PDA

View Full Version : Repurposed Entertainment Center-Upgrade

Marion Smith
03-12-2016, 5:42 PM
Back when TVs weren't flat, we bought this Amish made Oak Entertainment Center to house our rather large TV, and related old school media hardware. We've since found a new use for it in the dining room. As you can see, it's a nice piece, but for this purpose, it has one major flaw...the giant space in the middle. My lovely wife asked if I'd make her another shelf. I'm still working off of an extension cord in the new workshop, but I'm making due with what I have for now. This time, my wiring cash stash will go to pay taxes. Anyway, I had some 1/2" plywood on hand so all I needed to buy was some 1/2" x 3/4" pine for bracing, and a 3ft piece of 3/4" x 1-1/2" red oak. I layed out the shelf dimensions and used my handy Ryobi cordless saw. It's thin kerf carbide tipped blade works great. Then I cut and nailed/glued a bracing strip and the oak front face piece after rounding over the front edges with the router. After one last dry fit and a little bit of sanding, it's ready for stain/finish. I'll add a couple more pics when done.

Don Sundberg
03-12-2016, 10:21 PM
Looking good! So are you going to add cup hook or fixtures to hold the plates?

Marion Smith
03-14-2016, 11:15 PM
No. We have a China cabinet for that stuff. The middle space will be for some of those larger items that we want to put away out of view.

Marion Smith
03-28-2016, 10:48 AM
Well, shelf is in. And thanks to my wife seeing Don's post, I was adding cup hooks and stemware rack. Color is off, but not a big deal. Doors are closed unless you are in there. It fits nice, it's sturdy, and it's just what my wife wanted. It's removable as well, all parts attached with screws.