PDA

View Full Version : Finish for padauk

Jeffrey Cole
03-12-2016, 5:00 PM
I am ready to finish the outside my box. I used Padauk for the first time and I am wondering what a good finish would be for this wood. I like the natural look as opposed to glossy. Any help is very much appreciated.
Thank you for your time and knowledge!!
Jeffrey

John Blazy
03-12-2016, 10:36 PM
Padauk is so cool - smells like vanilla when cut. Bummer that it turns brown with age, so I would recommend some finish that has exterior weatherability additives like UV blockers to extend the "red" time. I am not experienced in finishing Padauk with UV blocking coatings, but I always assumed they would help (like marine spar varnishes), but you said you don't want glossy.

Maybe an exterior grade antique oil finish might be better than a simply linseed oil or Danish oil, but the color will definitely fade.

If you want the color to last, keep the box covered. Maybe use a marine varnish, then steel wool it to cut the gloss. Curious what others have to say.

Post some pics.

Jon Nuckles
03-14-2016, 11:11 PM
I have tried BLO on padauk and would NOT recommend it as a finish by itself. It turns the padauk a nice rich red color, but on a piece that I did not topcoat it continually develops a white efflorescence. It wipes off easily, but it keeps coming back. I did a french polish over BLO on another piece and it looked fantastic, but I gave the piece away so I don't know what the finish looks like now. Do post pics. I have a lot more padauk and would be interested to see what you come up with.

Jim Tobias
03-15-2016, 2:38 PM
I have made a mirror frame from Padauk and also a coffee table for our house. The mirror frame is near a window and the coffee table is at the center of the same room. There is a lot of light in the room, but very little direct light on the coffee table. You can see the difference. The coffee table is much closer to the original color than the mirror frame. Same finish...Danish oil, let it cure for several weeks, then Target water based lacquer. Both pieces are several years old.

Jim

Dan Kopack
03-19-2016, 6:35 AM
I am in same situation, finishing up a hall table of Paduk and flame birch. I was told to use a finish with UV protection. Can anyone recommend a particular brand. Thanks.