View Full Version : Air powered tools vs electric

Keith Downing
03-13-2016, 5:26 PM
Finally getting the shop squared away. Added the 60 gallon 3 hp IR compressor, plumbing it in tomorrow. So now for the fun stuff: more tools!

I know this has been asked in some threads before, but I couldn't find any threads in the last 5 years so I thought i would start a new thread instead of trying to bring one of those back to life.

What tools offer a significant advantage using air vs electric? Cost vs performance?

I'm definitely going to be doing some finishing, so that's in. And I already have some nailers I use with my little pancake compressor. But what about others?

Sander? Reciprocating saw? I don't really think I have a need for an impact wrench since I'm not doing auto work (do I?)

Anything else?

The compressor should be able to handle most tools, and I'm including dryers, regulators and drains. So no worries there. Just don't want to spend money replacing an older electric tool with an air tool and be disappointed in the results.

Mike Henderson
03-13-2016, 5:37 PM
Air tools are generally lighter but it takes more electricity to compress the air to drive an air tool, than the electricity needed for an electric tool (such as a sander).

Mike

Tom Ewell
03-13-2016, 5:46 PM
I hear high praise for the Dynabrade air products but don't know how cost effective it is to run a brute compressor in combo with them for something like finishing work when compared to the typical small draw electric sanders.

Pneumatic nail guns, spray guns etc..... well yep, they need air to work. I run a 60gal Puma for spraying projects and papping together stuff with the nailers/staplers but most of my other air tools are for typical mechanical works like impacts, needle scalers, grinders etc.

I have enough decent electric sanders on central and vac dust collection to not need those pneumatics in the wood shop.

For limited use stuff, like metal shears, nibblers, riveters etc the air driven stuff is normally a lot less initial cost than the equivalent electric models regardless of 'quality status'.

Top notch air gear is reputed to 'last forever' as well, even so I've got some pretty dang old electrics still in service.

Lee Schierer
03-13-2016, 6:07 PM
Many electric tools offer variable speed, air tool speed can be controlled to some degree with air pressure, but usually performance drops off significantly with reduced air pressure.

Look at your amp meter, which is cheaper to operate, a fractional Hp sander motor or a 3 Hp compressor

Jim Becker
03-13-2016, 6:41 PM
Air tools may have some advantage in an industrial setting, but many of them require more air than a typical 60 gallon compressor can provided. I use mine for spraying finish, running nailers and caring for vehicle tires.

John Blazy
03-13-2016, 6:49 PM
That's a tough toss up - advantages pro and con. I have a pneumatic disc sander that always has 60 grit on it, which frees up my electric 8" grinder/sander for all other discs. Maybe the main thing is noise. I hate to hear the compressor start up and run coupled with the sound of the disc sander. BUt, it runs at all RPM's depending on trigger pull, and is much lighter with a narrow body, so is easy to man-handle. nice to have that.

I still favor electric, as long as it has variable speed. nice and quiet. Then the right angle die grinder is awesome for air.

The best part of having a compressor in the shop is the air hose to blow off stuff, between switching tools.

Chris Parks
03-13-2016, 6:55 PM
Air tools are noisier and with the emergence of more capable battery tools no a great advantage these days. I always have thought the big advantage to air tools was the motor can't burn out. For extended use the tool can become very cold and uncomfortable to hold. I do use them a lot but only for specific purposes like driving screws when doing landscaping and garden work.

Jim Becker
03-13-2016, 7:29 PM
The best part of having a compressor in the shop is the air hose to blow off stuff, between switching tools.

Bingo! Now that's very, very true!

Keith Downing
03-14-2016, 12:44 AM
Bingo! Now that's very, very true!

Good info overall. Probably just going to add a sander and a larger nailer for now.

Random question, for the hand held "blowers" do you usually run them at the full ~150 psi out of the compressor? Or put a regulator in front of them to control the flow more thoroughly?

Tom Ewell
03-14-2016, 12:55 AM
Assorted blow gun stuff here but mostly use the pistol grip type, very easy to control the outflow straight off the pipe and a few 'puffs' is all most dusting-off needs.

Jerome Stanek
03-14-2016, 7:30 AM
I have many different blowers if you get one get the one that has the side hole that OSHA requires.

