PDA

View Full Version : foam for sanding disc holders

Bob Vavricka
03-11-2016, 8:56 PM
I am planning to make some sanding disc holders for power sanding on the lathe.
What do those of you who make these use for the foam/rubber backing?
I am planning to use Velcro to hold the sanding discs.
Thanks,
Bob V.

Hayes Rutherford
03-11-2016, 8:58 PM
I like the garden knee pad foam from home depot

dan petroski
03-12-2016, 8:12 AM
I use the exercise pads.get on at a garage sale. It'll last me a lifetime use 3m contact adhesive to put them on the mandrel and use sticky back Velcro sheet on the foam from McMaster Carr. Velcro sandpaper scraps from Klingspore. Dan

Bob Bergstrom
03-12-2016, 9:21 AM
I've made more than thirty different mandrels using everything from mouse pads, kneeling pads, foam flooring pads and exercise pads. Most have air bubbles which can pop and lose their cushion. Menards sells a kneeling pad made by McGuire auto products which has very small air spaces. Works well for ans all around pad for power sanding. Many stadium seat cushion make good softer ones. I use Goop glue to adhere them. Stays flexible and I tougher than the foam. Klingspoor sells the best Velcro I've seen. Very sticky adhesive on the back. Comes in sheets.

John Nordyke
03-12-2016, 10:39 AM
I have a set of six that give great service, and the short story is - turned tapered cylinders from glued up plywood blanks with a 1/4 threaded bolt buried in the lamination - about an inch protruding for a drill to grip...to the face of these I epoxied discs cut from foam sanding sponges - perfect consistency for the foam backing and then applied H&L tape...they work great!

Bob Vavricka
03-12-2016, 11:41 AM
That's a good idea, I have several that the sanding surface is worn out, but I haven't thrown them out yet. Thanks.

Bob Vavricka
03-12-2016, 11:42 AM
Dan, I looked and couldn't find hook and loop sandpaper scraps at Klingspore--do they do a bargain box of them?

Bob Bergstrom
03-12-2016, 4:03 PM
Dan, I looked and couldn't find hook and loop sandpaper scraps at Klingspore--do they do a bargain box of them?
Bargin boxes of hook and loop come and go on the Klingspoor site. It used to run about $17 a 5# box. They are sold out relatively fast so you have to watch for it. I usually buy 3 boxes if I can catch it in stock. It may be anything from 40 grit to 800. Also may be 1" to 4" wide. I use a hole saw with the teeth ground off so there is a beveled cutting edge on the outside of the rim. Chuck the holesaw into a drill and spin it against a grinder. If you don't need the circle I just cut it into squares.

Robert Willing
03-12-2016, 6:42 PM
I find Vince's product to be the best. http://vinceswoodnwonders.com/