PDA

View Full Version : Staining Question

Jerry Bittner
09-14-2005, 2:19 PM
Pretty stormy right here on the North Carolina coast waiting for Hurricane Ofilia to clear out. So while I'm waiting for the power to go off and it will when the brunt of the storm get here around 6 or so, I thought about putting a coat of stain on the dresser I just completed.

But, question of humidity. I'm told that it will affect finishing, varnish, whatever, but thought I might be able to get by with the staining step.

What do you think? Okay or wait for the "dry" day?

Mike Steinhilper
09-14-2005, 2:28 PM
Jerry, good luck with the storm... we had a nice outer band move through yesterday evening. I used a minwax stain on my last project. It was very hot and humid. Supposed to take 6-8 hours to dry. It took 5-7 days! This is with the garage window open at all times and a fan running. So, for me anyway, the humidity was a huge factor.

Don Baer
09-14-2005, 2:28 PM
My expierance has been that a high humidity will cause the stain to take longer to dry. That said when don't you have high humidity where you live. When I visited my son at Camp LeJeune (Navy corpsman not marine) I found that it was humid all the time so in your case you probubly wouldn't notice the differance...;)

Next time I visit my son I'll have to set up a creekers visit..:D

Jerry Bittner
09-14-2005, 2:48 PM
True about the high humidity especially July - early September but other than period, I love it particulalry after too mnay winter in Jersey and NOrtheaster Pa.

Say Hi next time your in these parts.

Don Baer
09-14-2005, 2:59 PM
True about the high humidity especially July - early September but other than period, I love it particulalry after too mnay winter in Jersey and NOrtheaster Pa.

Say Hi next time your in these parts.

It was in July when I was there last and the humidity was brutal. My son's been with the Marines for the last 3 years and is on his way back (I Hope) from Iraq. He is due for a change of duty station and will be at the Navel Hospital at LeJeune for the next 3 years so I am sure that LOML will want to make a trip back next summer to see him and the grandkids. I'll PM you when I am headed back.