PDA

View Full Version : Ya' gotta have faith!

Ken Fitzgerald
03-14-2016, 10:27 PM
I am milling some red for the last window I need to trim out. This window is 8'x4' and in the living room. My previous attempt ended badly because I ripped it within 1/16th of an inch width and then jointed one side and edge. I stickered it and left it overnight. The next morning it had warped so badly, there wasn't enough waste left for me to save it. I will use it in an upcoming door or bath room vanity.

68 miles and $35 later I had a new rough cut 4/4, 10' by 10" piece of red oak. I let it set in my shop for nearly two weeks to acclimate. One side was pretty straight, not perfect but close. So using that side, I ripped the boards width to produce two pieces 4 1/2" wide by 10'.

I started the jointing process and wow! I couldn't believe the away things were going. I played the old wiggly pencil mark the entire length game and couldn't believe how much it was "appearing" to take to get this first piece flat. I finally pulled my 9' straight edge and compared it to my results and in fact, I was making progress but it was slow. This board was warped. The second board milled a whole lot easier! Eventually, I got both boards with one side and one face jointed. It's stickered and we'll see what tomorrow brings.

I ripped the board because the narrow widths were easier for me to handle by myself.

Though I have never had any reason to doubt the accuracy of my Grizzly GO490X jointer, I just didn't want to believe what the board was showing me. Sometimes though, you have to trust your tools!

BTW...this time I roughed ripped it so I have an extra 1 3/4" width to mill if necessary.

Mike Ontko
03-15-2016, 12:06 AM
Had a similar experience recently with some wonky Douglas fir. I thought for sure that my Grizzly G0593 jointer beds were out of kilter but it turned out to be a couple of twisty and prestressed boards that just didn't want to lay straight. The upside is that now I know for certain that my jointer setup is straight, square, and coplaner to within .001 over its 75" length.

I chalk it up to the given cost of learning--you either pay to learn your lessons in a class, a seminar, a video, or a book, or you pay to learn them in the shop, one mistake at a time :)