PDA

View Full Version : Necklaces

Dave Fritz
03-14-2016, 2:36 PM
I've seen a brief overview of turning jewelry using multiple bits of wood glued on to a carrier stick and turned between centers. These bits are then removed and cut or modified and eventually made into necklaces or ear rings.

I wonder if anyone has experience with this or could recommend a reference to learn more about it. I have tons of small pieces I can make myself throw away.

Dwight Rutherford
03-14-2016, 2:51 PM
Go to You Tube and search "turning pendants". Lots of clips.

Dave Fritz
03-14-2016, 3:54 PM
I've done that but can't find anyone turning multiple pieces glued to a stick. I'm not interested in turning a pendant, I can do that.

John Conklin
03-14-2016, 6:33 PM
I can't help you with your search Dave, but I'd be interested in finding some information on it. Sounds interesting.

Dave Fritz
03-14-2016, 9:27 PM
I've found it's a process developed by Frank Kobilsik. He'll be presenting at Turn on Chicago if anyone's interested and is going. http://turnonchicago.com/Frank-Kobilsik.html

Jeramie Johnson
03-15-2016, 12:34 PM
I've found it's a process developed by Frank Kobilsik. He'll be presenting at Turn on Chicago if anyone's interested and is going. http://turnonchicago.com/Frank-Kobilsik.html

Frank is a member of SMC, but last post was in '11.

Dick Strauss
03-17-2016, 10:34 AM
I haven't seen the demo you mention. However, the process that folks have used for some time involves double stick taping or hot gluing small pieces of highly figured wood to the end of a dowel rod. The piece can be shaped as needed, can be turned offset, etc just like on the Joyner pendant system. You can use a second dowel from the tailstock side to apply center pressure while working off the edge of support from your primary headstock dowel. After that, the piece can be combined with other pieces of wood/resin and turned again or can be cut on the bandsaw and shaped/carved by hand. There are lots of options...do a search for wood jewelry on y..tube to get some other ideas.

Look up Brendan Stemp on y..tube for resin and wood creations. He demos the Vermec sphere cutter for those interested in "Resin 'n Wood Episode 3".

Take care,
Dick

carl mesaros
03-18-2016, 6:29 PM
Dave, David Reed Smith had a project in Woodturning Design magazine a while back showing how to make laminated earnings. It involved gluing several species of wood together, drilling through the center, turning to round, and then cutting on a bias on the bandsaw, sand and finish, then using earring hangers, which he provides a source.
I made several sets and they were very popular. If you google David Reed Smith, you'll find his web site and a list of all his projects including earrings and I believe a necklace.