PDA

View Full Version : sargent/craftsmman plane question

mark kosse
03-10-2016, 4:31 PM
Hello all,

Does anyone know when Sargent used the bronze medallion embedded in the cap iron? I bought an old Craftsman plane with the bronze medallion in it. The iron has a an oval with a wavy craftsman logo in it and so does the medallion.

Thanks, Mark

Jim Koepke
03-10-2016, 4:59 PM
High Mark,

This is another one of those cases where pictures might be a help or at least appreciated.

This site:

http://www.sargent-planes.com/sargent-409-smooth-plane/

says it was from 1927 to 1939.

jtk

steven c newman
03-10-2016, 5:47 PM
Looks like this?
This one was by Millers falls...middle 1950s. Type 4 other than the Craftsman perks, it is the same as a M-F No.8

Sears contracted tools out, depends on which year sargent had a better price than Millers falls.

mark kosse
03-10-2016, 5:51 PM
333493Here are the pics. I avoid posting pics because when I'm on my ipad I can't control the orientation. I put it on here, checked orientation, rotated the original and saved it, but it still comes up wrong.

mark kosse
03-10-2016, 5:53 PM
And another. On this one I took the pic upside down so maybe it would show up right...

mark kosse
03-10-2016, 6:07 PM
By the way Jim, thanks for the link. I'd been there many times but never saw that written. You don't see these very often, either by Sargent or craftsman. I'm surprised they were made so long.

Steven, I think ours are different. I've seen those and I don't think yours is an actual separate inset piece, just bronze color. Am I correct? The back of the cap iron should have 2 peened studs if it is. Mine is Sargent made as under the frog it shows to be a 409 but it is a 414 using the same frog.

steven c newman
03-10-2016, 6:48 PM
sargent also made them as SARGENT in the inset piece. Don Wilwol has a few of the Sargent ones.

Mine was cast into the lever cap, by Millers Falls. The lever cap and the letters were nickle plated, the background is brass plated.

Brian Henderson
03-10-2016, 7:20 PM
And another. On this one I took the pic upside down so maybe it would show up right...

The reason it comes out wrong on tablets and cell phones is because those devices actually do have an "up". It's usually oriented for right-handed users, such that the camera is to the left and the "button" is on the right. This orientation is actually coded into the image so even if you take it into an image manipulation program and flip it over, it will be re-oriented when uploaded. This actually affects left-handed people most often because they want to push the "button" with their left hand, thus they hold the phone or tablet "upside down".

mark kosse
03-10-2016, 7:41 PM
Thanks Brian, that's good to know. I've had my screen orientation locked because I disliked it always changing on me so I thought locking it would stop the orientation change when I turned it around for the pictures.

I've never really taken to this ipad but I'm someone who has a flip phone so that ain't saying much. Mark, el dinosaurio.

Archie England
03-10-2016, 10:34 PM
I've bought and rehabbed four Sargent made planes (2 with the Sargent label (4s) and 2 with Craftsman). The Craftsman (#5s) each had that oval label; but, one of mine was blue; the other, red. All four were really good planes--three of which could take shaving at incredibly fine levels.

No other value than to affirm the oval label (and quality of this make of plane).

don wilwol
03-11-2016, 6:56 AM
http://www.timetestedtools.net/?s=Brass+badged

Bill Houghton
03-11-2016, 2:52 PM
I don't know, but that logo is pretty early Craftsman.