PDA

View Full Version : LV Bevel Up Smoother - A Review

Derek Cohen
09-14-2005, 2:18 AM
Here is a link to my recent review of the LV Bevel Up Smoother.

All comments and constructive criticism welcomed.

http://members.iinet.net.au/~derekcohen/reviews/bus/index.html

Regards from Perth

Derek

Alan Turner
09-14-2005, 5:04 AM
Derek,
Thanks for link. Excellent review. I use the Gordon for figured woods, and tropicals, and a 604c for the more usual woods. I have lusted after a LN 4 1/2c, but never pulled the trigger, finding other ways to spend the tool budget. I have also lusted after a good British Infill, and have given thought to the Ashley Isles. Now you have me thinking that the BUS is the way to go. Yikes. More thinking required. Lacewwod is a tough one for me. Did you play with your tests on Lacewood? I ask becuase I have never owrked Jarrah or Karri. It is probably easier than both of these, but was just curious.

Derek Cohen
09-14-2005, 7:14 AM
Hi Alan

I have not used Lacewood - perhaps someone here may comment on that one. However, you will know how the HNT Gordon performs on that. I would expect the BUS to go a few steps better than the best of the Gordon.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Terry Beadle
09-14-2005, 8:46 AM
Thanks for the great review. These efforts are really appreciated and I wish more of these type reviews hit the magazines. I particularly like the combination of the planes selected to be reviewed. A woodie amongst the steel is refreshing. That seems to me to indicate an open mind and not an agenda.

A note that I've been pondering in this area of dedicated smoothers is the comment by David Charlesworth in his CD that his Stanley 05 is ' ... set up as a super smoother.' Because his techniques involve taking .0002 or so shavings with stop cuts etc, the plane used needs to be a smoother in nature as opposed to a traditional jack quasi scrub setup. The point being, these dedicated smoothers are not long enough and if I understand Charlesworth's technique, the idea plane is some thing like the Sheperd Tool 17 1/2 inch panel plane. The panel plane is long enough, can be set up like a super smoother and has the ideal mouth for a dedicated smoother. Although the plane description on the Sheperd web site doesn't directly indicate it's use in this manner.
Has any one set up a medium sized panel plane for dedicated use as the tool to use for dimentioning stock as well as the smoother role?

Again, thanks for the niffty review.

Mark Singer
09-14-2005, 9:10 AM
Excellent review! I apprecaate the comparisons and care you take in reviewing and comparing fine planes...very helpful!

Derek Cohen
09-14-2005, 9:15 AM
Terry

Thank you for the kind words.

The ideal plane for you is the LV LA Jack. This can easily be set up just the way you want - small mouth, thick blade, high cutting angle (actually any angle you like), high weight, and true panel plane length. I know some who use this as their dedicated smoothing plane.

I have used the LV LA Jack this way as well. But it works best on boards that are flat, where as a shorter smoothing plane will do a better job on a wider range of boards (most boards are not that flat).

Regards from Perth

Derek

Mark Singer
09-14-2005, 9:35 AM
Derek,

I bought the LV LA jack based on your review! Thanks!!!

Dan Stuewe
09-14-2005, 12:55 PM
Derek,

I bought the LV LA jack based on your review! Thanks!!!

Mark, is that why I was able to buy your Primus Pattern Jack?

;)

Gary Herrmann
09-14-2005, 1:41 PM
Quick Derek, do a review of the LA Jointer so I can use that as ammunition to convince SWMBO that I must get it while I can get the fence with it free! :D

John Miliunas
09-14-2005, 10:12 PM
Derek, many thanks for the wonderful review! You have reaffirmed all that I've been hearing about it!:) Now just have to figure out where/how I'll get the funds for it!:D I am pretty convinced that will be the next addition to my mini-stable!:) :cool:

Dan Forman
09-15-2005, 12:02 AM
Derek---Thanks for the thoughtful review. I bought one of these a while ago on your initial impression, it is indeed a sweet plane, handles like a sports car with it's low center of gravity. Looks like I'm going to have to get the big brother jointer too.

Dan

Mark Singer
09-15-2005, 1:47 AM
No , I have had the both for a while now....and really need to make room ...I have 2 many planes....I change from time to time... I just ordered a couple more Knight woodies....always experimenting...Gene Colison is worse than I am...:rolleyes:
Mark, is that why I was able to buy your Primus Pattern Jack?

;)

Mike Wenzloff
09-15-2005, 1:54 AM
No , I have had the both for a while now....and really need to make room ...I have 2 many planes....I change from time to time... I just ordered a couple more Knight woodies....always experimenting...Gene Colison is worse than I am...:rolleyes:
Glad I don't have too many :)

Mike

Philip Edwards
09-15-2005, 2:21 AM
Terry
Don't forget that Mr Charlesworth roughs and dimensions his stock with machines-his planes are for final finishing only, hence his 5 1/2 being set up as a smoother/panel plane.
I still think there's a place for a dedicated smoother in my shop,
Hope this helps
Phil