PDA

View Full Version : In Search of a Brad Point Bit

Jim Koepke
03-12-2016, 3:20 AM
This is a rambling story about a day of rambling around.

After making a few hat/coat racks my thoughts have turned toward making heavier pegs. Instead of 3/8" a 1/2" end on the peg might be easier to make. For this a new brad point drill bit was wanted. I did acquire 3 brad point bits many years ago and have used them a lot. One of their features is starting spurs similar to those on an auger bit. These score the wood for a clean entry into the wood. This also works well when boring on an angle. Of course this could be done with a brace and auger, but for something I want to do in more of a production mode using the drill press is faster once it is set up.

My first stop was at the local ACE Hardware. Most of the premium bits were from DeWalt. They didn't have brad point bits. They did have pilot point bits but not what I wanted.

I really didn't want to go to Home Depot since they were further across town. However I was determined. Once on a quest it feels like defeat if one ends up coming home empty handed. All the bits at Home Depot were also by DeWalt, but they did have 'brad point' bits. Looking closer it was clear they didn't have the spurs I wanted. They had a lot of different types of bits, but none to suit my purpose.

Finally went into Lowes and surprise of all surprises, they also carry DeWalt and don't have the bits I wanted. So I started thinking about what other reasons are there to warrant a trip to Portland, OR.

We keep lists for our shopping at times so when we are taking a trip to Costco, we also consider what other things we may need near the Costco stores we shop. There are a few in the Portland metropolitan area. One is in Vancouver, WA which is near a Home Depot and a Building Supply with good prices on lumber. There is also one out near Astoria, OR on the coast. Astoria and the surrounding area have many other shopping attractions we enjoy.

There were a few other local places to try, mostly industrial supply houses. The bits they carry are mostly for metal working.

Then I remembered some of the trips Candy, SWMBO, and I have taken on the other side of the river. We always like to look in the shops in some of the towns we drive through. One town is right across the river from Longview. There is even a bridge across the river with access in Longview. It may not seem like much until you consider the next nearest crossing is about 40 miles either way.

Right across the river is Rainier, OR. Some people say what sounds like rain-ear. Others pronounce it sounding of what most likely gave it its name, rainy-er. There is an old hardware store that Candy and I had visited and I recalled being impressed with the stock on hand. Since we needed to go into town anyway and crossing the river is a quick side trip it seemed worth a try.

Besides there is a nice cafe and a garden supply shop we like all within a block of each other. We got about half way toward town when Candy mentioned that she wished we remembered to bring the camera to take pictures of the sea lions on the docks. I mentioned I thought that was in Astoria. She said it was all along the river. Sure enough, when we get into Rainier we can hear the seals barking. I guess as long as the salmon are in the river the seals will follow. We took a short walk along the river to see them. It was a sight to see all those seals out on the dock barking up a storm.

So we go in and sure enough, there are a bunch of DeWalt bit packages. Then I notice a few Irwin bits. Sure enough they have the 1/2" brad point bit I wanted. There was also a tool box Candy wanted. I told her she could get it if it would move some of her tools out of a roll around shop tool box in which she uses two drawers. The box was marked $31.99 with a yellow stick on tags over the original. I asked Candy if she thought I might get a break for this one being shop worn. She looked at me like I was nuts and said, "that ain't shop worn."

We finished looking around and took the tool box, the brad point bit and a Robertson drive hex bit up to the counter. I asked the guy if he had any lee way on this ugly toolbox my wife likes, any coupons or anything. He looks through his binder and fiddles with some pages and then says, "how about $19.99?" Fine by me.

So, it seems some places can bargain or they keep copies of the sales they can work with or whatever it takes.

But if you don't ask, you are not as likely to get. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Besides, now Candy has herself a toolbox she picked out for herself.

Did I mention it is a bit strange for my tastes? Oh, and the total came to less than the original price of the tool box by itself.

jtk

John Schtrumpf
03-12-2016, 4:21 AM
... Did I mention it is a bit strange for my tastes?
:) Gave me a nice smile to start the day.

Mike Null
03-12-2016, 7:25 AM
Ain't nobody gonna steal that toolbox.

Mike Cherry
03-12-2016, 9:08 AM
Great story Jim, thanks for sharing

Frederick Skelly
03-12-2016, 1:58 PM
Great story Jim, thanks for sharing

+1 That is one ugly tool box!

Art Mann
03-12-2016, 4:12 PM
I usually buy stuff like drill bits on Amazon.com. I doubt if you could do that with the tool box.

