PDA

View Full Version : Festool ets dc versus Mirka Deros

bruce buren
03-14-2016, 8:04 AM
Guys

I am going to step up to a quality ROS and am looking for input. I have a bosch, porter cable, and a rigid currently. I have tried the Mirka Deros at the Woodsmith Store and it was very nice, but is it worth 200 more than the festool?
Maybe I am not comparing apples to apples? Is the Festool Rotex more inline with the Mirka? Or is there another quality sander out there that you have experience with?

Searched internet for comparisons and all I found was a couple you tube videos in another language.

Reasons for upgrading: Better dust collection, smoother operation with less arm fatigue.

thanks guys

Bruce

peter gagliardi
03-14-2016, 10:33 AM
Ive used both side by side for a week, i kept the festool. More power, smoother running, better warranty, and best of all, the festool was the LESS expensive option for once. The Mirka was too gimicky with cheap feeling buttons, and a top paddle that needed to be pushed to operate. I dont always want to grip the tool from the top.
You can test the festool yourself for a month and if you dont like return it.

bruce buren
03-14-2016, 11:02 AM
thanks Peter! I was leaning towards the green to match my other green stuff. Festool stuff I currently have (domino, track saw, extractor) have all been great

Joe Adams
03-14-2016, 2:12 PM
I'd look at the new Festool EC sanders. They are more expensive than the ETS models but are getting great reviews. If you go ETS, get either of the 150 sizes over the 125. I have all three and the 150's are far more versatile. The ETS 125 has a very small stroke and seems a bit underpowered.

peter gagliardi
03-14-2016, 3:04 PM
Bruce, i should clarify. I have the 6" ETS EC. I assume that is the apples to apples comparison you were looking for??
I also have the Rotex 6" that i now use for more aggressive work- it was my fine finish machine for 8-10 years prior.

bruce buren
03-14-2016, 3:32 PM
Peter, yep I was thinking the 6" ets ec.

Would you suggest the 3mm or 5mm stroke. This will be my fine finishing sander.

peter gagliardi
03-14-2016, 4:06 PM
I only buy, and would only suggest buying the 5mm pattern, unless you like sanding to take a long time? Bigger orbit=faster removal. Before anyone mentions finer finish on smaller orbit, thats a myth. Your finish quality is determined by where you start in grit, and where you finish.
I typically run 150-180 to start off the widebelt, and run up to 320.

Greg R Bradley
03-14-2016, 4:13 PM
I find the ETS150/5 to be the most useful. We now have 3 of those and one of the 150/3. I don't understand why the /3 outsells the /5.

I find the ETS125 to be a bit of a joke. It is nice for overhead sanding due to the lighter weight.

I have not tried any of the new brushless sanders but they would not balance on the work by themselves, which is my major grip for using a Rotax for finish work.

Graham Wintersgill
03-14-2016, 4:47 PM
Just to add to the mix I have a Maffel 150/5 and am very impressed with it. Great dust extraction and well balanced.

Worth a look.

Regards

Graham

John Sincerbeaux
03-14-2016, 5:28 PM
I own several festool tools and am a huge fan. However, when I bought an ETS 125 I immediately thought there was something wrong with it. Worthless! Discouraged me from other festool sanders.
The only sanders I hook up to my festool DC are two Mirka Ceros sanders. Smooth, quiet, powerful, or gentle if needed. I use the 5" for flat work and a 3" for round work.

William C Rogers
03-14-2016, 5:31 PM
You really need to see if you can compare side by side. I have the Ceros. I looked at the Festool, but compared Mirka it was heavy and not as easy to use. I really like the paddle control. With the abranet I believe it has the best control compared to others. I have had it 4 years and if it broke today I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.