PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic Table Saw Cover

Mike P Turner
03-16-2016, 8:59 AM
Hello:
I just purchased a Powermatic PM2000 TS and I'm thinking of a cover to keep it in pristine condition. Rockler sells this cover (http://www.rockler.com/zerust-no-rust-table-saw-cover#turnto-reviews-content) which should work. However, I don't like the idea of possibly trapping moisture under the cover even if the cover emits some sort of rust prevention. I'm thinking that regular coatings of Boeshield T-9 would be the best solution. Anyone ever use this cover?
Thanks.

Ray Newman
03-16-2016, 10:04 AM
Rockler sez it is only good for five years. So that is something to consider. I wonder if depending upon location, the protection life expectancy would/will be more or less??

I live in the Pacific North Wet (AKA WA) and about 20+ years ago, I purchased HTC tool covers for my machines and never regretted it.

Ben Rivel
03-16-2016, 10:51 AM
I have often thought about covers for my tools and inquired about it a couple of times around here including about these Rockler covers too. Never got too much in the way of responses and I figured that was because most probably dont cover their tools. So thus far all I have used it T-9 under a coat of wax. No problems yet but I would like to eventually find some covers for everything if for nothing else to just keep dust/dirt/debris off.

David Gutierrez
03-16-2016, 1:55 PM
I cover my sawstop, which lives in the garage, with a magnetic sheet cover. it is a one piece magnetic vinyl like used for signs. I spray wipe it down with CR33 and then cover it. it was from eagle America, tool clad magnetic tool cover.

Garth Almgren
03-16-2016, 3:51 PM
Rockler sez it is only good for five years. So that is something to consider. I wonder if depending upon location, the protection life expectancy would/will be more or less??

I live in the Pacific North Wet (AKA WA) and about 20+ years ago, I purchased HTC tool covers for my machines and never regretted it.
I'll second the HTC covers. I have one on my jointer and along with a coat of paste wax it has kept the rust at bay in my unsealed, unconditioned Pacific North Wet shop. :D

Brian W Smith
03-17-2016, 4:47 AM
We have a bunch of sheet metal equipment(big English wheel,slip roll,brakes,power shears,etc)...They get covered with "cheapish",vinyl upholstery material that has a soft,inner side.The soft side twds machine,black vinyl outward.In this environment,the vinyl over the years is rather nasty with metal dust,and general machine shop funk.The sheet metal equipment differs from other metal equip. (mills,lathes,etc),in that it isn't constantly being washed with oil,way lubes and the like.So we've found that the vinyl covers have definitely been worth the minimal expense.It keeps them clean enough.

Just sayin,upholstery vinyl has been protecting some pretty cool/vintage/valuable pcs to very good effect for over 10 years.Even though the outside is nasty,the soft,inner side is in VG condition.

Yonak Hawkins
03-17-2016, 12:48 PM
You might consider enclosing a desiccant under the cover.