PDA

View Full Version : What size drawers for Blum soft close glides

ron defino
03-14-2016, 4:21 PM
I'm building my first cabinet. I have my faceframe made and the draw opening is 4 1/2 x 21.

I'm looking at having the draw box made using 5/8 maple for the sides of the box. What would be the overall width of the box from side to side. Need to figure out the dimensions for the box maker and I'm a little confused when it comes to figuring in the blum gliders.

Thanks for any help.

Ron

Gerry Grzadzinski
03-14-2016, 4:27 PM
What model slide? They have different models depending on side thickness, as the dimensions are calculated from the inside of the box, where the slides mount.

ron defino
03-14-2016, 4:35 PM
Thank you for the reply. I;m looking at getting these from Rocker: 21" Tandem Blumotion Drawer Slides.

Jamie Buxton
03-14-2016, 6:03 PM
The common version of Tandems accepts drawer sides that are 1/2 or 5/8" thick. There's a different version that handles 3/4" thick drawer sides. Let me guess you're using the common one. If so, and if your drawer sides are 5/8" thick, the side gaps are 3/16". That is, the outside width of the drawer box is 3/8" less than the cabinet opening. The outside depth of the drawer box is 21". The recess in the bottom of the drawer box is 1/2" tall.

If you're using a commercial builder of drawer boxes, they usually offer notching and boring the rear of the box to fit the Tandems, and the cost is only a few bucks.

ron defino
03-14-2016, 7:00 PM
The common version of Tandems accepts drawer sides that are 1/2 or 5/8" thick. There's a different version that handles 3/4" thick drawer sides. Let me guess you're using the common one. If so, and if your drawer sides are 5/8" thick, the side gaps are 3/16". That is, the outside width of the drawer box is 3/8" less than the cabinet opening. The outside depth of the drawer box is 21". The recess in the bottom of the drawer box is 1/2" tall.

If you're using a commercial builder of drawer boxes, they usually offer notching and boring the rear of the box to fit the Tandems, and the cost is only a few bucks.

Thanks Jamie.

Just so I understand, this is a little new to me. If my opening of the faceframe is 21", then I would want my draw box overall width to be 20 5/8" ? Am I right? I'm using 5/8" thick drawer sides.

The depth of the drawer boxes is 21"

thanks again

Bill McNiel
03-14-2016, 10:02 PM
Ron,
My rule of thumb is ...... Buy the drawer slides first and then size the drawer.

Many undermounts require the bottom of the drawer to be recessed 1/2" in addition to a 1/2" clearance thus a total 1" loss of height.

Jerry Miner
03-15-2016, 2:13 AM
Thanks Jamie.

Just so I understand, this is a little new to me. If my opening of the faceframe is 21", then I would want my draw box overall width to be 20 5/8" ? Am I right? I'm using 5/8" thick drawer sides.

The depth of the drawer boxes is 21"

thanks again

Don't want to step on Jamie's toes, but yes, 21" wide opening would mean a 20 5/8" drawer box. 21" overall drawer depth (front-to-back) for 21" slides.

We use these in our shop all the time. We find that an overall of 21 1/16" actually fits a little better---better engagement of the tab in the back.

Paul Wunder
03-15-2016, 10:37 AM
http://www.blum.com/us/en/02/40/20/

Go to the Blum link above. They have a great Excel spreadsheet application that will walk you through what you need to know

ron defino
03-15-2016, 12:10 PM
Hi Paul,

Nice spread sheet. I think I get it now. One question to make sure I;m reading this right. Where it says the "inside drawer width. Th'at the width without the side added in. So I would add in 5/8 for each side to get the over all width to tell the draw maker?

thanks for all the help everyone.

Paul Wunder
03-15-2016, 6:12 PM
Ron, you are correct: Inside drawer width +5/8+5/8.

Further down on the spreadsheet is a graphic of your drawer dimensions.

Good luck

Ellen Benkin
03-16-2016, 3:31 PM
When I had drawer boxes made I told them the model of Blum slides I would use (actually bought them from the same company) and the actual dimensions of the opening and let them figure out the box sizes. They were pros at this and the boxes were exactly the right sizes. Also, they made the notches and holes for the Blum slides. It saved me hours of work and trying to figure out the dimensions.