PDA

View Full Version : basswood

Mike Steinhilper
09-14-2005, 10:49 AM
I want to start working with something other than pine/poplar. Any ideas on Basswood? It's one of the few 'hardwoods' I can find, and it's cheap! But, I don't know much about it's properties... grain, color, etc.

Lee DeRaud
09-14-2005, 11:15 AM
I don't know much about it's properties... grain, color, etc.Very little of either, which is probably why it's popular with carvers and modelbuilders. Think "very hard balsa" and you've got the idea.

Tom Sontag
09-14-2005, 12:05 PM
Compared to tulip poplar, basswood is a little lighter in weight, a little less hard, and a little less stable. It is not rot resistant at all. I would consider it suitable as a secondary wood (drawer sides etc.) but it offers almost no appeal over poplar for a primary.

As mentioned, it excels as a carving wood. That's sort of it.

I cannot believe that Columbia SC does not have a hardwood store that carries oak or walnut or .....

Mike Steinhilper
09-14-2005, 1:21 PM
Tom, yes hard to believe! The only place I have heard about is out in the boondocks and the guy is hard to catch. Guess I'll just have to track him down. As some folks from around here have told me, for whatever reason, Columbia is devoid of good wood!