PDA

View Full Version : A Day for Wallet Emptying

Jim Koepke
03-15-2016, 8:25 PM
My friend Dave called and said he had brought some more tools out of storage.

He is the person from whom I have bought a bunch of Henry Taylor carving tools and hollow & round planes in the past.

Today's haul:

Now for all the cleaning and sharpening.

jtk

Tom M King
03-15-2016, 8:31 PM
Nice Haul! If you would consider renting the sash plane, second from the left, I'd like to get some dimensions of it from you. I have four sash to make that looks like a pretty close match to that profile. Muntin width is 5/8", but I'll have to check the other dimensions tomorrow. Thanks,

Pat Barry
03-15-2016, 9:02 PM
Very nice. How much $$$

Jim Koepke
03-15-2016, 9:19 PM
Very nice. How much $$$

$304.31 total, the gimlet was bought at an antique mall and cost $4 plus .31 tax.

jtk

John Kananis
03-15-2016, 9:32 PM
Awesome buy (liking the flask too)/

Jim Koepke
03-15-2016, 10:00 PM
Awesome buy (liking the flask too)/

Yeah, I am a sucker for old oilers. He had a small one similar to one of mine with labels on it for a Bell & Howell 'film oiler.'

He also has a few things 'just for show' like a shiny set of Witherby bevel edge chisels, a Footprint infill panel size plane that looks like it could be NOS and a double iron ~5" wide cornice molding plane.

A couple of the molding planes I didn't buy had Marples stickers on them. He told me he used to travel regularly to England and would buy tools when he was there.

There were plenty of tools I left behind.

jtk

Pat Barry
03-16-2016, 8:00 AM
Seems like a good value Jim but I bet you needed to get out the lubricant to open the wallet that wide.

Archie England
03-16-2016, 8:09 AM
Nice! It's good to acquire and maintain good, old tools.

I hope to hear some sharpening pointers from you--concerning your new wood profiles. I've started buying hollows and rounds, beaders, etc. So, any suggestions are welcome.

Congrats.

george wilson
03-16-2016, 8:32 AM
From what some others charge for tools,I'd say you did pretty well cost wise.

Chris Hachet
03-16-2016, 9:15 AM
From what some others charge for tools,I'd say you did pretty well cost wise.

Agreed, and I am a little bit jealous.

Jim Koepke
03-16-2016, 6:20 PM
Nice Haul! If you would consider renting the sash plane, second from the left, I'd like to get some dimensions of it from you. I have four sash to make that looks like a pretty close match to that profile. Muntin width is 5/8", but I'll have to check the other dimensions tomorrow. Thanks,

Tom and I PMed back and forth a bit. I took some pictures:

The blade needs a bit more work as it isn't cutting evenly across the profile. The plane body and wedge could also use a little work.

jtk

Rob Lee
03-16-2016, 7:12 PM

Tom -

We have about 500 sash planes in "stock"... be glad to find you one that fits. Most 80-150 years old, UK origin.

Price sent by PM....

Cheers -

Rob

Tom M King
03-16-2016, 7:43 PM
Thanks both of you! I have so many molding planes, that I didn't know what I had. I think I found the right one today. I'll post some pictures in a day or so of the project in a new thread, in case other people are interested in this. I've had best luck with molding planes from the UK too, and that's where almost all of mine came from.

Stew Denton
03-16-2016, 10:09 PM
Hi Jim,

Definitely cool planes, and I would like eventually to know a bit about the old woody molding planes and eventually have a few, but don't now. That is a ways off for me at this point. Anyway, pretty neat.

To me, the old woodies are the way to go, for the long range, but for now, I just get to appreciate them when I see one. You did really well, IMHO, if most of them turn out to be good users.

When you do some tune up and sharpening, would it be too much trouble for you to take some pictures and describe a bit about how you go about it? I know this is getting toward your busy work time of year, with the farmers market work, so don't want to interrupt your livelihood. Thus, if you don't have time for that reason, then such is very understandable.

Thanks and regards,

Stew

Jim Koepke
03-17-2016, 9:56 AM
Hi Jim,

[edit]

When you do some tune up and sharpening, would it be too much trouble for you to take some pictures and describe a bit about how you go about it? I know this is getting toward your busy work time of year, with the farmers market work, so don't want to interrupt your livelihood. Thus, if you don't have time for that reason, then such is very understandable.

Thanks and regards,

Stew

Howdy Stew,

Aa new thread will be started when I can take pictures of the clean up and blade sharpening on molding planes.

It may be a little while.

jtk

Jerry Olexa
03-17-2016, 4:10 PM
Jim, you did well.....a fortunate haul....With envy,