PDA

View Full Version : Laser Cutting Burlap

Maria DeMott
03-12-2016, 3:03 PM
Hi Everyone,

Has anyone tried laser cutting burlap? If so, what were your results and experience?

Thanks in advance!

Maria

David Somers
03-12-2016, 4:12 PM
Maria,

I have never tried burlap and unfortunately dont have any on hand. But it is a natural fiber from a plant so it should be safe to cut. I have a feeling the laser wont weld the fibers together like happens with polyester fabrics, but then stranger things have happened before. <grin> If you have some jute or sissal twine in the house you could try cutting that and see how it reacts. Same material as burlap.

Curious to see what experiences others have had with it now?

Dave

Joe Pelonio
03-12-2016, 5:38 PM
That's correct, it cuts well but use air assist and watch for flaming up, and it does not weld itself. I stretched a piece of an old 100 lb. potato sack to try it, and would not do it a lot, without at least soaking it in water first because it flames easily.

Maria DeMott
03-12-2016, 5:58 PM
Hi Dave and Joe,

Thanks for your responses. I was hoping that the edges might "singe" enough to seal them. Once my laser is up and running again, I will give it a try also.

Thanks again!
Maria

David Somers
03-12-2016, 8:26 PM
Maria....I havent cut lots of fabrics so far. But the few I have used sealed well when the material was synthetic. Natural fibers cut fine as a rule, but didn't seal the edges. Polyester, microfiber, stuff like that works great. Materials with a blend of natural and synthetic fibers edge sealed OK.
Fabric stores often have boxes of remnant fabrics that you may be able to just take, or pay a small amount for. Unless it is quilting quality material. Then all bets are off. <grin>