PDA

View Full Version : My First Madrone Bowl

Rick Bailey
03-09-2016, 10:35 PM
A piece for my chiropractor that gave me the logs.
Twice turned, it moved almost a full inch.
I didn't have enough wood to clean up the inside.
So I call it Art.:D

Rick Bailey
03-09-2016, 10:42 PM
Oh,
I forgot to mention it was all done with scrapers.
Just like Robo.:)

Randy Red Bemont
03-10-2016, 7:40 AM
I like the look of the different wall thicknesses. It makes someone think "how did he do that!"

Red

Brice Rogers
03-10-2016, 12:07 PM
Rick, that is kind of interesting having the oval on the inside. BTW, as far as I can tell from the picture, if the outside is now round, you still have enough meat on thick part of the bowl to make the inside round as well.

Reed Gray
03-10-2016, 7:48 PM
Madrone exceeds all levels of logic. The oval effect looks good.

robo hippy

Rick Bailey
03-10-2016, 8:07 PM
Thanks guys,

Randy, that is what everyone has said that seen it.

Brice, I got kinda spooked with the cracks so I didn't want to chance it.

Reed, true words you speak.

By the way I sharpen my scrapers on my new robo rest and it was real nice to be able to get the proper angle on them.
I really like it thanks.

Ralph Lindberg
03-10-2016, 8:57 PM
Madrone exceeds all levels of logic. The oval effect looks good.

robo hippy

I'm reminded of your thin-walled bowl that looked like "waves" around the rim.
One of the guys down in Olympia did a wet-green bowl with beads, then let it dry. When he was done, it looked like one of those pottery bowls made from ropes of clay, that then sagged... really neat.

Brice Rogers
03-11-2016, 12:21 AM
Yes, cracks can be a concern. I can understand your reluctance.

I posted a picture on the GGMG of a HF that I turned from a spalted Liquid amber that had really severe cracks. I wanted to learn from the misfortune - - that is why I continued rather than turn it into fire wood. I had the outside looking okay when the cracks formed. So I wrapped the outside with filament tape and stretch wrap so that I could hollow the inside. I figured that if it lost integrity while hollowing at least I wouldn't get hit with the pieces. Also, when hollowing, the turner isn't typically in the line of fire. I ended up being able to turn the inside just fine. I filled the cracks with fine sawdust and CA. It ended up being an interesting piece.

Jon Nuckles
03-11-2016, 11:19 AM
I posted a picture on the GGMG of a HF that I turned . . .

Ok, Brice: I googled GGMG and got suggestions of "Golden Gate Mothers Group" and "Greater Greenville Master Gardener." I give up; what is it?

Brice Rogers
03-11-2016, 12:25 PM
Jon, Ha ha. Sorry about that abbreviation.

That is the famous (or is it infamous?) Grizzly Green Monster Group, one of the SMC (this website) community subgroups. I don't know if it is going to work or not, but here is a link to my repaired badly cracked bowl:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/group.php?do=picture&groupid=29&attachmentid=331914
Jon, if you can't see that link, let me know and I'll just enclose the picture in this thread.

I am also attempting to attach a picture that I took, of the crack that opened up widely after I soaked the vessel with wood hardener (I could hear it cracking within a few minutes of the application of the Minwax hardener ...strange!). I am also attaching a picture of how I taped and stretch wrapped the bowl to the chuck to turn the bottom. I did something similar when hollowing. You may not notice, but the first layer of tape is filament tape. It seemed very secure. I tool light careful cuts and kept the rpm down. Worked well.

Jon Nuckles
03-11-2016, 3:43 PM
Thanks for the explanation, Brice. It seems to me that Roger Chandler may have mentioned that group once or twice. I should have made the connection. The link takes me to a page that says you have to be a member of the group to see the picture. I would like to see how it came out. I have repaired a crack or two, but nothing as large as those! The sounds must have been very unpleasant to hear after all the work to hollow it out.

Brice Rogers
03-11-2016, 4:02 PM
Jon, I applied the wood hardener before I had fully hollowed out the base. So the lip was perhaps 3/8" thick but towards the bottom inside it was probably over an inch. So when the solvent-based hardener soaked in, it must have applied forces unevenly. I could not only hear it crack, but it was cracking in front of me. I covered it with a cloth and left the shop. The next day the cracks had partially closed. I was thinking of making it into a piece of firewood, but I thought that I wouldn't learn anything doing that.
Here is a picture of the finished product. The bowl is about 4" high and 8" dia. It turned out better than I expected. Not perfect, but the spalting makes it interesting enough.

The wood is spalted gum or liquid amber. It has a tendency to want to crack.

333567 333566

Jon Nuckles
03-11-2016, 4:34 PM
That did turn out nice. The spalting not only looks good, but it does a great job of hiding any evidence of cracks.

Brice Rogers
03-11-2016, 11:36 PM
That did turn out nice. The spalting not only looks good, but it does a great job of hiding any evidence of cracks.

Thanks for your kind comments.