PDA

View Full Version : Late summer visitor

Bill Neely
09-14-2005, 2:07 AM
This guy (or a close relative) normally comes around during the winter but he's early this year. Hope that's just a coincidence!

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b318/plainolebill/Hawk0905005.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b318/plainolebill/Hawk0905007.jpg

Woodworking content. This old apple tree is next to my shop.

Mike Cutler
09-14-2005, 4:31 AM
I bet your shop is rodent free while that watchman is on guard.
Nice shot.

Jim Becker
09-14-2005, 9:31 AM
A real beauty!! These are such beautiful creatures, and although I fear for our smaller feathered friends when they are close around, it doesn't temper my awe over these larger birds when they make their rare visits close to humans.

Bill Lewis
09-14-2005, 10:11 AM
We have tons of red-tail around here they are so cool. I've never been able to get a good picture of them, (or hummingbirds) way to go!

Bill Neely
09-14-2005, 2:06 PM
You can't really tell from the photo but this bird is much smaller than a Red Tail. I think it's a Sharp Shinned Hawk.

We have tons of red-tail around here they are so cool. I've never been able to get a good picture of them, (or hummingbirds) way to go!

Doug Shepard
09-14-2005, 2:28 PM
Very cool! I have a friend that wants to meet him. Maybe that big boy can convince my little troublemaker to stay inside or least stay out of them trees.

Vaughn McMillan
09-14-2005, 5:27 PM
Great picture, Bill. We've got a couple resident red-tails in our trees, but I've not been able to get a decent pic. We've also got about a bazillion hummingbirds (LOML puts out nearly a gallon of sugar water daily). I've never seen a sharp-shinned hawk. Are they rare or endangered?

In never ceases to amaze me how much wildlife lives here in Los Angeles. I've seen deer grazing on the grass fringes of our parking lot at work in Burbank, coyotes walking down the street in broad daylight, and the whole assortment of possum, raccoon, squirrel, chipmunk critters as well. Haven't seen any of the bear or mountain lions, but have seen signs of their presence.

My house is about two good frisbee throws from the Angeles National Forest boundary, so animals aren't too big of a surprise, but my office (where I've seen quite a few animals) is adjacent to I-5 and in the midst of lots of civilization.

- Vaughn

Bill Neely
09-15-2005, 3:05 AM
We live in a small city but it's surrounded by forest and field. According to my wife this bird isn't endangered. We get the occasional flyover by Bald Eagles, millions of Canadas, and a few flocks of Whistling Swans during the winter. Next week we are going to go to Central Oregon to a spot where at this time of year Kokanee spawn out of a lake and the Eagles and Osprey fish. Pretty spectacular. Sometimes you can see as many as 10-12 eagles hanging out along a stretch of river about 1/4 mile long.