Bob Weisner
09-14-2005, 12:57 PM
:confused:

Ok, I am stumped. What does BORG mean??

Corey Hallagan
09-14-2005, 1:01 PM
BIG OLD RETAIL GIANT
BIG ORANGE RETAIL GIANT
Heard several different but it is referring to Home Depots and other Home Centers. Blue Borg is Lowes etc.

Corey

Brad Townsend
09-14-2005, 1:33 PM
It also refers to an alien entity from Star Trek - The Next Generation that was made up of thousands of cyberconnected individuals who cruised the galaxy in a big cube and assimilated anyone who opposed them. Hence the comparison with Home Depot.:D:D

Bill Arnold
09-14-2005, 2:19 PM
BIG OLD RETAIL GIANT
BIG ORANGE RETAIL GIANT
Heard several different but it is referring to Home Depots and other Home Centers. Blue Borg is Lowes etc.

CoreyOK, but IF:

BORG is Big Orange Retail Giant = Home Depot

wouldn't that make

Lowe's = BBRG = Big Blue Retail Giant

???

:)

Corey Hallagan
09-14-2005, 2:28 PM
I have heard many but one of the bases is: BORG = Big Old Retail Giant hence Blue BORG = Lowes. I have heard many versions. I prefer just to say HD or Lowes, Menards etc.

Corey

Don Baer
09-14-2005, 2:30 PM
I have heard many but one of the bases is: BORG = Big Old Retail Giant hence Blue BORG = Lowes. I have heard many versions. I prefer just to say HD or Lowes, Menards etc.

Corey

Orange Borg => HD
Blue Borg => Lowes
Yellow Borg => Menards

:)

Lee DeRaud
09-14-2005, 3:15 PM
Orange Borg => HD
Blue Borg => Lowes
Yellow Borg => Menards

:)Mini-Borg => OSH :p

Phil Phelps
09-14-2005, 3:21 PM
I thought it was a place where we shopped, out of desperation. when real quality stores wern't open :D

Dan Gill
09-14-2005, 5:03 PM
You've got the idea. The similarities to the Borg from Star Trek are many - they're big boxes, they're uncaring, and they want to assimilate you.:D

Don Baer
09-14-2005, 5:05 PM
Mini-Borg => OSH :p

Why did I have a vision of Al Borlin from Tool Time when I saw that..:eek:

Scott Parks
09-14-2005, 5:44 PM
Buying ORGanizing... ie: wholesale retailer.

Charles Hans
09-14-2005, 7:57 PM
If BORG is the big orange box,

would BLOX mean the big blue box?
"is a puzzlement"!
Chuck

Matt McCormick
09-15-2005, 12:18 PM
Well a BORG my friend........ They come to your town all big and shiny and new.They have a grand opening
Free hot dogs, Monster truck rides, Top end Tool Demos lots of stuff. And you go you look...... They have EVERY DARN THING you have ever needed. Wow these guys are great you say to yourself and you buy stuff you never knew you needed. Then all of a sudden A new searchlight appears in the sky you wonder "what is this?" you follow it like a moth to a flame and by gosh it's another one, only a different color but it has almost all the same stuff and some Tools the other guys don't sell. Well it's heaven on earth. You go to one then the other for months. Then......... one day you look for the friendly guy who always is in a great mood and always knows EXACTLY where everything is and can tell you how to do the Job in 15 minutes when it always has taken all weekend to do it before. You go from isle to isle looking, looking you whimper under your breath where’s Tim? Where's Tim? You see a guy wearing Tim’s colored vest so you walk his way and like Tim he sees you coming to ask him something but this guy, this darn guy he suddenly vanishes. How did he do that? Oh well , Hey there is another you walk closer and you notice the Tatoos,the odor the glazed look in his eye(only one he is wearing a patch) and you see it's the guy who 3 months ago robbed your brothers Liquor store. What happened? How can this be? You look around and head for the tool Corral "Hey there is a guy there! You ask Him "Where that great router is that you have been saving up for is? He says" We don't carry them anymore.too much trouble" says he. He reaches down under the counter and pulls up one that same color and says "these are our Best ones and they are 25 bucks on sale!" you reach for it and it weights about what a wet sponge weights and has no collet, no varispeed knob just a bent nail sticking out the bottom. "This isn't a Triton"you say."Dude it's orange,same color I think they are made in the same factory but we arn't supposed to tell customers. It's as good" he replies. Stunned you ask."How’s this work on pine?" "Pine!! heck your don't use a router on Hardwoods Mr. Here, look in our latest Borg WoodWerkz Magazine.It explains Routers to guys, like you, who don't know anything about tools. Handing the router back as fast as you can you turn and break into a quick jog.<O:p
At last you see an attractive lady in a bright vest and she sees you and she is coming to HELP you!!!!! Great so you ask her about what do I need to replace my front door lock? She goes into a trance and tells you all about drawer pulls..... Then you recognize her... She was the checker at Kmart last week....... All of a sudden you know what a BORG is. Tears fill your eyes you run for you car, I’ll go to OL Jed's lumber Shed the local mom and pop shop. You pull into the parking lot and drive between the clumps of weed in the parking lot, your mouth is agape as you see broken windows, graffiti and a little sign - Coming soon a new BORG at this site. As you turn to walk away a homeless man asks if you have a dime..... He looks just like old' Jed.<O:p

