PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Burl Bowl

David Delo
03-12-2016, 7:44 AM
Finished off one of the cherry burl blanks that I roughed out back in 2014. 9" x 3.5" finished with Watco & then buffed. Everything went well machining, sanding and signing the piece and then while burning "cherry" on the bottom, I put a second "e" instead on the first "r". To top that off I put March 2015 as the date instead of March 2016.I realize nobody else has probably never done stuff like that but stuff like that happens around here all the time. Also a couple pics of a sphere from some old barn wood plank that was suppose to be wormy chestnut. Have no idea if it's chestnut or not but I guess the worms never made it to that section of the plank.

daryl moses
03-12-2016, 8:27 AM
Nicely done!! [except the spelling goof, lol]

George Conklin
03-12-2016, 10:31 AM
Thank goodness I'm not the only one who makes mistakes like that. I feel much better about myself noow.
:)

Allan Ferguson
03-12-2016, 11:00 AM
Join the clobb.

Thomas Heck
03-12-2016, 3:07 PM
Nice work. I might be wrong, but the sphere looks like oak. The first poplar bowl I turned, I signed popular on it. Most people would never notice any way.

robert baccus
03-12-2016, 7:00 PM
At least you had the remaining IQ to recognize your misspelling.

Aaron Craven
03-12-2016, 7:36 PM
I kinda like it... It's a very cheery peace: makes you happy when you look at it. :D

Pat Scott
03-13-2016, 8:15 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only one that does stuff like that! Everything goes perfect up until the end, then I hold my breath hoping I don't screw up my signature. I've spelled Cottonwood as "Cottanwood" before, but I really hate when the tip of my woodburner momentarily gets hung up in the grain and I end up with a burned blob of who-knows-what that is unreadable. In those cases I sand it off and try again.

Robert Hayward
03-13-2016, 9:00 PM
Spelling story:

Neighbor behind me when in his early eighties routered a "Welome" sign for another neighbors house with house numbers below the Welome. Really nice job done in script, freehand, on a very figured board. Gave her the sign or plaque as a gift just after having her house redone on the outside. Windows, doors, fascia, paint, the works.

He offered to hang the plaque and the old lady agreed. I was asked to hold the sign while he drilled the holes in the masonry. While I was holding the sign I noticed the Welome. The old guy was shocked when I pointed it out. He asked me to not say anything and wanted to wait to see how long before the old lady noticed. That sign has been on the front of her house for over four years now. :D To my knowledge not one single person has said anything. She lives right across the road from me and looks after my house when I work out of town. So I am guessing she would have said something to me if she had noticed.

David Delo
03-13-2016, 9:31 PM
Well.................looks like I have plenty of cumpany in this groop of turners!

Tom Albrecht
03-13-2016, 9:51 PM
Finished off one of the cherry burl blanks that I roughed out back in 2014. 9" x 3.5" finished with Watco & then buffed. Everything went well machining, sanding and signing the piece and then while burning "cherry" on the bottom, I put a second "e" instead on the first "r". To top that off I put March 2015 as the date instead of March 2016.I realize nobody else has probably never done stuff like that but stuff like that happens around here all the time. Also a couple pics of a sphere from some old barn wood plank that was suppose to be wormy chestnut. Have no idea if it's chestnut or not but I guess the worms never made it to that section of the plank.

That's a beautiful "Cheery" bowl.

May I ask, did you make the beautiful spheres with a jig, or freehand?

David Delo
03-14-2016, 6:53 AM
Tom,That sphere was done with the Carter jig. I do some freehand also and must say that using the jig has actually improved my freehand skills. Here's pic of a 2.5" cherry sphere I did freehand yesterday.