PDA

View Full Version : Carter Stablilizer

Jerry Thompson
03-15-2016, 5:49 PM
I purchased said item a few years ago and have not needed it until now. I cannot get the section that holds the upper blade guards removed.
The band saw is an older, about 1988, Delta 14'' model. The Allen head screw that seems to be the one to remove the assembly will not move. I have only but mild force on it as I am afraid anymore would compound things. Any suggestions? I am going to put some penetrating oil on it tonight and see what happens.
Oddly when using a 1/4'' new Starret blade it have been surprised and the relative tight radii I have been able to turn.

Thank you.

Lee Schierer
03-15-2016, 8:49 PM
Any chance this screw might have Loc-Tite on it? Use a pencil tip soldiering iron to heat the set screw. Most Loc-Tite breaks down at about 250 degrees.

Chris Fournier
03-15-2016, 10:20 PM
Gentle heat from a propane torch will likely do the trick quickly.

Erik Loza
03-16-2016, 11:00 AM
If they used an unfinished ("black oxide") allen screw, those things are notorious for seizing in place. I always use a little bit of anti-seize paste on any unfinished allen bolt. As Lee and Chris said, I would soak it in penetrant, then try to torch it free. Good luck.

Erik

Don Sundberg
03-17-2016, 12:00 AM
You could try a impact if you have one. I've had good luck trying that.

Brian W Smith
03-17-2016, 5:00 AM
One,but certainly not the only approach to applying heat to a stubborn set screw...

Get appropriate "Allen" wrench,glowing red hot.Use vise grips as a handle,and then stick it in the set screw,count to 10 or so and then heat the wrench again.Repeat about 4-5 times,you're heat soaking the setscrew with out undo stress on surrounding parts.An IR temp gun,should see you get to around 3-400 degrees f. pretty quick....
and you ned to be kinda quick(and safe).Then have another wrench(cool,��) to break fastener.

Jerry Thompson
03-17-2016, 8:17 AM
Thanks to everyone for the replies. At present my 1/4'' blade is doing what I want it to do. So I am going to leave things alone until I am done with all of my sawing of small radii and then the re-sawing that is coming up.
I remember a fellow that had a sign off "If it ain't broke fix it until it is."