PDA

View Full Version : Older Stanely #3

Allan Ferguson
03-15-2016, 8:48 AM
Looking for info on this #3 Stanley plane. Pat on blade is 1992. There is an S on the back of the clamp that holds the blade assembly in place, no adjusting screw on the frog. Knob dinged up, no cracks in it or the tote. old and well used. I am usually found on the turners forum.

Archie England
03-15-2016, 9:08 AM
Any patent dates in front of the handle (beneath the brass wheel)?

My initial guess is, a type 8 or 9--giving the low knob, small knurled wheel, tight grained exotic handle, and the presence of the adj. lever (can't be type 6 or before). If I'm close, then this is a real jewel of a user (I've got a few and love the way they work: extremely thin shavings.) With the above attributes (and, look on the adj. lever and see if Stanley is etched in all caps. Older planes didn't have that), I'm somewhat safe to guess (based on Alvin Sellers descriptions) that you have an older Stanley Bailey, pre-1922 plane. Just how old, I'm not sure.

All I do know is, they don't make like that anymore (and I'm not talking aesthetics).

Kees Heiden
03-15-2016, 9:23 AM
An S in the casting indicates a type 7 made from 1893 to 1899.

Allan Ferguson
03-15-2016, 9:25 AM
S only in the casting in front of the tote. All caps on the adj. lever. Thanks Archie.

Stewie Simpson
03-15-2016, 9:29 AM
Type # 7 (1893 - 1899).
All features of Type # 6 except Bailey's name and patent dates eliminated from adjustment nut and cap iron.
Adjustment nuts in most planes of this type have left handed threads.
Trademark w/patent date on all irons of this type.
Spacing of number markings now 1".
"S" markings on castings ( code letter for subcontracting foundry, name unknown ).

1892 Patent Features; "The improved form of this Plane Iron renders it unnecessary to detach the Cap Iron, at any time; as the connecting screw will slide back to the extreme end of the slot in the Plane Iron without falling out. The screw may be tightened with a turn of the thumb and forefinger and the Cap Iron will serve as a convenient handle, or rest, in whetting or sharpening the cutting edge of the Plane Iron."

Kees Heiden
03-15-2016, 9:34 AM
Oh that's why the put the hole for the capiron screw at the wrong end of the blade! Sorry mr. Stanley, I much prefer to remove the capiron when wetting the blade and with the hole in the proper position at the top of the blade that is much easier.

Chris Hachet
03-15-2016, 9:55 AM
This is a dead clone to my type 7 #3, which is a really fine user. Used to want a Lie Nielson #3, until I got this thing tuned up and going....now there is $325 I will not be sending off to Maine....

Mike Brady
03-15-2016, 10:48 AM
Chris I too have the plane in the photo above. It is a very capable plane, but if you think it is the equal of the L-N iron #3, then maybe the tooth fairy will leave you the $ to find out. Again, I'm not knocking the early Stanley planes. They are the best $50.00 planes on the planet. It is unrealistic to put one next to a plane from Maine and say "no difference", but "good enough" is for you to decide.
http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee300/finefettle/Bronze08012.jpg (http://s234.photobucket.com/user/finefettle/media/Bronze08012.jpg.html)

(http://s234.photobucket.com/user/finefettle/media/Bronze08012.jpg.html)

Kees Heiden
03-15-2016, 12:04 PM
I've got a type 6. It has the right hand thread depth adjuster which is a little inconvenient. Otherwise I love it. Not matter how good the LN is, these oldies beat them on looks.

Jim Koepke
03-15-2016, 12:21 PM
Nice little plane Allen. The #3 is one of the more used sizes among my planes.

S only in the casting in front of the tote. All caps on the adj. lever.

There are a few differences in the types depending on the plane size. The original type studies were compiled from the more common #4 and #5 planes. These models being the highest selling would have less carry over of old parts on hand being used in their assembly. If there are more 'S'es in the castings, or even a 'B' for that matter, they are likely on the underside of the frog and under the frog in the base casting. There may be a patent date, or more than one, on the lateral lever. They would be below where STANLEY is stamped.