Patrick Chase
03-12-2016, 4:52 PM
I usually buy stuff like drill bits on Amazon.com. I doubt if you could do that with the tool box.

It's available (http://www.amazon.com/Sainty-Art-Works-24-033-Leopard/dp/B008SPXFAQ/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1457819172&sr=8-7&keywords=pink+toolbox)with free 2-day shipping via Prime no less, though Jim got a better deal.

Amazon sells the Colt (German-made) dual-land brad point bits which are OK in my experience. I like the LV ones more though.

Jim Koepke
03-12-2016, 4:55 PM

I often like to inspect what I am buying. In this case having the spurs was important for my use. Before looking at them in hand, I was not aware the DeWalt bits did not have the spurs.

On Amazon there is one listed at $4.99 with free shipping. The one bought in Oregon cost me $6.39 and I was able to use it later that day. The shipping on the Amazon item estimates it would be here sometime next week unless I wanted expedited shipping. With free shipping on the Amazon item, then I would have saved $1.40. I would have also missed the barking seals. My wife, as you noted, would not have a toolbox to thrill her senses and we wouldn't have had an enjoyable breakfast together at the Cornerstone Cafe.

I think the extra $1.40 was money well spent.

jtk

Sam Murdoch
03-12-2016, 5:19 PM
And I at first read that you were looking for a Brad Pitt Boint - had to see what that was all about :D.

Put my glasses on to see the tool box better and see that you got yourself a brad point bit - ah hah :).

Distinctive tool box too - nice !

Jim Koepke
03-12-2016, 5:24 PM
And I at first read that you were looking for a Brad Pitt Boint - had to see what that was all about :D.

I had images of drill bits with a picture of someone like Al Borland (Home Improvement) on the package being "Brad Point" brand bits.

jtk

Lenore Epstein
03-12-2016, 9:47 PM
It's available (http://www.amazon.com/Sainty-Art-Works-24-033-Leopard/dp/B008SPXFAQ/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1457819172&sr=8-7&keywords=pink+toolbox)with free 2-day shipping via Prime no less, though Jim got a better deal.
Bad influence! Maybe they make something I need in that style. I'm going through a bit of a leopard print phase myself...

Jim Koepke
03-12-2016, 10:59 PM
Bad influence! Maybe they make something I need in that style. I'm going through a bit of a leopard print phase myself...

Candy has been going through one for all the years I have known her.

jtk

Daniel Rode
03-12-2016, 11:05 PM
:eek: If my wife saw that tool box, we'd have to buy 2. One for her and one for my daughter.

Did I mention it is a bit strange for my tastes? Oh, and the total came to less than the original price of the tool box by itself.

jtk

Stew Denton
03-12-2016, 11:28 PM
Hi Jim,

I had to smile after reading the story. That tool box reminded me of something I read a few years ago, that (at that time) tool companies were making lighter weight tools with smaller handles, etc., for ladies. At that time that market was the fastest growing market for remodeling tools. I think it corresponded to an earlier surge in remodeling shows, at least one with a lady carpenter.

They also have guns at gun shops that are finished in pink....

At any rate, quite a tool box. Do you think it had been in the store for quite some time, or the guy thought "here is a chance to get that thing out of the store?"

At any rate, way to bargain. You came out pretty good.

Stew

Jim Koepke
03-13-2016, 4:56 AM
Do you think it had been in the store for quite some time, or the guy thought "here is a chance to get that thing out of the store?"

I don't know that it had been there very long. I do think they had enough room in the price to let it go. It is a pretty small town, but that is one of the bigger hardware stores for a ways on that side of the river. I do not know if it is how I communicate my request or if stores around here are more open to finding ways to satisfy customers. I tend to ask for senior discounts or green teeth discounts or what ever might apply. I keep doing it because often enough it works.

I do have a minor history in stage acting when I was young. So I know about the art of being convincing at what I am saying. It didn't work for me in sales since I do not like using persuasion of half truths and omissions. I could sell products I believed in, I couldn't push items that were on the "get these out the door" list. I don't like being someone I am not for a salesperson's paycheck.

Some Oregonians do cross the river to shop in Washington. It gets kind of annoying at times when the cashiers ask, "are you Washington?" Oregon residents can show their I.D. and not pay sales tax since there isn't sales tax in Oregon. It is an exemption Washington extends to bring a bit of money across the border. I have gotten used to the timing of the question and often will say, "I'm Jim and I live in Washington," before they ask.

jtk