Jim McCarty
09-15-2005, 3:17 PM
Sadly, there is more than a little truth to this tale. When the competition is gone most of the incentive for service is eliminated. I grew up in a small independent lumber yard and hardware store and it was a very rewarding family type business. Nowdays it's all about big corporated bottom lines and mass merchandising. Sad. Fortunately, where I live, we have Ganahl Lumber and a few small hardwood suppliers but I'm sure that the borgs have taken some of their business and enthusiasm away. I only shop the borgs when I don't have a choice. Just my $.02
Well a BORG my friend........ They come to your town all big and shiny and new.They have a grand opening
Free hot dogs, Monster truck rides, Top end Tool Demos lots of stuff. And you go you look...... They have EVERY DARN THING you have ever needed. Wow these guys are great you say to yourself and you buy stuff you never knew you needed. Then all of a sudden A new searchlight appears in the sky you wonder "what is this?" you follow it like a moth to a flame and by gosh it's another one, only a different color but it has almost all the same stuff and some Tools the other guys don't sell. Well it's heaven on earth. You go to one then the other for months. Then......... one day you look for the friendly guy who always is in a great mood and always knows EXACTLY where everything is and can tell you how to do the Job in 15 minutes when it always has taken all weekend to do it before. You go from isle to isle looking, looking you whimper under your breath where’s Tim? Where's Tim? You see a guy wearing Tim’s colored vest so you walk his way and like Tim he sees you coming to ask him something but this guy, this darn guy he suddenly vanishes. How did he do that? Oh well , Hey there is another you walk closer and you notice the Tatoos,the odor the glazed look in his eye(only one he is wearing a patch) and you see it's the guy who 3 months ago robbed your brothers Liquor store. What happened? How can this be? You look around and head for the tool Corral "Hey there is a guy there! You ask Him "Where that great router is that you have been saving up for is? He says" We don't carry them anymore.too much trouble" says he. He reaches down under the counter and pulls up one that same color and says "these are our Best ones and they are 25 bucks on sale!" you reach for it and it weights about what a wet sponge weights and has no collet, no varispeed knob just a bent nail sticking out the bottom. "This isn't a Triton"you say."Dude it's orange,same color I think they are made in the same factory but we arn't supposed to tell customers. It's as good" he replies. Stunned you ask."How’s this work on pine?" "Pine!! heck your don't use a router on Hardwoods Mr. Here, look in our latest Borg WoodWerkz Magazine.It explains Routers to guys, like you, who don't know anything about tools. Handing the router back as fast as you can you turn and break into a quick jog.<O:p
At last you see an attractive lady in a bright vest and she sees you and she is coming to HELP you!!!!! Great so you ask her about what do I need to replace my front door lock? She goes into a trance and tells you all about drawer pulls..... Then you recognize her... She was the checker at Kmart last week....... All of a sudden you know what a BORG is. Tears fill your eyes you run for you car, I’ll go to OL Jed's lumber Shed the local mom and pop shop. You pull into the parking lot and drive between the clumps of weed in the parking lot, your mouth is agape as you see broken windows, graffiti and a little sign - Coming soon a new BORG at this site. As you turn to walk away a homeless man asks if you have a dime..... He looks just like old' Jed.<O:p

Ian Abraham
09-15-2005, 4:32 PM
One's a bunch of mindless cyborgs programed to take over the universe and the others are an alien race from Star Trek...

http://www.terrace.qld.edu.au/moo/borg/borgcubeexterior.jpg

http://www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_home/2004/Aug-18-Wed-2004/photos/depot.jpg

Not much difference really :rolleyes:

Hank Knight
09-15-2005, 5:29 PM
[....... All of a sudden you know what a BORG is. Tears fill your eyes you run for you car, I’ll go to OL Jed's lumber Shed the local mom and pop shop. You pull into the parking lot and drive between the clumps of weed in the parking lot, your mouth is agape as you see broken windows, graffiti and a little sign - Coming soon a new BORG at this site. As you turn to walk away a homeless man asks if you have a dime..... He looks just like old' Jed.<O:p[/font][/color]

Last weekend I went to the Orange BORG looking for a 2" motor pully and a belt. I looked for motor supplies without luck so I looked for a sales person. Eventually, I came across a young guy with the BORG smock on and asked him if he knew if they carried motor pullys. He shook his head "No" but didn't say anything. I asked, "You don't know, or you don't carry them?" He responded in a surly, agressive tone, "We don't carry none of that stuff." I guess he was offended by my suggestion that he might not know.
Interestingly, there is an independent hardware store directly across the street from the BORG. I went there and found the exact pully I needed, the correct belt and got knowledgeable service. As I paid and left I remarked to the guy at the register, who turned out to be the owner, "It's nice to know there are still real hardware stores around." I got a big smile in return and he said, "That's how I make my living." I will stop there first from now on. I hope he's still there next time.

Don Baer
09-15-2005, 5:49 PM
I'n my community we had 1 hardware store when I moved here 29 years ago. Then another open giving us an ACE and a true Value stores. Later as the comunity grew a third Ace opened up. Then an Orange Borg moved in. Then a Blue Borg moved in 1 block from the Ornage borg. Then a Green Mini-Borg opened up. Now the second Ace has closed it's doors.
I needed a motor pulley and belt for an old Craftman scroll saw I obtained a while back and went to the ornage borg cause it was closest to where I live. Same expierance as you. Then I went to the blue borg same results. Then I went to the True value and got what I needed with no problum. I sure hope that the remaining ACE and True Value stay around.