PDA

View Full Version : Platter finish?

Dave B West
03-12-2016, 12:26 AM
Whats everyone think of CA as a finish for platters? Would it be safe to use for serving? Or just for decoration?

Whats your preferred finish on a platter?

Brian Kent
03-12-2016, 3:04 AM
Although it would be safe, Ii would not use it myself.
I use 1 or 2 coats of dewaxed shellac and then wipe-on poly until it is the desired gloss.

dan petroski
03-12-2016, 8:15 AM
I too use thin shellac and then buff using the beal buffing process with carnuba wax. Dan

Brice Rogers
03-12-2016, 10:46 AM
I used CA on a pen (5 coats of medium applying to a spinning pen - - about 2-3 seconds per application). I would think that it might be a challenge to apply to something as large as a platter as the "working time" is so short. I recall being told that the CA surface tacks in around 5 seconds.

Some other potential issues: You would also need to use a fan to blow the fumes away instead of breathing them or getting your fingerprints permanently recorded on your glasses.

Reed Gray
03-12-2016, 1:26 PM
Well, I want every thing I make to be used, and the more it is used, the better. So, that is why I prefer the walnut oils. Other than that, if you are displaying it on the wall, a surface finish. If it is a display piece on a table with 'things' in it, I prefer a wipe on poly, multiple coats, then a surface finish on top of that.

robo hippy

Pat Scott
03-13-2016, 8:18 PM
CA would not be my first choice, simply because of the large area that you have to cover. It's OK for pens or small items, but not for a platter.

I'm with Reed in that I want people to use and wash my platters, so I finish mine with Danish Oil. If it's strictly a display piece, a couple coats of wipe on poly should be easy enough.

Dave B West
03-13-2016, 9:54 PM
Thanks everyone. I would prefer that it be used so I'll try the oil finish.