PDA

View Full Version : Laguna 14BX 2.5 hp. My first bandsaw.

Tim Cooper Louisiana
03-12-2016, 11:37 PM
Hello Creekers!

My first bandsaw has arrived. It arrived perfectly packaged and so far everything looks great. All I've done to this point is to put on the mobility kit and attach the table. I still need to add some Irving to my shop, so it will be awhile before I finish setting everything up. I haven't seen many user reviews on these models, so thought I'd share my input as I go along.

Russell Stanton
03-13-2016, 9:18 AM
That model is near the top of my list for a bandsaw and I will be very interested in your review. Especially in the resaw capability

Vince Shriver
03-14-2016, 9:25 AM
What's an "Irving"?

Matthew Hills
03-14-2016, 10:11 AM
What's an "Irving"?
Probably a reference to the artist, Irving Amen. Who wouldn't prioritizing getting the wall art up?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-2mr3MjtHNoM/TxaKiCuzxFI/AAAAAAAAIO8/kkooCxhUKgY/s640/1954+Slaughtered+Houses.jpg

richard poitras
03-14-2016, 10:57 AM
Here is a review from someone on LJ Forum posted on 3-8-16:
(This is not mine I am just passing the posted info on as we can not post links to other sites)

i purchases the 14 box along with the articulating 220v halogen lamp, mobility kit and 3/4 resaw king blade. When delivered it was well packages. Probably the best I have eve seen. It was packed tightly inside a box in molded styrofoam. The box was in perfect shape and I had now double that it had travelled safely to my home. Initially the machine looked great. I have had the machine now for several weeks and have yet to use it. There have been many issues with setup mainly due to lack of quality control on the Laguna. I do understand that these are mass produced Asian imports but the issues I have seen are kind of unacceptable.

First the machine vibrated at startup and shutdown and excessively while running. Laguna service sent out new tires which have corrected some of the problem. Using a dial gauge I determined that the spokes on the upper wheel not coplanar with the rim of the wheel which appears to be causing the vibration during start and stop. The wheels are coplanar and there were no issues with tracking. The bottom wheel runs vibration free with the blade taken off. The upper wheel appears to be balanced as I can see drilled divots in the back of the wheel. Apparently this wasnt sufficient to balance the wheel.

The guide blocks are not flat nor do they have square sides. The ceramic blocks are not square to the sides of the block making it impossible to adjust the blocks parallel to the side of the blades. Several of the blocks tip when tightening so I laid them on a flat surface and found that they aren’t flat.

The table insert edges are rounded like the insert had been sanded in order to flat tent it rather than it being milled flat. When I adjust insert set screws so the edges are flush with the table top, the insert sits about 1/32”above the table. If I adjust so the centre is level, pushing wood through catches on the edge of the insert table recess.

The table is flat, the motor runs quietly, the guide tower rack and pinion runs smoothly and the blade is easy to adjust. The fence works fine. it looks like a great machine and it is feature rich. But the quality control is not that great.

This being said, the customer service has been a good to deal with. They have sent me a set of tires, and are now sending me 2 sets of a guide blocks, 2 sets of ceramic blocks, a table insert and a new upper wheel. I wouldn’t have expected this from a new machine and I am a little dissapointed.
for now I am giving it 3 stars but am hoping it will be a 5 star machine once all items are fixed.

Patrick Walsh
03-14-2016, 9:48 PM
All the issues you have had in have also had plus a couple. Well not the wheel although my machine does vibrate quite a bit upon start even after replacing the tires.

I never complained to Laguna but after reading this wish i had.

Glad your machine is working well. Im plotting the purchase of a SCMI machine in the near future.

Tim Cooper Louisiana
03-15-2016, 2:32 AM
What's an "Irving"?

Oops. Wiring.

Bill Sutherland
03-15-2016, 8:55 AM
Is this the Italian version?

Chris Hachet
03-16-2016, 10:07 AM
I will be interested in this as I am contemplating a band saw upgrade in the next couple of years.

Tim Cooper Louisiana
03-16-2016, 4:17 PM
Is this the Italian version?

No, this is the upgraded version of the 1412. It's made as one single piece, that is heavier. It's also got a disc brake feature. Available in two versions 1.75 hp, and 2.5hp.