PDA

View Full Version : Is it April 1?

Malcolm Schweizer
03-13-2016, 1:53 PM
I am a huge fan of Veritas tools, but I truly had to check my calendar on this one. Nope, it isn't April 1. I'm still waiting for my laser guided saw with retracting blade guard.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=74183&cat=51&ap=1

george wilson
03-13-2016, 2:11 PM
I must agree. It is totally impossible to save a wood hack's destroying a piece of wood,even if he has this guide to at least help him saw straight! He will mess up in a different area.

Nick Stokes
03-13-2016, 2:16 PM
Is this Veritas answer to Lie-Nielson's idea to sell a tapered toe to heel blade?

Jim Koepke
03-13-2016, 2:28 PM
My Bishop #10 came with one of those built in:

I think the patent of 1906 has run out.

jtk

Jim Belair
03-13-2016, 3:01 PM
My Bishop #10 came with one of those built in:

I think the patent of 1906 has run out.

jtk

Yup, I've got one of those also. Or there is this one. http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?cat=1,42884,63338&p=61618

And this one. http://www.tonetechluthiersupplies.co.uk/fret-slotting-saw-and-depth-guide.html

And there are modern Japanese saws that have a depth stop.

http://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools/Types_of_Tools/Saws/Japanese_Fret_Saw.html

paul cottingham
03-13-2016, 4:35 PM
I must admit, I would find that handy for sawing to a depth. I am good with saws, but still often oversaw the part of a cut I can't see. I would find it very useful. And I am a good sawyer, as I'm mostly a Neander.

Now, on the other hand, let's talk about Veritas' toe heavy, terribly balanced tenon saws (sorry Rob!)

lowell holmes
03-13-2016, 5:37 PM
You can measure up from the tooth line and make a mark with a black pen, then stop sawing when you reach the mark.

David Eisenhauer
03-13-2016, 5:50 PM
Get Derrick to send you some blue tape to saw to. No worries then mate.

lowell holmes
03-13-2016, 9:19 PM
Get Derrick to send you some blue tape to saw to. No worries then mate.

That's a good idea, and I have blue tape.

Frederick Skelly
03-13-2016, 9:24 PM
I must be missing something. Why not just mark the depth of cut on the workpiece with your marking knife? That's what I always do when cutting tenons and such?

Allan Speers
03-13-2016, 9:33 PM
I must be missing something. Why not just mark the depth of cut on the workpiece with your marking knife? That's what I always do when cutting tenons and such?

Because you can't see the other side.

I certainly don't need one of these, but if I were cutting a butt-load of dovetails or tenons every day, I'd definitely use this as a time-saver.

It's not unlike having a stair saw.

Frederick Skelly
03-13-2016, 9:42 PM
Because you can't se the other side.

I certainly don't need one of these, but if I were cutting s butt-load of dovetails or tenons every day, I'd definitely use this.

It's not unlike having a stair saw.

Hmmm. I mark the other side too and just keep checking. Seems to work ok for the things I do. To each his own, I guess.

Anyway, thanks for clearing me up Allan!
Fred

Patrick Chase
03-13-2016, 9:45 PM

Probably obvious but... I think this is supposed to help with oversawing the back of the workpiece due to the saw not being perfecty level. That's the scenario Paul Cottingham described.

I think this is similar to dovetail guides - It helps in some situations, but sooner or later one has to figure out how to control the angle of the saw anyway (such that a front mark alone is adequate) because there are cases where this sort of guide can't help, for example cutting the cheeks of a tenon with angled shoulders.

P.S. - I *like* heavy-toed tenon saws like the Veritas and some of the others with thick slotted spines. In the case of the Veritas there are actually weights in a spinal bulge above the toe. I wonder how hard those would be to "customize" (not eager to sacrifice mine to find out though).

Jim Koepke
03-14-2016, 2:22 AM
I mark the other side too and just keep checking.

If only a few cuts are being made this works fine for me. When washroom cabinets for my wife there were 26 saw cuts along each end for dovetails. My Bishop saw made cutting to depth without over shooting or under shooting much faster. When a lot of repeat joinery cuts need to be made, it is the one I use.

Ordinarily it isn't one of my go to saws. It has an awkward handle and the hang isn't what I like. It is better than a one trick pony, but not by a whole lot.

jtk

paul cottingham
03-14-2016, 3:01 AM
I should clarify; I have a serious neck injury that makes constantly leaning over to check the back of a cut very unpleasant indeed. My injury makes this rig useful, as it literally would increase the time (relatively pain free, that is) I would get in the shop by a significant amount. I think it would help with dovetailing for the same reason (great thought, BTW.)

never thought if if blue tape as a depth marker on the saw. Most excellent. It would still leave me able to cut at a slope, something practice won't help with. For me, a level saw is more an issue of how little feeling I have in my hand, believe it or not, lacking that feedback makes it difficult to saw level sometimes. Robs little jig would at least cut down on my swearing!

