PDA

View Full Version : More my preferred style of turning

Geoff Whaling
03-11-2016, 3:50 AM
More my preferred style of turning and more IG display items from the 2015 Turnfest event. Both the tops and Celtic knot pens are mine.

Alan Arnup
03-11-2016, 5:29 AM
Great work as usual Geoff ... well done!

Alan

Roger Chandler
03-11-2016, 9:40 AM
Great looking pens and tops, Geoff......thanks for sharing the work!

Allan Ferguson
03-11-2016, 12:18 PM
I really like the tops.

Geoff Whaling
03-11-2016, 6:29 PM
I really like the tops.

They are very popular, so much so that I don't have many myself after having made a few hundred.

Dale Parrott
03-13-2016, 8:50 PM
Great job on the segmenting Geoff.
I have studied, stared, and given myself a headache trying to figure out how you made the tops with all the triangle shapes around the outside edge. The Celtic Knots look very nice also. The knot on the middle pen looks a little different to me than the other 2. Is is a different design or maybe just the camera angle? I'd love to see more of your work.
Dale

Geoff Whaling
03-14-2016, 6:58 AM
Great job on the segmenting Geoff.
I have studied, stared, and given myself a headache trying to figure out how you made the tops with all the triangle shapes around the outside edge. The Celtic Knots look very nice also. The knot on the middle pen looks a little different to me than the other 2. Is is a different design or maybe just the camera angle? I'd love to see more of your work.
Dale

Dale, All the Celtic knots are made in the same manner. The middle one is just rotated about 45 degrees to the other two so a slightly different aspect. The patterns in the tops are achieved similar to Eli Avisera's techniques, though I had not seen his work when I started making my first linear laminated tops (the square and also a chess board pattern). When meeting Bonnie Klein and exchanging spin tops at Turnfest a few years back, Bonnie suggested I look up Eli's work.

Dale Parrott
03-14-2016, 9:09 PM
Thank you Geoff. You have given me a place to start.