PDA

View Full Version : Cocobolo 009 out the door

Anthony Scira
03-12-2016, 5:56 PM
Here is a quick overview of what went into the latest build that just went home today.

https://goo.gl/photos/ZHEyWnHjHbxt2SXu5

Dave Gagnon
03-22-2016, 2:07 AM
Very nice work!

Keith Pleas
03-22-2016, 5:34 AM
Thanks for sharing! I had no idea how many specialized steps went into making a guitar.

John Blazy
03-22-2016, 1:07 PM
Wow - that's awesome!! I am super impressed by the clamping jig using bendable rods with the yellow rubber tips. I am not a guitar builder, although my business is getting me involved (google Dichrolam + guitar, and you will see - my laminates are in PRS, Martin and Jens Ritter guitars for purfling and inlays), so tell me - is that a common method among luthiers to clamp pcs down inside a space where clamps would be too unwieldy, or is that your idea?

Really amazing work - I thought it was cocobolo veneer til I saw the edge work. I assume veneer for the bent laminated body wrap (not sure what the term is for the profile of the acoustic body).

Is that Paua shell inlay material, or abalone? Do you laser cut that or by hand?

Anthony Scira
03-27-2016, 2:29 PM
Yeah that is called a go bar deck. I am far from the designer. But it is awesome. As far as the shell goes I bought that precut. I like working with wood inlays. My laser does not like cutting pearl.

Looks like that Dichrolam looks pretty cool. You make that stuff ?

george wilson
04-07-2016, 9:49 AM
Go bars and go bar decks were used hundreds of years ago by harpsichord makers.I used them in our harpsichord and violin making movie in 1974.

Bradley Gray
04-08-2016, 4:37 PM
I have made my whole shop into a go bar deck. I use bars about 7' long from ceiling to bench tops.

Pat Pollin
08-21-2016, 12:05 PM
wow wow wow nice work !

Julie Moriarty
09-06-2016, 2:51 PM
Thanks, Anthony! No need to go elsewhere when I need a step-by-step pictorial for building an acoustic. Someday, I will...

Matt Lau
09-11-2016, 1:47 AM
Nice work!

John Blazy
10-02-2016, 6:35 PM
Yeah that is called a go bar deck. I am far from the designer. But it is awesome. As far as the shell goes I bought that precut. I like working with wood inlays. My laser does not like cutting pearl.

Looks like that Dichrolam looks pretty cool. You make that stuff ?

I learned alot jus now about Gobar decks. need to do that under my main beam in my shop. Yes, I invented / make Dichrolam. Can't tell you about it due to forum rules, but if you are a contributor (for as little as 6 bucks a year) you can access the Lumber yard forum to learn all about Dichrolam and samples.