all make for a longer lasting workhorse with improved raster and vector capabilities. However, I must say that I truely miss the graphic display of the job (which the EX has).

Robert Alexander
09-15-2005, 5:48 PM
Ed
I have had a Helix 45 watt machine since the first of June 2005. And I have been very happy with it. I have been doing alot of different things with it and it has performed great.

Ed Lang
09-15-2005, 11:17 PM
How thick of hardwood can I cut with a 45W laser?

Walnut, cherry, oak for example.

Lee DeRaud
09-16-2005, 1:14 AM
How thick of hardwood can I cut with a 45W laser?

Walnut, cherry, oak for example.I can cut 1/4" of those reasonably well with 25W, but I seriously doubt the thickness you can cut is linear with power. The woods that really give it trouble are dense exotics like purpleheart and rosewood: just burns without cutting. (I'm told air assist helps get a cleaner cut, but I don't know if it really gains you much additional thickness.)

Nick Adams
09-23-2005, 2:30 AM
I "think" the differance between the EX32 and 24 is table size only. I currently have a 32ex 75w and love it. Other then having a optic seperating on the lens I am happy. has about 1k hours since I bought it used in March. (I work long hours) I clean my machine Daily, From top to bottom, under the table. Full cycle. The auto adjustplunger broke but epilog replaced that quickly. I forgot however to ask them about the optics and now the machine is out of warranty.

Love the machine, has been a great workhourse for me, and although I am still just barely making a living I am seeing my 6 year loan turn into a 2 year loan very quickly =)

Joe Pelonio
09-23-2005, 10:34 AM
On my Epilog 24TT 45 watts I have cut 1/2" oak with two passes,
manual focus to 1/4" depth before the second pass to keep from
charring too much. Also applied transfer tape to both sides and
sponged with water. With 3/8 I can make it in one pass but here
and there the bottom of the cut may not be all the way thru,
have to cut with xacto.