Patrick Chase
03-14-2016, 3:18 AM
I should clarify; I have a serious neck injury that makes constantly leaning over to check the back of a cut very unpleasant indeed. My injury makes this rig useful, as it literally would increase the time (relatively pain free, that is) I would get in the shop by a significant amount. I think it would help with dovetailing for the same reason (great thought, BTW.)

never thought if if blue tape as a depth marker on the saw. Most excellent. It would still leave me able to cut at a slope, something practice won't help with. For me, a level saw is more an issue of how little feeling I have in my hand, believe it or not, lacking that feedback makes it difficult to saw level sometimes. Robs little jig would at least cut down on my swearing!

I believe it, unfortunately. I used to ride my bike to work ~3 days/week (50 miles round trip), until a moron in a pickup decided to dart across 4 lanes of traffic to try to get to a freeway on-ramp that I happened to be crossing. C5-C6 are hosed, and those cause symptoms exactly as you describe.

Brian Ashton
03-14-2016, 7:01 AM
I can see it having an excellent but limited use.

I used to turn lots of legs and posts from 14" for coffee tables to 7' poster beds and many other furniture parts that required a saw cut depth reference such as bed post finials and bun feet. Many times I've needed to carve a double, triple or quad twist or flute in them. To start the flute I used a saw to cut a groove that will establish the depth of the valley.

I had to do a barley twist feature for a large cornice moulding many years ago. The owners had money to burn and were happy to pay for it to be carved by hand instead of settling on a machine made rope twist. I can't remember how many feet it was but I was at it for about 3 weeks.

Even though I have excellent skill with a handsaw a guide like that would have been well received. Leaning over to see a line or tape gets old pretty fast when you've been at it for hours or days and it would remove the need to concentrate so much on such a mundane task. I attached a block of wood to act as a depth stop but a fully adjustable guide that sets up in seconds would have been nice also. And for the price it would have paid for itself quickly.

I don't remember, but in times where there's hours of monotonous work I try to think of ways of making it pass easier and probably during hours of sawing thought of knocking up a magnetic depth stop like that myself.

Rob Lee
03-14-2016, 7:05 AM
I am a huge fan of Veritas tools, but I truly had to check my calendar on this one. Nope, it isn't April 1. I'm still waiting for my laser guided saw with retracting blade guard.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=74183&cat=51&ap=1

Hi Malcolm,

Certainly not a product most would need, but aids like this can be enabling for people with challenges. (We also make left-handed tools ;) ).

Historically, there have been many versions of saw depth stops produced commercially. They eventually found homes, and we assume ours will too....

Cheers,

Rob

Dave Anderson NH
03-14-2016, 9:48 AM
All right Mr. Lee. Enough snide cracks about those of us who are gauche and sinister.:D

Andrew Pitonyak
03-14-2016, 11:39 AM
When I saw that, my first thought thought was that it would be useful if I were cutting a dado and I wanted a uniform depth.

Malcolm Schweizer
03-14-2016, 12:53 PM
I see the point for dadoes, but at first sight, it looked like one of their April Fool's contraptions. I'm not kidding that I for a second said, "Oh my, is it April 1 already?" As for sliding dovetails, I guess it would work there as well, but you'd have to set it up on the "high" side of the saw so that it registers properly on the inside edge of the guide.

Anyway, I'm still awaiting my laser guide and retracting saw blade with electronic flesh sensing technology, but I know Rob is probably letting legal work out the patent issue on the latter.

paul cottingham
03-14-2016, 1:47 PM
I believe it, unfortunately. I used to ride my bike to work ~3 days/week (50 miles round trip), until a moron in a pickup decided to dart across 4 lanes of traffic to try to get to a freeway on-ramp that I happened to be crossing. C5-C6 are hosed, and those cause symptoms exactly as you describe.

Yep. I have a titanium spacer at c4-c5 and the disks above and below are basically nonexistent as well. I almost died when the put in the spacer (edema around the surgery site, I have a huge 21" neck, and any swelling can cause me to stop being able to breathe. I have heard that is a bad thing...) mine is from competitive swimming. All the miles of freestyle (at least 4-5 miles a day, probably much more) destroyed those disks. It is the head turning, apparently.

the complications from the last surger(ies) has made them gun shy about doing the other disks.