PDA

View Full Version : Super Speed on Universal Laser?

Keith Winter
03-10-2016, 9:41 PM
Does anyone either A have super speed on their universal laser OR B know anything about it?

Basically they sick two 50-75 tubes in the laser and then stack the beams one right below each other to create a wider beam path to speed up the engraving. First laser beam goes through something like 4 mirrors and second goes through 6 mirrors I think to angle them right on top of each other when engraving. When cutting they combine the two beams so two 75 watts become 150w.

They charge about $5300 for the "super speed" optics and changes PLUS the cost of the second tube. Sounds expensive, but pretty great in theory one 75x2 could essentially engrave at the same speed as two 80w lasers on something like wood which requires more power, but using a single laser footprint in your shop. However it does add a lot of complexity with all the mirrors, and the actual output from each tube can vary slightly from tube to tube.

I'm wondering it if really works as advertised?

Kevin Groenke
03-10-2016, 10:01 PM
Hello Keith,
We have 7) PLS 6.150D's. We used to have a X660 Superspeed.

It is my understanding that the "superspeed" feature is separate and in addition to the X2 feature.

As you describe, on the X2 systems, the beam from two beams are combined into a single cutting beam to increase available cutting power (up to 150W).

The superspeed feature is intended to increase raster engraving speed rather than cutting. I believe this involves a beam splitter (or maybe an oscillator?) which effectively sends two separate beams offset one beam width apart on the Y axis so that each "step" the laser makes on the Y axis is twice the normal distance thus doubling the raster speed.

This might be total fiction, but there is a kernel somewhere that I heard this from somebody associated with ULS in some way.

We didn't opt for the superspeed in the new machines as most of our laser work is vector based.

-kevin

Keith Winter
03-10-2016, 10:06 PM
Yes that's exactly what I'm talking about. You said your old machine had it? How did you like it?

Paul Phillips
03-11-2016, 11:19 AM
Hi Keith, I researched this back when I first purchased my machine, here is a thread that may help bring some more insight.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?155265-Universal-Superspeed-feature&highlight=superspeed

Keith Winter
03-11-2016, 2:01 PM
Thanks Paul a good read. Wonder if anyone actually has experience using them since that 2010 thread? Or if they've even sold any since 2010 :)

Paul Phillips
03-11-2016, 4:41 PM
I Know, I would love to actually see one running, they have it splashed on their home page touting- "the fastest laser engraving system on the market- 210 inches/second (533mm/second)" I wonder how they came up with those numbers?

Rich Harman
03-11-2016, 4:52 PM
...they have it splashed on their home page touting- "the fastest laser engraving system on the market- 210 inches/second (533mm/second)" I wonder how they came up with those numbers?

They say 533 cm/sec (5,334mm/sec).

Kev Williams
03-11-2016, 5:19 PM
I Know, I would love to actually see one running, they have it splashed on their home page touting- "the fastest laser engraving system on the market- 210 inches/second (533mm/second)" I wonder how they came up with those numbers?
210" per second would be 2 simultaneous horizontal beam paths at 105" per second. Since Trotec & Gravograph are capable of 140" and 156" per second, 105" x2 is definitely do-able...

Paul Phillips
03-11-2016, 7:10 PM
They say 533 cm/sec (5,334mm/sec).
Oops, I stand corrected, thanks!