It doesn't look to be a type 9 (1902-1907). A picture of the frog's front without the blade would make this clear. The type 9 also has patent dates behind the frog and Bailey in front of the knob.

The only difference between type 7 (1893-1899) and type 8 (1899-1902) is the letter 'B' replaces the 'S' in the casting and the type 8 has only one patent date on the lateral lever.

The type 6 (1888-1892) Is the first type with the round disk on the lateral adjuster. It is also the last to have the patent information stamped inside the brass adjuster. The adjuster on the type 6 and those before it used right hand threads. This was changed at the end of the type 6 and before the type 7. It is one of the 'types' that fell through the cracks and was sort of shoe horned in later as a type 6a.

Type 5 (1885-1888) had a lateral adjuster with the end engaging the blade bent up. There is a curious matter concerning type 5. The lateral lever has its first patent date listed as 2-8-76. Maybe the lateral levers appeared on the transitional planes before being used on the cast iron planes.

Oh that's why the put the hole for the capiron screw at the wrong end of the blade! Sorry mr. Stanley, I much prefer to remove the capiron when wetting the blade and with the hole in the proper position at the top of the blade that is much easier.

The unmentioned aspect of having the large hole at the bottom of the plane is to allow for the lateral adjuster to work when the blade is nearing end of life.

It is a very capable plane, but if you think it is the equal of the L-N iron #3, then maybe the tooth fairy will leave you the $ to find out.

The Lie Nielsen plane is machined to much higher precision. I can not think of a Stanley/Bailey plane in my shop that has less than a full turn of backlash in the adjuster. Most of them have lateral adjusters that rattle when the plane is picked up and turned to let shavings fall out between passes. The Lie Nielsen planes also have Bedrock style frog adjustment. With all of that, my preference is still for the rounded side Bailey look than the flat top Bedrock/ Lie Nielsen look.

jtk

Allan Ferguson
03-15-2016, 12:46 PM
I have a newer #3 that I use in the shop. At 140 Lbs I find the larger planes hard to push. I have a small collection of planes. Thanks everyone for your interest and responses.

Chris Hachet
03-15-2016, 1:04 PM
Chris I too have the plane in the photo above. It is a very capable plane, but if you think it is the equal of the L-N iron #3, then maybe the tooth fairy will leave you the $ to find out. Again, I'm not knocking the early Stanley planes. They are the best $50.00 planes on the planet. It is unrealistic to put one next to a plane from Maine and say "no difference", but "good enough" is for you to decide.
http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee300/finefettle/Bronze08012.jpg (http://s234.photobucket.com/user/finefettle/media/Bronze08012.jpg.html)

(http://s234.photobucket.com/user/finefettle/media/Bronze08012.jpg.html)

I actually find myself reaching for my vintage planes more than anything when I work. YMMV.

Ray Selinger
03-15-2016, 1:09 PM
I'm a sucker for rosewood. Looking at a plane as a machine, the Bailey attachment of the frog is much more secure than the Bedrock. look at the thread area as compared to the cone area. Does it matter ? No. But to dismiss a Bailey because it's not a Bedrock is utter foolishness.

Mike Henderson
03-15-2016, 1:44 PM
I think that patent date on the blade is something like April 19, 92 (as in 1892). People confuse it with 1992 all the time.

Mike

Kees Heiden
03-15-2016, 2:58 PM
Just for fun, here is my #3, in its natural habitat.

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll266/Kees2351/plane/foto%208_zpsgbrdeicd.jpg (http://s290.photobucket.com/user/Kees2351/media/plane/foto%208_zpsgbrdeicd.jpg.html)

don wilwol
03-16-2016, 5:40 AM
Most likly a type 7. The letter “S” cast into the frog, lever cap, and/or bed is likely the mark of the Sessions Foundry, who contracted with Stanley to produce their castings.