Jim Becker
03-14-2016, 10:27 AM
Good info overall. Probably just going to add a sander and a larger nailer for now.

Nailers are no issue. Sander might be...you'll need to ascertain what each specific sander you are considering requires for the air supply...and it's not trivial.

Rich Engelhardt
03-14-2016, 10:32 AM
A major reason for pneumatic tools instead of electric is that pneumatic eliminates the electrocution hazard using electric tools around water and/or damp areas causes.

A 120V power line being dragged around a soaking wet garage where mechanics need to use power tools is a huge danger.
Eliminate the electric and the shock hazard goes away.

In a wood shop you'll seldom if ever run across standing water.
In a muffler shop, where drills and other power tools are required, standing water is nearly always present.

Mike Schuch
03-16-2016, 9:49 PM
I have a couple pneumatic sanders... I never use them.

A couple air tools I love...
1/8" HarborFreight micro die grinder. It has at least as much power as my Dremel but is the size of a fat pencil. It is soooo much easier to operate than a Dremel because of its small size.

I also love their high speed pneumatic metal saw. Here again it gets into places that a electric saw can't. I guess I don't use it for wood working much but I do find myself using it a lot.

Ugh! I can't believe I just recommended to HF tools!!!! But they both do a great job and are great bargains for their price. You know those HF starter pneumatic tool sets? Forget them, they are the bottom of the barrel for all the tools that come with them.

For a blow gun get one of the venturi blowers. You get about three times the volume of air that you get from a regular blower.

For nailers and staplers forget the HF ones they are just a headache. I have a couple great little Grizzly staplers I love. I like Porter Cable for my brad nailers.

For sanders, drills and the such I really prefer electric over pneumatic for many reasons. A electrical cord is a lot smaller and easier to whip around than a big old hose. I can also plug them in anywhere so I am not tethered to my air compressor. A high CFM consuming tool like a sander will drain a compressor tank and you then have to wait for the compressor to recharge. Fortunately here in the US I never run out of 120v and my tool always run the same speed (versus running slower as the tank gets lower).

Jim Andrew
03-16-2016, 9:58 PM
Years ago I worked in a cabinet shop, and used air powered random orbit sanders. One sander would keep a huge air compressor running.

John K Jordan
03-17-2016, 12:51 AM
This Grex random-orbital sander was recommended by Rudy Lopez, and woodturner demonstrating at the TN symposium. I got one and it works well. Works with a 2" disk.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HFPDJQ

This and a cheap air operated file are the only air tools I keep in the woodworking part of my shop:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006ZB8ZMS

I occasionally use a needle scaler for texturing.

I have many air tools for use elsewhere. Ain't nothing like a good impact wrench for working on the tractor!

BTW, air in the shop is much more useful if you don't have to drape a hose across things. I plumbed lines in the walls and ceilings to six outlets inside and one outside the shop, one feeding a long hose on a reel that can reach into the drive beside the shop.

JKJ

Brian W Smith
03-17-2016, 4:28 AM
We have a fulltime pro cabinet/millshop,an "all processes" welding dept,a complete machine shop,600 sq ft spraybooth,so air and air compressor'S are a fact of life.But,don't just grab an airhog tool(certain sanders,blasters,etc)and go to town.Our compressor is given the benefit of doubt.IOWs,go easy on it.Limited airhog usage.Saving the machine and electricity as much as possible.

Marc Timmy Smith
03-21-2016, 6:39 AM
Last year I decided to add air to my home shop - mainly for spray painting purposes. I bought the 6 gallon CAT air compressor (http://www.thediyhubby.com/air-compressor-reviews/) and spray gun kit. Added a nailer and orbit sander (http://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools/sanders/6-inch-orbital-composite-sander-65173.html) a few days later. These tools are still the only air tools I use and can't see air tools replacing any of my electric tools. Don't think I will purchase more air tools any time soon.

Alan Lightstone
03-21-2016, 10:23 AM
I have a 23ga air-driven Grex pinless nailer that I like a lot. Hate the noise and having to wait for the compressor.

I recently bought a Senco cordless electric 18ga nailer that I like even better. I keep searching to see if anyone makes a 21ga cordless one.

Mostly I find the compressor a PIA, but do agree that blowing air to clean out cyclone, or projects is nice. Otherwise, it's just there to fill up the car tires.