PDA

View Full Version : Trotec Atmos Mono Plus Carbon and Questions

Ali Kemp
03-12-2016, 11:38 PM
Hello all
New user here but long time lurker, my recent purchase has compelled me to get some serious advice. Please forgive the long post as I want to give some background on my issue and setup. I’ve recently purchased a speedy 400 along with an Atmos Mono Plus to add to my arsenal of tools at my shop. The setup is about a month old, and I have run into my first serious issue with about 40 hours of laser time.

My machine is an 80 watt C02, and I have been cutting primarily Acrylic and Plywood of varying thickness up to ½”. The setup has worked flawlessly up until a few weeks ago. I began to notice a sweet smell coming from my Atmos that was actually fairly irritating on my senses. I’m not normally overly sensitive to this kind of stuff but this smell irritated my nose and eyes.

Needless to say I called up Trotec the first tech had never heard of this issue but his boss told him that what is most likely causing it is the glue resins from the wood I was cutting hitting the Carbon. As most of you are aware each 20lb bag of carbon from Trotec is $250. Considering my carbon was reading only 3% saturated I was less than thrilled at a potential $500 purchase.

Naturally the first thing I did was come here and read every post I could find regarding carbon in an Atmos unit. The most relevant ones are below. The problem though is that none of the threads came to a conclusion on a suitable replacement.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?222745-Activated-Carbon-for-Atmos-(Trotec)&highlight=atmos+carbon
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?220326-Trotec-Atmos-Duo&highlight=atmos+carbon
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?218310-Filters-on-an-Atmos-duo-linked-to-Speedy-300&highlight=atmos+carbon

Well I went ahead and ordered the GC C-40 from General Carbon that was mentioned in one of the threads, this is the stuff they sell for laser cutter applications. I can say it does not work as well at filtering out all the odors as the Trotec carbon. The pellets themselves are roughly the same size but they are not the same shape. Trotec’s carbon is like gravel or rather granulated around the 4mm size mark, while the General Carbon stuff is in the same size its actually pelletized so little cylinders.

My theory among other things is that the shape is an issue causing less resistance and the vapors are not getting as much surface time before they exit as they do with Trotec carbon. The other thing I’ve read is that the Trotec carbon is treated with something to further help remove odor? I haven’t been able to validate this either as none of the inquires have come to a conclusion.

To bring a long post to a close I have still been unable to find a suitable replacement. I will end up getting carbon from Trotec because I need to use the engraver. If anyone here has been able to find something that works as well as the OEM carbon from Trotec I would love to know. My plan is to try and air out the new old stuff over time and hopefully reuse it later on down the road. I have zero experience with carbon so I’m not sure how well that will work. But it’s been barley used and seems ridiculous to throw away.

Has anyone else ever experienced this sweet smell? I have since setup a pre-filter in the box before my comfort box to further filter the air. This was something I should have done to begin with because I quickly saturated my main filter in the 40 hours of laser time. Ill chalk that up to nooby learning. Luckily I was able to blow it out with compressed air. I’m hoping that this setup will catch more of the resins before they get to the carbon.

Any insight into this is greatly appreciated!

Robert Tepper
03-13-2016, 1:31 AM
Hello Ali,

First of all, welcome to the group, there are some exceptionally knowledgeable people on here that have helped me.

I run an 80 Watt Rayjet and i run my machine almost 12-14 hours a day. I have the exact same Atmos Mono unit as you do. For 2 years I just ran a Harbor Freight suction unit and vented into the air. Last year we moved to a different area of Los Angeles and it has quite strict air standards.

I run a few different jobs that are not similar. First, I do a tremendous amount of vector cutting of mylar and it produces quite a bit of fumes.

I also raster engrave Rowmark , 1/8" thick red/white and then I vector cut the material into individual parts. this releases a tremendous amount of fumes also sucked up by the Atmos system.

When I purchased my Atmos system I totally filled the filter within 4 months. I did no fill the activated charcoal and I am still on my first two 25 pound bag.I am at 35% on the activated charcoal.

With the amount of filters that I use, I ordered 3 new ones so that I would have two extra when I filled up the first one. I did take and lay a large plastic sheet on the floor and place the charcoal on it and using low pressure from my air compressor I was able to clean a significant amount of dirt from it and used my shop vac to suck up the extra dirt. Also, be sure to clean the filter material at the very bottom of the unit just under where the charcoal goes.

Another thing that you might do is open the top where the two large hex flanges are. You will notice that there is a large area in the tray assembly. I went to the local hardware store and purchased several sheets oh hepafilter that I packed into the tray assembly. This will catch quite a bit of dirt and can be cleaned once a week under hot water.

I too experienced the sweet smell when manufacturing mylar and rubber stamp laser. I hope I have hit on some of your topics and questions.

Best Luck,
Robert Tepper

Ali Kemp
03-13-2016, 5:27 PM
Robert

Thank you for the reply and the insight into your setup. I have since added a pre-filter to the top box inside the Atmos to protect my Comfort Box from getting clogged up so quickly.

Regarding the carbon the sweet smell I'm talking about is a constant thing no matter if I am cutting Acrylic or Wood. When the unit was new it did not do this it was only in the last couple of weeks that it became really bad. The sweet smell you mention is it only when you working with certain materials or does it not matter what you are working with?

The carbon readout on the Atmos is based of 1000 hours of use, mine was only at 3% and already the sweet smell was unbearable. I'm really hoping I can air it out over time and use it again later on down the road as its pretty much brand new. The frustrating part is that the C-40 carbon I got from General Carbon is simply not working as well as the Trotec carbon. I did some tests with wood and leather, and the odors from both came out the bottom exhaust of the Atmos. When the unit was completely fresh I had zero odors. I'm not experienced enough but I believe its due to the shape of the carbon.

I have tried to clean everything out but the second I put one of the original carbon bags back in the Atmos that sweet smell comes back. Still trying to find a suitable replacement.

Ali Kemp
03-14-2016, 8:48 PM
Also just as a general inquiry for anyone reading this, for those of you that have other extraction systems home built or otherwise have any of you ever gotten a sweet smell from your carbon? I'm really curious about this in particular!