PDA

View Full Version : Dust Collection Comparisions

Vince Welch
03-16-2016, 12:15 AM
So can anybody speak to the performance differences between say:
PSI 1-1/2 1 1/2HP Dustroyer Dust Collector w/ 1 Micron Canister Filter and Collection Bags https://www.pennstateind.com/store/DC2V3CF.html
and say the:
1.5HP Molded Mini Gorilla HEPA Dust Collector http://www.oneida-air.com/inventoryD.asp?item_no=XXPM010100H ?? I am using dust collection on only one machine mostly the lathe. I have always wondered how much difference there might be between these two units or comparable units? 110V only please.

Thanks, Vince

Thom Sturgill
03-16-2016, 6:27 AM
Vince I had the Harbor freight unit and upgraded to the Shop Fox 2hp version which was a little bigger. I had added the Wynn filters to the HF unit and moved them to the Shop Fox. I later bought the moulded cyclone and collection canister and built a system using the shop fox motor and impeller.

The last update was a major improvement the previous implementations were unable to remove all the dust from my table saw while the mini-gorilla does. Neither is going to get the curlies at the lathe, but I can now get the sanding dust. I still need a better collection hood and have been looking at RoboHippy's idea. I have about the same amount in my system as buying the Mini-Gorilla system you linked to, but spent over a couple of years. If I had to do it over I would spend a lit more and go for a fixed system like the low end Tempest from PSI with a larger impeller. I do not have enough power to the shop building to run much in the way of 220v machines.

Ed Wood
03-16-2016, 8:23 AM
I have the psi dc you have in the link it works well for me I use it 1 machine at a time with a home made separator. I do think the Oneida systems are a better option if for nothing else then its a all in one and takes up less space and I have a small shop. You would need to to compare the specs of the 2 machines to decide which is best for you.

David Aday
03-16-2016, 11:36 AM
So can anybody speak to the performance differences between say:
PSI 1-1/2 1 1/2HP Dustroyer Dust Collector w/ 1 Micron Canister Filter and Collection Bags https://www.pennstateind.com/store/DC2V3CF.html
and say the:
1.5HP Molded Mini Gorilla HEPA Dust Collector http://www.oneida-air.com/inventoryD.asp?item_no=XXPM010100H ?? I am using dust collection on only one machine mostly the lathe. I have always wondered how much difference there might be between these two units or comparable units? 110V only please.

Thanks, Vince

I just spent quite a bit of time comparing different 110V options trying to find one that would do the best job possible with small particles. I ended up getting the new Jet 1.5 Cyclone Dust Collector (http://www.jettools.com/us/en/p/jcdc-1-5-cyclone-dust-collector-1-5hp-115v/717515) and have been very happy with it. I also got an air particle counter and found that the jet kept small particles at very reasonable levels, even when sanding. Good luck.

Art Mann
03-16-2016, 12:20 PM
If you used both for a while, you would quickly see a very significant difference in the maintenance associated with the two machines. The Oneida is a two stage machine with a cyclone that separates most of the material before it ever gets to the filter. The Penn State filter receives more of the dust and clogs the filter much more often. Filter cleaning is a labor intensive and nasty job. The Oneida machine includes a drum for convenient removal of the waste. It is reusable. The Penn State machine uses bags that are difficult to deal with, especially if you plan to reuse them. They are expensive if you don't reuse them. Please don't assume I am a shill for Oneida. In reality, my dust collector is a Delta unit that is very much like the Penn State one. I hate it even though the suction is good. It would be long gone if I weren't planning on putting in a central cyclone system from some manufacturer.

Chris Colman
03-16-2016, 4:59 PM
Built myself a chip box to separate heavier chips from fine dust before it gets to my dust collector bag. Mounted my dust collector on top of it. They just slow down and fall out of the airstream. I open the side of the box periodically to clean them out. Never had to empty the dust bag, only very fine dust makes it through the box. (side view cutaway)

It is not cyclonic, but it works! Amazing what some old paneling can do.333930

Ed Wood
03-16-2016, 6:25 PM
If you used both for a while, you would quickly see a very significant difference in the maintenance associated with the two machines. The Oneida is a two stage machine with a cyclone that separates most of the material before it ever gets to the filter. The Penn State filter receives more of the dust and clogs the filter much more often. Filter cleaning is a labor intensive and nasty job. The Oneida machine includes a drum for convenient removal of the waste. It is reusable. The Penn State machine uses bags that are difficult to deal with, especially if you plan to reuse them. They are expensive if you don't reuse them. Please don't assume I am a shill for Oneida. In reality, my dust collector is a Delta unit that is very much like the Penn State one. I hate it even though the suction is good. It would be long gone if I weren't planning on putting in a central cyclone system from some manufacturer.

I have the psi machine and it is a little easier then you describe it has a canister filter on top and uses disposable plastic bags on the bottom but I do agree the oneida would be a better option but it should be as it costs 3x as much as the psi machine.

Vince Welch
03-17-2016, 1:21 AM
Time sure does go by. I realized that I got this unit over 12 years ago at least. The unit I have is the PSI unit I mentioned before and when I bought this unit I was not familiar with PSI and some things they are know to do but let me stay focused here. I was out in the shop today and I broke down my connectors and hosing to my dust extraction unit. Now I only have one 8-9 foot black flex hose running in a nearly straight line and the increase in suction is noticeable! I also cleaned the canister and was surprised as to how much fine dust just continued to fall in the bag below. I am sure doing this only helped increase the suction of the unit. I currently use 4" hoses. I did call and spoke to a rep from Oneida just to get some more info. I was pleased the unit he spoke to me about was the unit I looked at most carefully so at least I have a clue. Their hoses are 2-3 inches larger in diameter and he is suppose to provide me more info tomorrow. I do appreciate all the helpful comments and feedback folks. In the meantime, to celebrate St. Patrick's day I am lining out a Green flex sale through this weekend if anyone is interested. Thanks, Vince

david privett
03-17-2016, 9:30 AM
I just have the 2 hp harbor freight dust collector with a metal garbage can type cyclone. I thought there was to much tension on the cloth bag causing to much back pressure ,so reduced cfm flow. I had the wife make a lower bag out of denim to replace the clear bag, it does have less tension on the bags so more suction. I think when sanding now seems to clear the area better. just a idea if you need it.

Kyle Iwamoto
03-17-2016, 5:33 PM
[QUOTE=Chris Colman;2542761]Built myself a chip box QUOTE]

Good idea, approximate dimensions?
TIA

Chris Colman
03-17-2016, 5:43 PM
[QUOTE=Chris Colman;2542761]Built myself a chip box QUOTE]

Good idea, approximate dimensions?
TIA
Roughly 20 in wide, 24 in high and 36 in long.